Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 12 16 2:16 PM

Tags : :

A new AFC international competition, to replace the AFC Challenge Cup, has been proposed to take place in November 2016 and September 2020 for the continent’s lowest-ranked teams who have little opportunity to organise international friendly matches.

Nepal, Brunei Darussalam, Macau, Mongolia, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, as well as the two teams eliminated after the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019 qualifiers play-off, will form the participating teams for the 2016 competition.

The 14-day tournament will be played between the eight teams at a centralised venue, providing not only a minimum of three matches, but also including coaching, refereeing, technical and event management education courses.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

Apr 13 16 10:32 AM

I also mentioned this on the Asian Cup 2019 thread around the same time you posted this - one problem is that THREE teams will be eliminated after 2019 Asian Cup play-offs, not two. So they will be left with a 9 team finals instead of 8...

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 5 16 9:45 PM

Hmm, not sure what these nations have in common to be in "solidarity" about, apart from their pathetic level of football. Brunei and Macau at least have the excuse of size.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 6 16 4:10 PM

I would watch the Crap Cup. Or Joke Cup or Losers' Shield or Wooden Spoon or something where they've been honest or at least tried to make the poor standard of the teams a niche virtue. I reckon if they called it the "Let's Try Not to Be the Shittest Team in the World Supercup" they might generate some real interest.

"Solidarity Cup" is much like a service station sandwich: bland, empty, meaningless, depressing, oversold, and likely to give everybody a gastric disease.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 6 16 11:33 PM

Or the David Luiz Quaich ?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jun 7 16 7:59 AM

In Asia there was an annual international club competition called AFC President's Cup involving teams from Pakistan, Palestine, Tajikistan, Philippines and so on...

So this new competition could be named "Vice-President's Cup", or even "Bus Driver's Super Cup"...

Last Edited By: Luca Jun 7 16 8:57 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#13 [url]

Jun 7 16 1:15 PM

Wikipedia still says it will be 8 teams. Looks like they will have to decide the "best 2 losers" of the 3 teams that lose in the 2nd Round of 2019 Asian Cup play-offs.

Yeah, me neither.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 7 16 9:39 PM

This Billy Bohan Championship sounds a bit like the resit system for examinations at my university.

Anybody who fails (< 40%) gets another attempt in August, and then up to two more attempts until they eventually get 40% or die of old age. Interestingly, on the resits they sometimes waive the coursework component (15% of total weighting), i.e. they award the pass if the student would have got 40% on the exam alone. Furthermore, the same resit paper is used every time... so the same student could take the same paper three times in theory.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 8 16 11:41 AM

I'll never understand why they don't have the draw for the competition after they know which teams are taking part.

It just complicates things. They are relying on Bangladesh beating Bhutan (presumably they will) to have an 8 team tournament because Bhutan have said they don't want to take part.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 8 16 3:01 PM

in which country it will take place? Why not N.Marianas?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help