Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#81 [url]

Jun 9 15 4:19 PM

nfm24 wrote:
But how many Pohnpei players are in the 2015 squad?

Not an exact answer, but:

"Majority of the roster will come from Yap, then Pohnpie (sic), and 2 or 3 players from Chuuk"

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#82 [url]

Jun 9 15 6:51 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
"None of the Vodafone Fiji Under 20 soccer players will be travelling with the Fiji Under 23 side to Vanuatu this week to play in the Four Nation’s Friendship Cup."

Sigh!
Companies are sponsoring countries now? Reminds me of the African safari episode of The Simpsons, as soon as they land in the airport the country changes identity from "Tanzania" to "New Zanzibar" to "Pepsi Presents New Zanzibar", all before they've left their seats...

Quote    Reply   

#84 [url]

Jun 19 15 11:14 AM

"With the associated costs of sending two squads to the Pacific Games, as well as looking ahead to the World Cup qualifying campaign, the FFS Executive Committee decided not to send a men's team to Port Moresby 2015 and have instead diverted attention to the senior men's team."
similar problems for American Samoa,Cook Islands,Tonga

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Jun 19 15 12:42 PM

But these FAs have to ask themselves how to progress if not playing. We gonna have the four weakest teams in Oceania (American Samoa, Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga) in the first stage of the World Cup qualification. One will progress to the OFC Nations Cup. That means three teams will have three games in four years once again. There are players from these countries who play for over one decade for their country and are capped about ten times. No progress in Oceania football. I blame OFC for the most part.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#86 [url]

Jun 19 15 3:54 PM

Samoa, Cook Islands and Tonga decided to send women's teams, but not men's teams - possibly because they have a chance of a medal in the women's event with only Papua New Guinea a standout for the gold. American Samoa is not participating in either female or male events, so their excuse must be that they are completely lacking money to send even 1 team.

Quote    Reply   

#87 [url]

Jun 19 15 9:33 PM

But what happened to all the Blatter money that they were given? That would have been enough to buy every American Samoan a shiny new Adidas ball.

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Jun 20 15 7:31 PM

I guess pockets are big in Oceania as well as elsewhere in the world if you know what I mean. I believe that not all of Blatter Dollars end up where they are suppose to be.

Maybe 2019 in Tonga we will see more teams.

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Jun 21 15 10:17 AM

Yes I know it´s FIFA´s money but we have seen by now how FIFA works unfortunately.

Would be nice to see something like the AFC/OFC Challenge Cup where the lower ranked teams compete against each other.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#94 [url]

Jun 23 15 12:22 PM

Okay... Yes didn´t think about it that way but you are right.

As rare as you see these team plays with their real national teams I guess you can almost consider these U23 teams as their senior national teams.
Exceptions are the "big teams" like Fiji, Tahiti, Solomon Islands etc.

Seeing the schedules I´m suprised that Tuvalu and Kiribati don´t send teams even though they send touch football, volleyball and basketball squads.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#95 [url]

Jun 23 15 12:54 PM

nico1 wrote:

As rare as you see these team plays with their real national teams I guess you can almost consider these U23 teams as their senior national teams.
Exceptions are the "big teams" like Fiji, Tahiti, Solomon Islands etc.

I don't think you can do that, even with the small teams.

I think less than 50% of the players of the small teams are under-23.

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Jun 24 15 12:10 PM

Even FIFA hasn't yet gone as far as putting U23 qualifiers into the main list as ranking internationals... then we really will have come full circle.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#97 [url]

Jul 3 15 8:42 AM

Micronesia lost 30-0 to Tahiti U-23 in their first match today, conceding 20 goals in the second half. Oh well...

Other results (all U-23 teams)
Fiji 1-1 Vanuatu
New Zealand 2-0 Solomon Islands
Papua New Guinea 0-1 New Caledonia

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Jul 3 15 10:48 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#99 [url]

Jul 3 15 11:11 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Micronesia lost 30-0 to Tahiti U-23 in their first match today, conceding 20 goals in the second half. Oh well...
Shame, one more goal and Micronesia could have received a Thomas Rongen voucher, redeemable only after a period of 10 years...

Echoing what Nico said, hopefully this won't disillusion them too much...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#100 [url]

Jul 4 15 9:56 AM

Well, I didn't expect this to happen. Given that they've been more active of late, and that they had football at the Micronesian Games, it's surprising and somewhat disappointing. In 2003, they only lost 17-0 to Tahiti's full team, and this time they have conceded 13 more goals to Tahiti's U-23 team. If anything, their level of play has gone backwards, despite the recent 'upsurge' in activity/interest.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help