Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 22 14 1:07 PM

Tags : :

Asian Cup qualifiers in Manila.
December 25, 1978: Philippines - China.    Final results?  Some Sources say 0-3, other Sources 0-5.
Is there somebody who knows with certainty the real score?
Thanks.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 22 14 4:01 PM

Another question about the Qualifiers.
Group includes : Qatar, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
Barrie, in RSSSF single Asian NT records, lists the following dates (all matches in Dhaka):
10.01.1979 Bangladesh - Qatar 1-1
11.01.1979 Qatar - Afghanistan  3-0
12.01.1979 Bangladesh - Afghanistan 2-2
14.01.1979 Bangladesh - Qatar  0-4
15.01.1979 Qatar - Afghanistan  2-1
16.01.1979 Bangladesh - Afghanistan 4-1
This is confirmed in Wikipedia.

But it is not confirmed by:
- Neil (his Site) who lists the matches in March 1979 (some dates unknown)
-RSSSF, Asian Cup Section, where the matches are generically listed in Feb/Mar 1979
- "Almanacco Panini" (partially), where only one match is listed:  06 March 1979, Dhaka; Qatar - Afghanistan  3-0.

Which dates are correct?



 


Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 23 14 11:20 AM

Giampaolo wrote:
Asian Cup qualifiers in Manila.
December 25, 1978: Philippines - China.    Final results?  Some Sources say 0-3, other Sources 0-5.
Is there somebody who knows with certainty the real score?
Thanks.

0-3 is correct.   News reports (Xinhua, Reuter etc) agree.   Half-time 0-0.


Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 23 14 11:30 AM

Giampaolo wrote:
Group includes : Qatar, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

Straits Times, Friday 9 March 1979
 Dacca, Thur : Qatar beat Bangladesh 3-1 in the final of Group Two of the qualifying rounds for the Asian Cup soccer tournament
 in Dacca Stadium here yesterday. Both Qatar and Bangladesh have qualified for the tournament in Kuwait next April.
 Afghanistan, the third country in the contest, were eliminated 3-0 by Qatar on Tuesday.
 Qatar had seven points and Bangladesh four points.  -  AP.


Therefore:
6-Mar-79 Qatar 3-0 Afghanistan
7-Mar-79  Bangladesh 1-3  Qatar

I will look for Bangladesh newspapers next time I visit the library.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

TheRoonBa

Posts: 5,503 Site Admin

#5 [url]

Jun 23 14 4:04 PM

Alternatively, try contacting the Bangladesh national archives with your query. They will definitely have the information, as they have many newspapers covering 1979.

http://www.nanl.gov.bd/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=3&Itemid=124

One other different list of results I have seen is:

Bangladesh 2-2 Afghanistan
Qatar 3-0 Afghanistan
Bangladesh 1-1 Qatar

Bangladesh 3-2 Afghanistan (5 March?)
Qatar 3-0 Afghanistan
Bangladesh 1-3 Qatar

This set of scores results in the same points and goal difference for each team as the set of scores mentioned above.


My guess would be that there would be a small break (1 or 2 days) between the 2 sets of matches - so the first round was probably played from 1-3 March or 28 Feb-2 Mar. That would certainly narrow down the search for an enquiry to the Bangladesh archives.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 8 14 11:40 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I will look for Bangladesh newspapers next time I visit the library.

Confirmed correct results and dates are :

01/03/1979  Dacca            Bangladesh         2-2   Afghanistan        Asia Qual
02/03/1979 Dacca Qatar 3-0 Afghanistan Asia Qual
03/03/1979 Dacca Bangladesh 1-1 Qatar Asia Qual
05/03/1979 Dacca Bangladesh 3-2 Afghanistan Asia Qual
06/03/1979 Dacca Qatar 3-0 Afghanistan Asia Qual
07/03/1979 Dacca Bangladesh 1-3 Qatar Asia Qual


The "Bangladesh Times" even gave all the lineups :-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Jul 9 14 8:17 AM

Thanks, Neil! Finally we have the right table.
In Bangladesh National Library nobody "lost" his precious time for a reply (positive or negative) to my kind request.
The same happened from Press Office of FIGC (Italian FA), when I asked them for some information. Nice people!!!

Quote    Reply   
avatar

TheRoonBa

Posts: 5,503 Site Admin

#9 [url]

Jul 9 14 12:14 PM

nfm24 wrote:
nfm24 wrote:
I will look for Bangladesh newspapers next time I visit the library.

Confirmed correct results and dates are :

01/03/1979  Dacca            Bangladesh         2-2   Afghanistan        Asia Qual
02/03/1979 Dacca Qatar 3-0 Afghanistan Asia Qual
03/03/1979 Dacca Bangladesh 1-1 Qatar Asia Qual
05/03/1979 Dacca Bangladesh 3-2 Afghanistan Asia Qual
06/03/1979 Dacca Qatar 3-0 Afghanistan Asia Qual
07/03/1979 Dacca Bangladesh 1-3 Qatar Asia Qual


The "Bangladesh Times" even gave all the lineups :-)

Wow, my 'stab in the dark' guess at the dates was actually correct.

Very disappointed with the name of the newspaper though.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 9 14 9:36 PM

Giampaolo wrote:
Thanks, Neil! Finally we have the right table.
In Bangladesh National Library nobody "lost" his precious time for a reply (positive or negative) to my kind request.
The same happened from Press Office of FIGC (Italian FA), when I asked them for some information. Nice people!!!

You forgot to include the $5 with your email  smiley: wink

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dec 20 16 1:55 AM

Nov 16 UAE 0-0 Lebanon
Nov 20 UAE 0-0 Syria

Note that Syria-Bahrain was abandoned at 1-1 in the 2nd half due to (mostly Syrian) player aggression and Syrian officials entering the field. Tournament committee initially awarded the game 3-0 to Bahrain but then changed the decision to a replay on 25 Nov. Bahrain withdrew in protest.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Dec 20 16 3:57 AM

Thanks. Yes abandoned at 75' after the referee awarded a penalty to Bahrain which Ibrahim Zoweid converted.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help