Remove this ad

Lead

May 14 14 5:18 PM

Tags : :

FIFA have today published it's Congress agenda for this year and yet again there are no new members listed, I was hoping that we would see at least 6 new members this year (French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Martin, Sint Maarten & Gibraltar) who are all Full members of their Confederations this will mean that their qualifiying matches for their continental championships that start later this year will remain not regarded as full official internationals as FIFA will not recognise them in their rankings or their match lists; if these full members are not admitted then thay will almost likley not be included in the draw for the 2018 World Cup that is due to take place next July as the closing date for entries will be about March time next year.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/bodies/02/33/88/25/congressagenda2014_neutral.pdf

Last Edited By: Moses May 14 14 6:38 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 14 14 5:24 PM

It's sad that FIFA does not do more to bring them in, rather than just sit and wait for them to fill in the application satisfactorily, while simultaneously changing the criteria.
They should behave more like the EAFF did with the Northern Mariana Islands.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 14 14 5:32 PM

nfm24 wrote:
It's sad that FIFA does not do more to bring them in, rather than just sit and wait for them to fill in the application satisfactorily, while simultaneously changing the criteria.

And from what I've read recently it looks like thay are going to help NMIFA with the application to next years AFC Congress to become a full member, that will then bring the total to 7 and that is without the likes of Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati & Tuvalu who are all looking for FIFA membership as well. All it needs now is for CAF to consider upgrading Reunion & Zanzibar and for Kosovo to be recognised by the UN (Russia & Serbia) and all will be great with the world of football. If my sums are right that brings the total of eligable non-FIFA members to 13 which would bring the total overall FIFA membership to 222. No doubt that Bonaire & Greenland will also have a question to ask as well as that could then push membership up to 224.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 14 14 6:42 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Yes but I expect that will all take 20 years or more.

True, but here's hoping, I'm also hoping at some point to visit FIFA House and see if I can look at all the archive information (including congress minutes) up to and including 2010 which have not been made available yet to the general public as I think that it will form some interesting reading in regards to the admittance of past new members.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 15 14 11:59 AM

If you do, try to get into their "library" (basically a broom cupboard) which probably has many very exotic and interesting books.
On the DVD set "FIFA 50 years (sic) of African Football" there were many scanned documents including correspondence between FAs and FIFA, along the same lines you mentioned above.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#6 [url]

May 15 14 2:36 PM

Moses wrote:
nfm24 wrote:

And from what I've read recently it looks like thay are going to help NMIFA with the application to next years AFC Congress to become a full member, that will then bring the total to 7 and that is without the likes of Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati & Tuvalu who are all looking for FIFA membership as well. All it needs now is for CAF to consider upgrading Reunion & Zanzibar and for Kosovo to be recognised by the UN (Russia & Serbia) and all will be great with the world of football. If my sums are right that brings the total of eligable non-FIFA members to 13 which would bring the total overall FIFA membership to 222. No doubt that Bonaire & Greenland will also have a question to ask as well as that could then push membership up to 224.

And Monaco, if they ever get their act together and behave like a nation. Vatican City, Nauru and Marshall Islands are all independent states too, but might need 100 years more to join. Niue is an OFC associate member, so would technically be ahead of Micronesia and Palau, who are not associates of any confederation. St. Barthélemy is also looking at the possibility of joining CONCACAF. And there's also the oft-forgotten Mayotte and Western Sahara (full member of the OAU), not to mention Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, St. Pierre & Miquelon. FIFA could realistically have 240 Members and be OK.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa May 15 14 2:39 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 15 14 4:18 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
FIFA could realistically have 240 Members and be OK.

FIFA will never be OK no matter how many members it has smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

May 15 14 7:47 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Moses wrote:
nfm24 wrote:

And Monaco, if they ever get their act together and behave like a nation. Vatican City, Nauru and Marshall Islands are all independent states too, but might need 100 years more to join. Niue is an OFC associate member, so would technically be ahead of Micronesia and Palau, who are not associates of any confederation. St. Barthélemy is also looking at the possibility of joining CONCACAF. And there's also the oft-forgotten Mayotte and Western Sahara (full member of the OAU), not to mention Guernsey, Jersey and Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, St. Pierre & Miquelon. FIFA could realistically have 240 Members and be OK.

I did not leave these out on purpose; if my database is correct it could be as many as 375 if you take out all the confederations and FIFA itself as well as others, but I doubt we will reach that figure in our life time!!!!!!!

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#9 [url]

May 16 14 9:57 AM

I don't think there are as many as 375 countries if we take countries to mean independent states + their dependencies. I don't think the number goes even close to 300.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 16 14 3:04 PM

But now more serious. There is a tendency regions will separate themselves. I read last March there was an on line election in the Italian region of Venice and the majority of the population voted for independence. Catalonia probably will vote in November in a real election for independence and other regions are looking for independence as well. In Russia, i.e., Tatarstan, Degastan, Chechnya and more regions. In Spain also Basque Country and Galicia. When I visited Sardinia three years ago I read slogans for independence, especially at roundabouts. Bretagne and Corsica in France are looking more or less for independence. I won't be suprised if in Africa many tribes will look for independence. So I am very sure several countries will subdivide in the next 100 years.

Well, watch this video and you will see what I mean.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 16 14 5:53 PM

Don't forget Ukraine, who since the start of the year have chalked up at least 3 declarations of breakaway states...

In fact:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_autonomist_and_secessionist_movements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_separatist_movements_in_Europe

Not everything that currently exists would be included there and not everything is as serious as others, but in the extreme scenario that everyone in these lists got their way, you'd be clear of 300 to say the least.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 16 14 5:54 PM

let us not forget Scotland.......oeps they are already members:)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help