Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 24 11 8:24 AM

Tags : :

I'm looking for line-ups(surname and fullname) with subs of all GB team olympic tournament qualifying matches.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Feb 26 11 9:55 PM

ashw83 wrote:
I searched there and find only match reports from the olympic tournaments, but not from the qualifying matches.

Neither can I. In fact, player stats do not include OG qualifying, which suggests that the reports are not unavailable.

I also Googled for reports using data from Neil's archive (incomplete), and I did not find anything.

Could you provide an example?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 5 11 12:31 PM

For example, 1956 olympics games qualification GB played against Bulgaria and lost 0:2 away nad tied 3:3 at home, but still qualified because of some withdrawals.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Mar 5 11 10:41 PM

ashw83 wrote:
For example, 1956 olympics games qualification GB played against Bulgaria and lost 0:2 away nad tied 3:3 at home, but still qualified because of some withdrawals.

If it's not in Neil's archive, then it's probably not online anywhere, including at FIFA's site. Your best bet is writing to the FAs and hoping that they will reply.

I've sent you a private message with some details that might help you to find what you are looking for.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 29 11 2:21 AM

mcruic wrote:
If it's not in Neil's archive, then it's probably not online anywhere, including at FIFA's site. Your best bet is writing to the FAs and hoping that they will reply.

I'd say your best bet would be to ask me. What's published online is significantly less than the total data I have accumulated.

Alternatively try this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GB-United-British-Olympic-Football/dp/1905411928/

Steve Menary asked for a lot of data and reports for this book - I was hoping for at least a free copy

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 28 12 12:30 PM

According to this page all the info you want is in Steve Menary's book... a free copy of which still has not been sent to me as had been agreed when I assisted him.

For 1936 I don't have the lineup, but it seems to be the reserves from the Olympic squad.

25-7-48, Nantes, France 2-3 UK Olympic team

Ronald C. "Ronnie" Simpson (Queen's Park FC, Scotland);
Charles R. "Jack" Neale (Walton & Hersham FC, England),
Gwyn T. Manning (Troedyrhiw FC, Wales);
David Letham (Queen's Park FC, Scotland),
Eric G. Lee (Chester FC, England),
Eric G. Fright (Bromley FC, England);
A.H. "Tommy" Hopper (Bromley FC, England),
John R.E. "Bob" Hardisty (Bishop Auckland FC, England) [captain],
Harold J. McIlvenny (Yorkshire Amateur AFC, England),
Dennis Kelleher (Barnet FC (England), Northern Ireland),
F. Peter Kippax (Yorkshire Amateur AFC, England).

Coach: Matt Busby (Scotland)

Note: the goalkeeper Ronnie Simpson was only 17. He would not make his debut for the Scotland full national team until almost 20 years later, in the famous 1967 win vs England at Wembley.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 9 12 6:45 PM

It's official: Great Britain won't be present at the 2016 Olympic Football Tournament.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#11 [url]

Oct 9 12 10:12 PM

Luca wrote:
It's official: Great Britain won't be present at the 2016 Olympic Football Tournament.

I don't think there was ever any doubt. It was clear the participation at 2012 was a one-off. In order to participate, it means the 4 British FAs would have to combine their U-21 teams in the next European Championship - which could not happen as the UK is not a member of UEFA.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 2 16 4:11 PM

nfm24 wrote:
25-7-48, Nantes, France 2-3 UK Olympic team
Ronald C. "Ronnie" Simpson (Queen's Park FC, Scotland);
Charles R. "Jack" Neale (Walton & Hersham FC, England),
Gwyn T. Manning (Troedyrhiw FC, Wales);
David Letham (Queen's Park FC, Scotland),
Eric G. Lee (Chester FC, England),
Eric G. Fright (Bromley FC, England);
A.H. "Tommy" Hopper (Bromley FC, England),
John R.E. "Bob" Hardisty (Bishop Auckland FC, England) [captain],
Harold J. McIlvenny (Yorkshire Amateur AFC, England),
Dennis Kelleher (Barnet FC (England), Northern Ireland),
F. Peter Kippax (Yorkshire Amateur AFC, England).

Coach: Matt Busby (Scotland)

Above Match is listed in "England Football online" site, as cited by you in your post.
But my question is: was "France" the "unofficial France XI" team or an "amateur/age restricted" team?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 2 16 8:14 PM

So, it seems that France Am. played, in preparation for London 48,
-14.07.48  Le Havre  France Am.  -  Netherlands XI  5-1
-25-07-48 Nantes  France Am.  - Great Britain Am. 2-3
Both matches are not listed/cited neither in RSSSF author of matches France Amateur/Olympics Teams nor in this Forum in Netherlands unofficial matches.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 2 16 9:36 PM

Giampaolo wrote:
So, it seems that France Am. played, in preparation for London 48,
-14.07.48  Le Havre  France Am.  -  Netherlands XI  5-1
-25-07-48 Nantes  France Am.  - Great Britain Am. 2-3
Both matches are not listed/cited neither in RSSSF author of matches France Amateur/Olympics Teams nor in this Forum in Netherlands unofficial matches.

The match in Le Havre was played by a Dutch FA XI under the name Zwaluwenelftal (Swallow XI), as was done often back then. According to one Dutch newspaper report, it even could hardly be called a B-team. It was played in Stade [de la] Cavée verte. 0-1, 0-2 and 0-3 Jo Mulder (from PSV), 0-4 Bram Appel (from Sittard), after half-time 0-5 Bram Appel, 1-5 Strappé. (So not 5-1 for the French).
Referee: Sdez.

Last Edited By: Sensini Sep 2 16 9:50 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 7 16 2:22 PM

1. GB Amateur (Olympics) played Northern Ireland XI in a friendly match.
According to http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamGB/Matches/GBAmateur.html on 25 Jan. 1971.
According to http://nifootball.blogspot.it/2009/04/24-february-1971.html on 24 Feb.1971.
I guess the first one is correct. Am I right?
2. Does somebody know details (dates, teams and cities) where GB Olympics played friendly matches vs Kuopion and Vaasan local reps, after Helsinki 52 OG?
(see again http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamGB/Matches/GBAmateur.html).
Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 7 16 8:27 PM

Giampaolo wrote:
1. GB Amateur (Olympics) played Northern Ireland XI in a friendly match.
According to http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamGB/Matches/GBAmateur.html on 25 Jan. 1971.
According to http://nifootball.blogspot.it/2009/04/24-february-1971.html on 24 Feb.1971.
I guess the first one is correct. Am I right?
2. Does somebody know details (dates, teams and cities) where GB Olympics played friendly matches vs Kuopion and Vaasan local reps, after Helsinki 52 OG?
(see again http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamGB/Matches/GBAmateur.html).
Thanks.
Steve Menary in GB United? British Olympic football and the end of the amateur dream has:

1.: 25 January 1971

2.:
22 July 1952 vs Kuopio in Kuopio 6-0 (p. 311) or 3-4 (p.170)
1 August 1952 vs Vaasa XI in Vaasa 3-4 (p. 311) or 6-0 (p. 170)

Edit:
"Great Britain beat the Finnish club side, Kuopion Palloseura, 4-3 [...] They next beat another Finnish side, Vaasan Palloseura, 6-0".

Last Edited By: Sensini Sep 7 16 8:32 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 12 16 8:33 PM

25th January 1971 was the correct date (in Belfast). The Irish team was an IFA XI, with a view to giving some "new" local players a chance to show their ability before Northern Ireland's Euro qualifier in Cyprus.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help