Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 15 15 8:56 PM

nfm24 wrote:
It seems geography was not a factor. Jordan vs Australia, about the longest trip possible.
Australia will play their home match in Perth, to compensate smiley: wink. I wouldn't expect there to be any regional limitations (there was East Timor v Mongolia in the last round), doing so for an Asia-wide qualification would be, well, limiting smiley: tired. I can't believe in this day and age that the AFC Champions League has essentially reverted to an American-style 'East and West' play-off series through to the final.

As for the groups, I like the look of Group C, everybody's second favourite national team Bhutan involved with Qatar and the Maldives, and China v Hong Kong, both sides of local media will probably be dragging this out of the archives from 30 years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_China_v_Hong_Kong_football_match

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Apr 15 15 10:36 PM

While it is fine for the likes or Jordan and Australia, it shouldn't be necessary for the minnows to travel so far. Mongolia vs East Timor is just stupid, as was Mauritius vs Mauritania in Africa. The money lost on those trips could have done much more for football in those countries.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Apr 16 15 8:27 AM

I prefer a non-geographical draw because everybody must be able to play against any other team

Asia is very large (with Australia....) , only Europe is small and rich

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#24 [url]

Apr 16 15 9:24 AM

It's all very well to prefer non-geographical draws. I think everyone here likes 'exotic' matches that we don't normally get to see (for example Mauritius v Mauritania), but we have to put the well-being of the FAs first. Do we really want to bankrupt the Mauritius FA by making them fly to Mauritania? Our 'preference' does not matter at all. What matters is whether the FAs can find money for such long trips, especially when they are in the preliminary round and where failure to win the matches could mean more financial loss for the losing team on top of the money lost by travelling crazy distances.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Apr 16 15 9:30 AM

but it seems not to be a problem, Mauritius FA is not bankrupt....they even organised a friendly against Togo

I presume the small FA's agreed to this system and got financial garantees....

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Apr 16 15 6:16 PM

I repeat what I said before on this. Mauritania almost had to withdraw, and had to appeal to the government for emergency funding for the trip to Mauritius.

If other factors were equal, of course it is nice to see variety of opposition, but these countries would benefit by more sensible use of resources. Even if the teams must make such long journeys, why not have 4 or 5 trams converge on one venue so they can play more than one game.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Apr 16 15 8:32 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Even if the teams must make such long journeys, why not have 4 or 5 trams converge on one venue so they can play more than one game.
Not too many cities in the world have that infrastructure...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#29 [url]

Apr 17 15 1:30 PM

"Parking the tram" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Back to the subject, I don't think the FAs of Mauritius and Mauritania did get financial guarantees - if they did, they were not sufficient to cover all the costs. I'm not sure the small FAs have much choice. If they want to compete, they have to accept the conditions of the qualification rounds.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jun 12 15 6:23 PM

When will Taiwan play Indondesia?

Why did Palestine not play at home?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#36 [url]

Nov 22 15 12:58 PM

Kuwait seems to have been suspended from the 2016 AFC Futsal Championship (which they had qualified for automatically owing to their performance at the previous edition). The tournament isn't until February 2016, but the draw is being made this month *[EDIT: Actually 2nd December, sorry to mislead] and Kuwait have been replaced by Saudi Arabia, who were the next highest WAFF team who failed to qualify.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Nov 22 15 11:06 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Nov 25 15 11:40 AM

can first round losers enter Asian Cup qualifier play-offs? there will be two rounds of play-off matches to determine the final eight qualifiers for the third round

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#39 [url]

Nov 26 15 12:49 PM

It does not seem to be known at the moment, as AFC did not specify. But if there are going to be 2 rounds of play-offs, then it is not possible to do this with just the 12 teams from the current qualification. It is not possible to get to 8 teams from 12 in 2 knockout rounds if all teams play at least 1 match. The minimum number of teams necessary would be 17.

From the current group stage of AFC qualification, 12 teams will qualify for the play-off rounds. If we add the 6 losing teams from the 1st round, that would be 18 teams. 2 rounds of play-offs would then be 2 matches (to reduce the total from 18 to 16) and then 8 matches to produce the 8 qualifiers for the 3rd round. I would expect that the 2 best 1st round losers would not play in the 1st round of play-offs (based on results, this would be Brunei, and Pakistan or Sri Lanka. Based on original rankings, the 2 exempt teams would be Sri Lanka and Nepal). Or maybe they will conduct a random draw - A) among the 1st round losers or B) among all 18 teams.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help