Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 21 06 5:13 PM

Tags : :

Thanks Nathan, will get onto it straight away!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Nov 22 07 9:38 PM

The match was played as part of St.Martin Day ccelebrations on Saint-Martin. BVI also played against a Saint-Martin club side (FC Attackers) on 10th November, and won 2-1.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 22 07 9:39 PM

In their first competition for 2007, the BVI Senior Men team emerged victorious in the St.Martin Day Football Tournament held in St.Martin over the weekend. On Saturday the BVI came up against the Attackers of St.Martin, who replaced Guadaloupe, after Guadaloupe withdrew from the tournament on friday. The BVI defeated the Attackers two goals to one. Rohan ChiChi Lennon got both goals in the second half for a come-from-behind win for the BVI. On Sunday, Avandale Williams scored from a brilliantly taken solo run in their second match to defeat the St.Martin National team one goal to nil. The BVI Team returned to the BVI with the championship trophy and a brilliant start to their 2010 worldcup preparation. Coach Vincent Samuel praised the young members of the squad, for performing up to standard. The BVI Team was comprised of nine new players and six experience members. 'I am please that the young BVIslanders are blending in very well into the team' Mr. Samuel when on to say. The draw for the worldcup takes place in December 2007, when the BVI will know who their first opponent in this prestigious tournament will be. The BVI will play the first leg of the worldcup playoffs in February and the return match in March 2008.

http://www.bvifa.com/artman/publish/

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Mar 2 08 6:08 PM

Yes, I remember reading about this match - it could be referring to St.Maarten? I think St.Maarten were the active part of the island at this time. I reckon this would have been a qualifer for the Caribbean Cup, and there were probably other matches...

I'm also thinking that the matches Bermuda v St.Martin in 1997, and Antigua v St.Martin in 1994 were played by St.Maarten (St.Maarten were playing games in April 1997, just before the Bermuda games was played), because here http://www.concacaf.com/Signals.asp?id=2/13/2001&year=2001#2 it talks of Saint-Martin's debut being in 2001.

Quote    Reply   
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Apr 15 15 4:13 PM

"All the legal aspects and possibilities have been verified and we meet FIFA's application criteria."

I wonder if they even read the rules at all.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 15 15 5:38 PM

St Martin

Let's hope that FIFA see sense, if they do then the case that Gibraltar have with CAS on 21/22 May will become even more important, the agenda is due out in the next couple of weeks so we will see. I think that the Northern Mariana Islands will be watching this with interest, as they where told the same as Gibralter (thanks, but you don't meet the criteria).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#12 [url]

Apr 17 15 1:35 PM

The problem is that they are seeking affiliation with FIFA while its clubs are still apparently affiliated to the Guadeloupean League, which itself is affiliated to the French system. The thing to do would be to first become fully independent football-wise from Guadeloupe, then apply. I'm not sure if the SMFA is not independent clubwise anyway - they have their own championship, and have sent their own representatives to the CFU Club Championship in the past. I think the problem is that they are not recognised as a league in their own right by the FFF. But if they want membership of FIFA, they should be looking to move away from that anyway, not get closer to the FFF.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 13 16 8:13 PM

"[French] St. Martin football evolves from district to league status".
St. Martin is now classified as a league within the French Federation of Football (FFF) and no longer a district managed by Guadeloupe.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 13 16 9:41 PM

nfm24 wrote:
So in practical terms what will change? I suppose Saint-Martin would be entitled to enter teams in the French Cup?
From the article:
"We have the possibility to be exposed to a higher level of competition, access to La Coupe de France for the 15 years and up for example, which is the main reason for this."

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#18 [url]

May 14 16 11:59 AM

It's a bit depressing that they done it mainly for entry into the French Cup..... The first few rounds are regionalised anyway, so at best they will play some teams from Guadeloupe and get knocked out. They can do that already. They were already full CONCACAF members also, so nothing changes in terms of being able to play more or less matches. So, basically, nothing changes.

I think now that Sint Maarten are back on the scene, they should have a regular tournament between these 2 and St. Barthélemy (who should split properly from St. Martin and seek separate CONCACAF membership - again this year on 18 June, they will play "Celebrity Sports Club" - why not play some proper teams?). There really is no reason why St.Martin/St.Maarten can't play each other either - there would be next to no travelling involved.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa May 14 16 12:03 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help