Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 16 15 3:19 PM

Tags : :

According to Dutch newssite http://www.nu.nl/sport/3973799/alle-fifa-landen-willen-wk-2018.html all 209 FIFA members will enter. This would be the first time, althouh it wouldn't surprise me if one or more teams withdraw before playing a single match.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jan 17 15 2:30 PM

pieter wrote:
so probably we will see Bhutan make their first appearance; no new members?
Not unless you count South Sudan, who have never played a World Cup match before. Whether any tagalongs like Northern Mariana Islands get in unoficially through double-meaning tournaments remains to be seen.

And if $300,000 isn't enough to fund a delegation travelling to a neighbouring country for a few days and preparing for said match there's something wrong with the way they're spending it. In the event of continued success I'm sure there's structures in place to ensure an FA doesn't bankrupt itself through participation...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 17 15 8:48 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
And if $300,000 isn't enough to fund a delegation travelling to a neighbouring country for a few days

If they make them travel the long way round (like Mauritania vs Mauritius) then it might not be.   Depends how flamboyant the suits are with their expenses.  And in football, particularly in FIFA, they're pretty flagrant.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#7 [url]

Jan 18 15 3:26 AM

Nice to see that Curaçao's recent great form has meant absolutely nothing at all, as FIFA has used the August 2014 rankings (despite there being 4 issues of the rankings since then), meaning that Aruba are rated Number 11 in CONCACAF. Let me see, who have Aruba beaten recently? Turks & Caicos Islands, British Virgin Islands and Guam. Yes. My mistake. Of course Aruba deserve to be 11th, ahead of El Salvador and Guatemala. No question. And Montserrat are clearly 3 places better than Bermuda, and showed it the last time the 2 teams met, only losing 20-0 on aggregate.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 16 15 7:34 PM

Much as Guam 2-1 India is technically a "shock" by many measures (and is being widely reported as such), I was not at all surprised. In the NFM24 internal rankings, Guam is about the same level as India. Even FIFA rankings have them only about 30 places apart, which at the bottom end is well within margin of error. Besides, India have regularly displayed an impressive ability to lose to almost anybody, no matter how "small", particularly away. What irritates me about it is that I put money on a draw. Blargh!

More surprising to me was the severity of the thrashing Malaysia got at home to Palestine, who were pretty ordinary when I last saw them. It seems Malaysians are only able to raise their game for matches against touring English Premier League sides (albeit fielding players who have never even got near the bench in England).

Sad for Bermuda, was really hoping they could scrape through.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#11 [url]

Jun 17 15 12:01 PM

I was equally unsurprised by Guam's win over India. They had, after all, just beaten Turkmenistan at home (and I consider Turkmenistan to be better than India). They'd also had good results in friendly matches away from home (2-2 v Singapore, 0-1 v Hong Kong) - both better teams than India. In fact, there was nothing shocking about the Guam v India result at all, except for those people who don't pay attention to international football.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 17 15 1:20 PM

Ah India.. well I'm not surprised. They have no top footballers really and insist on playing with league selection.
Don't get me wrong, I admire the teams that try their best with domestic players rather than the ones with players based abroad and eligible only thanks to heritage (hello Guam and Philippines). But when you do so you need to be consistent and build a team out of those players rather than experimenting with new coaches and new lineups every other match as India and most of AFF teams do.
I don't expect them to change any time soon hence we'll continue to see the likes of India at the botom of anything football related.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 25 15 6:59 PM

SDb (in February 2013) wrote:
I prefer fifa ranking ...

For pedagogical reasons, I should be happy about the result of the draw ...

Netherlands, France, Sweden - one team of them will not qualify in any case. I'm not spiteful - therefore I hope that Sweden will finish as runner-up ...
In a very balanced group indeed the chances are very good that the runner-up of the group will be the 'worst' one ...
smiley: wink

Last Edited By: ctr Jul 25 15 8:39 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 26 15 8:59 AM

There is even a chance Sweden may win the group as the key is in the hands of Bulgaria. The Swedes win far most of their matches against Bulgaria easily (last defeat in 1967, then an unbeaten run of 12 matches which is still going on), which does not count for Netherlands and France. Both Netherlands and France usually underachieve against Bulgaria.

Swedish results also show a remarkable pattern. Good and bad years chages quite easily. Sweden are capable to do everything. The even showed this in both 2014 World Cup qualifying matches against Germany. From 4-0 down drawing 4-4 and from 2-0 up losing 3-5.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#20 [url]

Nov 13 16 1:17 AM

Not really too bad (yet). They are only a win away from the qualification places.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help