Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 17 16 5:08 PM

Tags : :

I'm looking for real information about matches of Bermuda with Guatemala in qualifying for the Olympic Games in 1968.

RSSSF reported http://www.rsssf.com/tableso/ol1968q.html
2 round  Guatemala - Bermuda 1-1, 0-0, 2-0
LinguaSport reported:

05.03.1968 Guatemala - Bermuda 1:1
07.03.1968 Bermuda - Guatemala 0:0
xx.xx.1968 Guatemala - Bermuda 2:0

but Wikipedia https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualificazioni_ai_Giochi_della_XIX_Olimpiade_(CONCACAF) reported:
and http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150612/SPORT01/150619899
Guatemala - Bermuda 1:1, 0:0 and 2:1

Which version is correct?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 17 16 6:20 PM

The correct situation was:

3-Dec-67 Guatemala 1-1 Bermuda
10-Dec-67 Bermuda 0-0 Guatemala (AET) - abandoned at 107' due to darkness
3-Mar-68 Guatemala 2-1 Bermuda (AET) - playoff in El Salvador

If you are interested in more details (e.g. goalscorers, lineups etc) or if you have other similar queries, perhaps you could tell us a little bit about who you are or what you are working on - not wishing to seem unfriendly but just sometimes it is nice to know who we are working for :-)

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 17 16 7:44 PM

I'm sorry for the lack of good manners:). My name's Adam. I come from Poland. For a long time I interesting the history of football, especially the football at the Summer Olympics, World Cup, Copa America and other big tournaments. I have some good books about World Cup, Copa America (polish encyklopedia FUJI) but football at Olympics... It's like a black hole, especially the qualification. So I signed to this forum, because I would like to now details about it. I couldn't find a good sources and your forum is just perfect!:)
Thanks for your answer. I'll of course interesting about more details from this matches (goalscorers and lineups). Sorry for my pure english:).

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 20 16 11:54 PM

nfm24 wrote:
3-Dec-67 Guatemala 1-1 Bermuda
Goals: Edgar Chacón 52' / Irving 'Jackie' Romaine 43'
Guatemala: Rodolfo 'Nixon' García, Alberto López Oliva, Roberto Camposeco, Lijón León de León, Roberto Ochoa, Hugo Montoya, Eduardo 'Guayo' de León, Reginaldo Alemán, Jorge 'Grillo' Roldán [c], Edgar Chacón, Daniel Salamanca.
Bermuda: Granville 'Sam' Nusum, Gordon Cholmondeley, Rudy Minors, Gladwin 'Bubba' Daniels [c], Kenny Cann, Noel Simons, Irving 'Jackie' Romaine, Edward 'Tinty' Ming, Rudy Smith, Lionel Smith, Carlton 'Peppy' Dill.
Estadio Mateo Flores, Ciudad de Guatemala, 35000
Ref: Aristóteles Gómez (Honduras)

nfm24 wrote:
10-Dec-67 Bermuda 0-0 Guatemala (AET) - abandoned at 107' due to darkness
Bermuda: Granville 'Sam' Nusum, Gordon Cholmondeley, Gladwin 'Bubba' Daniels [c], Kenny Cann, Noel Simons, Irving 'Jackie' Romaine, Edward 'Tinty' Ming, Rudy Smith (Lionel Smith 46'), Clyde Best, Leroy Lewis, Cartlon 'Peppy' Dill.
Guatemala: Rodolfo 'Nixon' García, René de León, Roberto Camposeco, Lijón León de León, Roberto Ochoa, Hugo Montoya, Eduardo 'Guayo' de León, Jorge 'Grillo' Roldán [c], Rolando Valdés (Hugo Torres 46'), Reginaldo Alemán, Rafael Godoy.
National Stadium, Prospect, 9000
Ref: Audley Brandt (Jamaica)

nfm24 wrote:
3-Mar-68 Guatemala 2-1 Bermuda (AET) - playoff in El Salvador
Goals: Reginaldo Alemán 90', Jorge 'Grillo' Roldán 105' / Irving 'Jack' Romaine 25'
Guatemala: Rodolfo 'Nixon' García, Alberto López Oliva, Roberto Camposeco, Lijón León de León, Roberto Ochoa, Hugo Montoya, Hugo Torres, Reginaldo Alemán, Jorge 'Grillo' Roldán [c], Eduardo 'Guayo' de León (Edgar Chacón 46'), Rolando Valdés.
Bermuda: Earlston Jennings, Noel Simons, Rudy Minors, Kenny Cann, Gordon Cholmondeley, Gladwin 'Bubba' Daniels [c], Rudy Smith, Gary Darrell, Clyde Best, Edward 'Tinty' Ming, Irving 'Jack' Romaine (Albert Dowling 46').
Estadio Nacional Flor Blanca, San Salvador, 30000
Ref: Abel Aguilar (Mexico)

Coaches (for all 3 games):
Guatemala: César Viccino (Argentina).
Bermuda: Graham Adams (England).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Jul 21 16 12:51 PM

Thanks you very much! Great work.
Bad luck of Bermuda. They lost goal in last minute of the final match...

At the forum I saw a elebarotation about the elimination of the Olympic Games at 1960 and 1976. Do you have such elaborations about other elimination olympic football tournaments (correct result, dates and goalscorers)?

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 21 16 8:26 PM

dynablaster wrote:
Thanks you very much! Great work.
Bad luck of Bermuda. They lost goal in last minute of the final match...
Worse luck to have the "neutral" playoff in San Salvador, with the majority of the 30000 crowd radically supporting Guatemala.   After Alemán's equaliser the match was suspended for about 30 minutes due to a massive invasion of supporters, during with the Bermuda coach and some players were punched and generally shaken up to the extent that they couldn't really play the extra time with the same spirit they had shown in the three 3 games up to then.

For your other question - it is ongoing research including some people on the forum.  I suggest you could participate in that smiley: smile

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 22 16 5:08 PM

You can see on RSSSF (for example) some of the Olympic qualifying editions have dates and goal-scorers etc (often provided by members of this forum), while some editions just have the scores. Maybe it can again be a joint effort of the forum members to upgrade the other editions.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help