Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Sep 5 16 1:46 PM

Well, the players knew this would happen so they can't be complaining now.
Samir Ujkani and Alban Meha now approved to play for Kosovo. Still four players await clearance. Amir Rrahmani, Valon Berisha, Herolind Shala, Milot Rashica. They will likely be approved as none of them played any competitive matches since May.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#82 [url]

Sep 5 16 9:17 PM

It's just a cruel decision to ask a player to make. They may be thought of as disloyal whatever decision was taken. Either they withdraw from the tournament finals for the country which gave them a home (etc), and with which they had been building a national team career, and playing with friends, or they have to turn their back on their "true" homeland. All so the admin suits at FIFA have an easier life.

People with genuine dual nationality should be entitled to represent whichever country they want without restriction. The problems come when nationality is fudged just for football reasons.

Quote    Reply   

#83 [url]

Sep 6 16 11:50 AM

What exactly is genuine dual nationality? Alot of these players weren't even born in Kosovo and never played for any football clubs there. Asking for players be able to represent whatever team they want is absurd. That already happened in the last century with Irish and Chinese players and was restricted for a reason.
Just make a choice and stand by it, rather than go around cherry picking.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#84 [url]

Sep 6 16 10:13 PM

Why is it absurd? People do have genuine dual nationality, whether you approve of it or not, and many of them do not necessarily favour one nationality over the other(s). Why should they have to "make a choice and stand by it"?

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Sep 7 16 9:21 PM

Doesn't it stem from the players in the 60's backwards who played in World Cups for different nations?

I think the current system is about right for 'official' internationals (players don't have to commit until they've played competitively, then in special cases like Kosovo they're given a case-by-case option to switch), otherwise you end up with the potential to have a Qatari handball team situation...

Maybe at the very least there could be a French Territories-style situation, you're allowed to represent another team after a certain number of years of inactivity.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#86 [url]

Sep 7 16 11:17 PM

Actual historical examples of players switching country, and FAs selecting players of dubious eligibility, and the evolution of the rules to address this, have been discussed elsewhere on this forum so I won't talk casewise.

SDb makes a good point that dual nationality can itself be an imprecise concept (mainly because nationality is), and because the football eligibility rules do not correlate to criteria used for other purposes, there was room for interpretation and thus exploitation. Different countries have their own different passport/citizenship criteria for example, some much stricter than others. So it is natural that an international standardization was imposed (by FIFA) to circumvent the vagaries of different countries' governments.  Other sports have done similarly, although there is substantial variation in the criteria across various sports.

So far this is all fine. My point was only to add that the standard rules do not account for genuine cases of dual nationality (e.g. a player with parents of two different nationalities).
In such cases, the rules force a permanent choice to be made for football, and I don't see why this is necessary. It appears to be done only out of an administrative convenience, which is never a good reason for anything.

It is clearly not an effective way of discouraging "Qatar style" cases (players being awarded citizenship later in life only for football purposes) because this happens anyway with the existing rules.
A far more effective rule for dealing with that would be e.g. discounting any "new" nationalities/citizenships acquired as a result of events later in life (post age 21 say).

Last Edited By: nfm24 Sep 7 16 11:21 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Oct 9 16 8:37 PM

One of those classic football admin decisions (out of the frying pan, into the fire...)

Ukraine does not recognize Kosovo's independence, and does not recognise Kosovo passports, so the team can't enter Ukraine. The match was switched to Poland, who agreed to host it provided there were severe restrictions on the number of fans. This seems rather unwise however, given Poland and Ukraine are not on good terms, and particularly given that there is a film coming out about Ukrainians in WW2 killing Poles.

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Oct 9 16 11:13 PM

I always find it amusing when I read statements like "Ukraine doesn't recognize Kosovo". I imagine some crusty old officials sitting looking in a school atlas from the 1970s trying to find it. Clearly Ukraine does recognize Kosovo at least as a FIFA member, otherwise it would just withdraw from the match as Israel's opponents did in the 1970s.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help