Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#21 [url]

Jul 7 12 10:16 PM

SE-Stubbs wrote:
Do you want to speak with the Swindon-based Saint Helena community about playing Mark?

So far the intererested teams are Occitania, Isle of Man, Due Sicilie, Tamil Eelam, Sark and Alderney.

Also Pieter on August 25th Alderney host Sealand at 12:00.

If anybody can get in touch with the St Helenians, that would be great. I don't have their contact details.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

agriev2

Forum Newbie

#22 [url]

Mar 24 13 9:52 PM

I do think that 2015 Jersey is definitely a target for the football team. I live in Kingston Upon-Thames in Surrey so the Saint's community in Swindon is a bit away from me at this moment but my Grandmother was born and raised in St Helena so I would be a massive fan if St Helena had a football team. I was also wondering, as I'm 17 at the moment and will be 19 during the 2015 Island Games, would it even be remotely possible that I would qualify for the St Helena football team. I know that under FIFA rules I would be eligible for the team but have no idea if i would be for the Island Games.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#23 [url]

Mar 25 13 1:14 AM

Section 6 - Conditions for Representing a Member Island
To represent a Member Island, a competitor may qualify either by:
6.1 having been born on that Member Island.
6.2 A competitor may be considered to have been born on a Member Island if the mother
was normally resident on that Island immediately prior to the birth and returned to the
Island soon after.
6.3 Having been resident on that Member Island for the period of 12 consecutive months
prior to the date of the Opening Ceremony of the Games to be entered.
6.4 Any person wishing to gain qualification under 6.3 shall be deemed to be a permanent
resident for the purpose of qualification if they are not residing on that Member Island
because they are following a programme of study or involved in military service out of
the Member Island.
Any competitor not complying with the above shall be subject to an automatic
disqualification from the Games

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#25 [url]

Mar 26 13 2:25 AM

St. Helena has enough players in the UK that would qualify, and plenty on St. Helena as well. It's just that nobody has quite worked out how to get the money to get the St. Helenians to the Island Games. They didn't want to compete with only UK-based players, as it would be unfair to those raised in the local system. They did various fundraising ventures in the UK and in St. Helena to try to get to the 2011 Island Games, but I don't know where all the money raised finally went.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#26 [url]

Jun 30 14 2:36 PM

November 2011 - Saint Helena 4-3 HMS Montrose.

I don't know if this is the first ever match by the Saint Helena national team (i.e. players living on Saint Helena), but I've not heard of any others.

A bit of news about their kit, which is apparently yellow and green, but no news about goalscorers or players.

http://www.shbc.sh/sentinel/Sentinel_120426.pdf

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Jun 30 14 2:47 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Aug 6 14 3:08 PM

it is not a priority to FIFA but you never can tell: FIFA has the money to help develop football , but membership is far away...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Aug 6 14 4:32 PM

What would be good is if FIFA acknowledged that they had received some communications from a non member on it's website about membership or closer links then we would not have this problem of having to keep searching for the information. I guess though that will never happen as FIFA does not care about the non-members, some only want FIFA to acknowledge they do exist even if they do meet membership requirements.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Aug 6 14 6:26 PM

@DJLiesel No problem, they've got a great league, and a very supportive local community. I wrote something for their local paper in April about the Tristan da Cunha island side, would you want their details? I'm also in touch with Alderney, Sark and Herm, it'd be great to see them getting an opportunity outside of the Island Games.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Aug 6 14 10:46 PM

nico1 wrote:
"The St Helena Football Association has contacted FIFA to 
improve links and to become recognised."

Why not just contact the English FA?  (or Scottish, Welsh etc)
I imagine that would be more productive, rather than waiting for FIFA to get out the atlas.
It also seems more likely that the FA would offer material support.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Aug 7 14 7:50 AM

I remember reading in Outcasts! that New Caledonia joined FIFA, although they were a French territory, the sheer distance between them and France meant that it was impossible to compete in leagues/cups so they were admitted to FIFA. Could the same thing happen for St Helena? (I also remember reading that they were planning a referendum for independence in 2012)

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#36 [url]

Aug 9 14 10:49 AM

Tahiti also joined FIFA as a French territory, way back in 1990. That was before FIFA tightened up the rules on dependencies joining.

Saint Helena would need to join a continental confederation first (CAF), but they would need financial assistance to go anywhere off-island. I think their immediate priority in terms of competing would be the Island Games - they already raise funds regularly to compete in this, so it would just mean concentrating on football rather than other sports (but I don't see that happening, as at least 16 people would have to go as part of the team).

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Aug 9 14 11:52 AM

But isn't it also rather likely that many of the St Helena competitors in other sports at the Island Games would also be in the football squad? So it wouldn't necessarily be an extra 16.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#38 [url]

Aug 10 14 9:32 PM

That's possible - also, many "Saints" living in the UK wanted to play in the 2011 Games. It would certainly be much easier and cheaper to use 'Saints' who are nearer to the host island (which is usually in Britain/Europe), but they would either have to have been born in Saint Helena, or their mother would have to be a Saint who went back to live in Saint Helena immediately after having her child in another country. Some 'Saints' in the UK are 2nd or 3rd generation, so would not be eligible, and it's possible many of those eligible might also be crap at football. But as they formed a team last time of UK-based Saints, it looks like it can definitely be done - they just need to concentrate on the eligibility rules and work out a sensible solution with the authorities on St Helena (maybe have 10 from UK, 6 from the island, or some other financially plausible combination). If they really, desperately want to play football at the Island Games, they will find a way.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#39 [url]

Nov 3 15 10:19 PM

Does anybody fancy having a go (again) at raising money to get Saint Helena playing at the 2017 Island Games in Gotland? I think now or the start of 2016 is an ideal time to raise money, and money can be raised surprisingly quickly if enough people get to know about the project. Anyone have any ideas? Target amount necessary?  They are the only IIGA member that hasn't played in the football competition.  I feel that Swedes/Gotlanders would be very willing to help if they knew about their plight.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Nov 5 15 5:59 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I feel that Swedes/Gotlanders would be very willing to help if they knew about their plight.
Wouldn't be the first time this year a British football institution in need got their deserved help mainly from overseas.

Did you hear about Sheffield FC's attempts to crowdfund to build a stadium/museum at their original Olive Grove home, they've not reached their goal yet but most of the efforts in funding have come from clubs/fans in Germany, apparently in England the professional Sheffield clubs are the only ones making any serious contributions... very few Premier League clubs have offered to dig under their proverbial sofas...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help