Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 7 16 4:32 PM

Tags : :

26 Februari : extraordinary FIFA congress: I suppose it is only about elections, no chance we see new members trying to join...When will be the next chance for those associations (I think about Gibraltar, Martinique, etc...)?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 11 16 10:07 PM

FIFA Congress 2016

The next chance for new FIFA members will come at the main congress on 12-13 May in Mexico City, the agenda for the elective congress on 26 February is available in www.fifa.com, I hope that this helps.

The main congress agenda should be available 12 or 13 April (1 month before congress). Again this will be posted on FIFA.com, I am hoping for 14 new members this May but we shall see.

Bonaire,
French Guyana,
Martinique,
Guadeloupe,
Sint Maarten,
St Martin,
Kosovo,
Gibraltar,
Reunion,
Zanzibar,
Northern Mariana Islands,
Niue Islands,
Tuvalu,
Kiribati

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 14 16 3:49 PM

New Members

I don't know how certain this is but for anybody that is interested on the Development page of www.fifa.com under the facts and figures tab there is a page for Gibraltar for all to see, I would like to think that it means that Gibraltar will be joining FIFA in May so that the appeal to CAS by Gibraltar can be resolved correctly since it has been ongoing since 1996/97 time

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Feb 27 16 10:46 AM

Moses wrote:
I don't know how certain this is but for anybody that is interested on the Development page of www.fifa.com under the facts and figures tab there is a page for Gibraltar for all to see, 
Not any more - they removed the Gibraltar page :-)

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 12 16 4:49 PM

FIFA Congress 2016

Hi all, Just for your information on www.fifa.com the agenda for the main Congress in Mexico City on 12 & 13 May has today been published, it looks like we might be going up to 210 FIFA members as there is a proposal for Kosovo to be given membership (however this proposal can also be withdrawn, though I hope not). So still 13 possible new FIFA members that seem to be being ignored.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 12 16 7:45 PM

I tought FA's must be member of a confederation for two years before they could join FIFA.....so Gibraltar, N.Marianas and  5 CONCACAF members could be allowed....

If some members object to Kosovo's membership (Russia, Spain, Serbia...) can they be accepted? they are not in the UNO.....

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 12 16 9:28 PM

FIFA Congress 2016

pieter wrote:

I tought FA's must be member of a confederation for two years before they could join FIFA.....so Gibraltar, N.Marianas and  5 CONCACAF members could be allowed....

If some members object to Kosovo's membership (Russia, Spain, Serbia...) can they be accepted? they are not in the UNO.....

The 2 Year continental membership rule was removed just before South Sudan where admitted (2012 I think), now as long as they are members of a confederation then FIFA membership should follow.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Apr 12 16 10:56 PM

It was like every other FIFA rule, they picked and chose when to apply it and when to waive it. It used to be the other way round : nobody could join a confederation without first being a FIFA member. It seems to have changed FIFA in the 1980s. At some point it seems FIFA decided to let the confederations give a hand to the minnows / noobs so that FIFA didn't have to worry about them until they became worth having as members.

Blatter (excerpt from an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald in 1990):
the fact is FIFA has a lot of members, particularly in the Caribbean and in Oceania, where the membership is too heavy a burden for these associations and it is also a burden for us. It is a poisoned kiss, if you like. At the very least we would like our members to participate in the Olympics or the World Cup competitions. So it is important that before these smaller countries apply for membership, they first organise their own associations and then play in the regional competitions. Then, when they are ready, they can apply to FIFA. I remember in the last Oceania under-17 tournament there was one country (Vanuatu) beaten by Australia 24-0, or something like that, and that is not the right thing to do. It is not in our interest to have the biggest number of members, it is more important that we only have good members.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Apr 12 16 11:00 PM

It's about time that FIFA became more proactive about recruiting the membership of countries which have not yet joined for whatever reason. It should not be incumbent on these struggling amateurish FAs to bankrupt themselves and spend all energy on a long and arduous process to even get somewhere vaguely close to recognition. Rather than ignoring them until they become independently "developed" enough to slot neatly into FIFA, FIFA should instead send emissaries to help them in practical ways.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#13 [url]

Apr 13 16 11:04 AM

Kosovo applying for membership of UEFA and FIFA.

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2016/m=4/news=request-for-admission-of-the-football-federation-of-kosovo-2780780.html

The issue of admission of the FFK to UEFA has been put on the agenda of the upcoming UEFA Congress taking place in Budapest on 3 May 2016. If the FFK is admitted to UEFA on that occasion and provided that the FFK’s application for admission to FIFA is considered complete and valid according to the relevant regulations, the FFK’s application for admission to FIFA may be voted on at the FIFA Congress in Mexico City on 13 May 2016.

This is the only application for FIFA membership at the Congress this year.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 11 16 12:11 PM

So both Gibraltar and Kosovo could be members of FIFA and could be allowed to play in the WC 2018; in that case one of them will be in the group of Belgium (5 teams)..... 

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#18 [url]

May 11 16 9:16 PM

pieter wrote:
So Greece and Cyprus could make problems if they have to play Kosovo, I do not see another reason, but Gibraltar is very welcome in our group

Was this sarcasm? :-P

FIFA previously did not permit Kosovo to play against former Yugoslav countries.  Also, there are many Bosnian Serbs.  However, this would mean that Kosovo could also not play in Croatia's group.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#19 [url]

May 11 16 9:23 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Let's have Group J. Kosovo and Gibraltar. Winner qualifies.

If it's a draw, both teams qualify, but only if both teams score.
If the match is 0-0, a 2-leg penalty shootout will happen, with one leg in Serbia and the other in Spain.  The loser will qualify while the winner will play off against themselves for a place in the finals, in Monaco.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 11 16 10:59 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
nfm24 wrote:
Let's have Group J. Kosovo and Gibraltar. Winner qualifies.
If it's a draw, both teams qualify, but only if both teams score.
If the match is 0-0, a 2-leg penalty shootout will happen, with one leg in Serbia and the other in Spain.  The loser will qualify while the winner will play off against themselves for a place in the finals, in Monaco.

Have you considered working as a consultant for the CFU?  You seem to be on their wavelength.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help