Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#61 [url]

May 1 16 1:05 PM

Perhaps "almost official" means he has some inside information on how the members will vote? :-;

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

May 2 16 5:55 PM

Let's assume Kosovo are approved by UEFA (seems likely), then it would be quite a strange turn of events for FIFA to reject them unless it decided that they were in the "Gibraltar category". It also seems unlikely that Kosovo's application would even get onto the table if it was not going to be accepted (or at least voted upon by the members) - i.e. any technical problems with their application must have been resolved before this point was reached. But logic and FIFA are never good friends.

That said, if FIFA does approve Kosovo then I think this is a positive step for so-called "non-FIFA" countries generally. Then perhaps Kosovan officials can work as consultants for other wannabe members.

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

May 2 16 8:16 PM

http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Media_Release_3776.pdf

Three cheers for the CAS. 

I always enjoy the mealy-mouthed wording of these legal statements.

CAS:
The GFA's appeal against the decision issued by the FIFA Executive Committee on 26 September 2014 is partially upheld to the extent that the FIFA Executive Committee is ordered to transmit the Gibraltar Football Association’s application for FIFA membership to the FIFA Congress, which shall take all necessary measures to admit the Gibraltar Football Association as a full member of FIFA without delay.

FIFA:
Following the decision of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) concerning Gibraltar, the FIFA Council is expected to discuss the matter at its next meeting on 9 and 10 May 2016 and decide on the next steps, including a potential request to amend the 66th FIFA Congress agenda in order to submit the Gibraltar FA’s application for FIFA membership.

I'm not convinced FIFA has "got it".  Perhaps Kosovo is there to help FIFA by acting as a smokescreen under which Gibraltar can be dealt with unnoticed...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#65 [url]

May 3 16 10:20 AM

UEFA just voted NOT to change the wording of their admission policies (i.e. UN member status required). However, Gibraltar is not a UN member and got in, but they applied before the rules changed.

On Twitter, they are saying this will make it UNLIKELY that Kosovo will be accepted.

Opposition coming from Serbia, Russia, Switzerland, and perhaps surprisingly, Albania.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#66 [url]

May 3 16 10:23 AM

A lot of the usual "UEFA, please don't mix sport and politics". But if you have an organisation whose membership is based on national associations/national teams/national leagues, you cannot avoid being political. The very act of accepting any member is a political decision ("I recognise this nation/entity as having the right to play representative football in our competitions, and enter its club teams in our competitions").

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#67 [url]

May 3 16 11:07 AM

Kosovo have been accepted.

28 votes for, 24 against, 2 invalid votes (?!?!).

They needed a simple majority (28-26) to gain entry.

Not sure about the story behind the 2 invalid votes.

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

May 3 16 5:51 PM

International matches are still under the ultimate jurisdiction of FIFA, so until Kosovo joins FIFA there could be an awkward duplicity. So let's hope FIFA solves that potential problem in the obvious way.

Quote    Reply   

#70 [url]

May 3 16 6:12 PM

SDb wrote:
Does this mean Kosovo players who'll play at Euro 2016 will not be eligible for Kosovo NT later? Or does this start with Kosovo's first match?

When USSR dissolved on 25-12-1991, players were allowed to finish Euro 92 campaign with USSR and its succesoor CIS. After the Euro 92 campaign was over they were allowed to choose for which former USSR republic they want to play. So from a logic point of view all Kosovar players will be allowed to play for their adopted country at Euro 16 and when that campaign is over they cab choose to play for Kosovo.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

May 3 16 7:55 PM

It would make sense that any "capped" international player who could also be eligible for Kosovo is allowed to make a choice whether to switch to Kosovo or stay with their other country. SDb's question is asking about when this choice should be made be, and I agree with Fast_M.  It is logical suggest to wait until the next "cycle".  Otherwise not only the players would have to make difficult decisions under extra pressure, but the other countries involved e.g. Switzerland would have to reorganize at short notice. 

I would assume this exact issue would have been discussed at the UEFA meeting prior to the vote.

Last Edited By: nfm24 May 3 16 7:59 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#72 [url]

May 3 16 9:52 PM

I agree to some point but here it is not a case of a dissolved country. Kosovo has been playing since 2014 and the players knew the membership issue was on the table. I think the best way would be to wait for Kosovo's first match which apparently is scheduled for early June.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#74 [url]

May 4 16 12:30 AM

Not sure - none of the Kosovo players could have known for sure that Kosovo would ever have been allowed to join UEFA/FIFA. So, it doesn't matter if they have been playing - not many would have been willing to commit their international future to just a bunch of irregular friendly matches. In theory, Kosovo is the last part of a dissolved country (Yugoslavia) to obtain membership of UEFA. All the other Yugoslav players were given a choice, but Kosovans had to play for 'foreign' countries if they wanted to play international football.

Quote    Reply   

#75 [url]

May 4 16 7:32 AM

Kosovo has been playing since 2014 but not as UEFA member, so actually it had a special status. Some of the players who played for Kosovo, previously and even afterwards.also played for another country. Now they have obtained UEFA membership it looks most fair as well as logical to me that all players can finish their adopted country's Euro 16 campaign and decide after the tournament for which country they want to play.

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

May 4 16 7:52 AM

I don't really see why it is such a big deal anyway. A player should be entitled to decide which country to represent, if he has more than one option. What is so bad about switching?
More and more people nowadays have multiple nationalities (mostly for genuine reasons) so it sems anachronistic to force a player to pick one at a young age.

Quote    Reply   

#77 [url]

May 7 16 11:15 AM

Kosovo got only 28 votes pro (of 54) , so they are not widely accepted
Anyone an idea who voted in favour and who voted against (Serbia, Spain, Russia...)?

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help