Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#901 [url]

Jan 11 17 6:10 PM

Slovak FA wrote to FIFA and asked that both their January matches should not be considered for the FIFA ranking.

Finland and Slovenia have also done this.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Jan 11 17 6:13 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#902 [url]

Jan 11 17 7:21 PM

How about Croat FA as Croatia obviously did not send their A-team to China. Nevertheless,what were the arrangements before Slovakia, Finland and Slovenia went on tour? Didn't they have any communication with FIFA about? Or miscommunication?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#903 [url]

Jan 12 17 12:25 AM

Hard to say - FIFA (website updates) don't always get info from the relevant department (match authorisation) on time, or sometimes only on request (so if they are told about a possible unauthorised/B match, they might then ask the match authorisation team about it).

Slovakia wrote to FIFA before the matches were played, however. So did Slovenia and Finland. And apparently, Ivory Coast-Uganda today was also not an A-match for similar reasons (not sure which of the 2 teams didn't want this as an A match).

Croatia didn't write to FIFA with any special instructions, and so they are classed as A matches.

I don't think it's healthy to have individual FAs in charge of what matches they want to be classed as A matches. It opens the ranking up to manipulation (even more than it already is).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#904 [url]

Jan 12 17 12:34 AM

I find it stupid that today's Ivory Coast-Uganda match (which was an A international, despite FIFA not recognising it) will not go down in the records, but 26 Dec 2016 match between Ivory Coast's CHAN team and Zimbabwe counts as an A international. Why would Ivory Coast not want the Uganda match included, but not mind the ZImbabwe match being included? It doesn't make any sense...

Quote    Reply   

#907 [url]

Jan 13 17 10:37 AM

A minor step forward, albeit still stuck in the quicksand of iniquity, would be for FIFA to put such matches on their website list anyway with the reason stated. Otherwise it just looks like they've missed it.

Quote    Reply   

#908 [url]

Jan 13 17 1:51 PM

There are some 'The World upside down' cases, like the Ivory Coast cases. African nations now are preparing for the Africa Cup, so it looks logical they field players from the selection. Such kind of tems should be regarded as A anyhow. But why preparing an Africa Cup tournament only within three weeks before the kick off with a CHAN team? I can imagine some players will be tested together with regulars.

Regarding the European teams as well as Chile I would say if you test some players together with some established one, the team can be regarded as A anyhow, like Chile, Finland and Iceland.The other countries even don't field something as a B-team, because even in most teams labelled as B there are at least some established players. We know Swedish FA has always been very flexible regarding labelling a team as A as long as they play international football. I guess Croatia labels its team as A in order to help upgrading the China Cup tournament (but as far as I can see on their website Croatia FA does not count these matches).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#910 [url]

Jan 14 17 10:38 AM

In the China Cup, even China fielded a B/C team (16 uncapped players from their 22, 4 with 1 cap). If anything, Chile and Iceland could just about be called A teams - Croatia and China were certainly not.  I'm only including the final (Chile-Iceland) as an A match.

China: (22) 16 with 0 caps, 4 with 1 cap
Croatia: (18) 14 with 0 caps, 1 with 1 cap
Chile: (22) 9 with 0 caps, 4 with 1 cap
Iceland: (22) 7 with 0 caps, 2 with 1 cap

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#911 [url]

Jan 14 17 3:28 PM

Thre reason Croatian FA labelled its China Cup team as A and regard their matches as A-internationals might be a commercial one. The domestic clubs probably have demanded the Croatian FA to regard these matches as official A, otherwise they would not have released them. If players have a status as being an A-national team player they are more valuable at the transfermarket, which is also very profitable for his club.

Quote    Reply   

#912 [url]

Jan 15 17 9:54 AM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:
I don't like what's happening this month at all.

Uganda 3-1 Slovakia - What do Slovakia gain from counting this as an A match? They'll lose ranking points, while Uganda's will be artificially inflated.

Meanwhile, Finland decided not to include their match against Morocco yesterday as an A match, and then won it, against an opponent ranked about 35 places higher.

I would seriously consider removing the right of the FAs to determine whether a match is an A match or not after the rubbish we have seen this month, What will happen next? A few mental institute patients and some otters can play for Norway and just because they say "This is an A match", FIFA has to accept?

Boo! Down with all of this nonsense.
Nevertheless, the rubbish what's happening this month is not something we have only seen the past few years.
Not to mention those cases in which a coach fields a player just in the injury time of the second half in a meaningless friendly and then doesn't pick him anymore. There have been dozens of examples in the last few years. What indication can a coach receive from such choices? That's another nonsense.

Quote    Reply   

#913 [url]

Jan 16 17 10:11 PM

It's odd that China seems to think that the reason that they don't have a world class national team is because they don't have a world class league.... and then they buy Brazilians from clubs in Europe. Smooth. The real reason is that kids in China don't really play football as a matter of course, even if they like watching it. This may be something to do with the one-child policy, or some other cultural aspect.

Quote    Reply   

#914 [url]

Jan 16 17 10:35 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Hard to say - FIFA (website updates) don't always get info from the relevant department (match authorisation) on time, or sometimes only on request (so if they are told about a possible unauthorised/B match, they might then ask the match authorisation team about it).

Slovakia wrote to FIFA before the matches were played, however. So did Slovenia and Finland. And apparently, Ivory Coast-Uganda today was also not an A-match for similar reasons (not sure which of the 2 teams didn't want this as an A match).

Croatia didn't write to FIFA with any special instructions, and so they are classed as A matches.

I don't think it's healthy to have individual FAs in charge of what matches they want to be classed as A matches. It opens the ranking up to manipulation (even more than it already is).
Might be a bit simplistic, but surely there should just be some kind of registration deadline to call the upcoming match an A or a B fixture. If the friendly is outside of the international break, both teams have to agree that it is an A before it is played otherwise it is B, if it is in the break, both teams have to agree to it being a B match or else it is deemed an A, which should prevent any attempted gaming of the rankings system from big nations trying to dismiss the result.

The technicalities after those guidelines regarding disagreements or fixtures arranged post-deadline are something that a group of people in Zurich are paid to deal with.

Quote    Reply   

#915 [url]

Jan 16 17 10:42 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
The technicalities after those guidelines regarding disagreements or fixtures arranged post-deadline are something that a group of people in Zurich are paid to deal with.
But where is it written down exactly what can/can't be done in terms of altering the status?  Some matches can apparently be changed in status on a whim of the team coach (not even the FA officials) at the last minute.  This probably comes from FIFA trying to do things online in real time, rather than go through proper old-fashioned procedures in advance.

Quote    Reply   

#916 [url]

Jan 17 17 8:49 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Might be a bit simplistic, but surely there should just be some kind of registration deadline to call the upcoming match an A or a B fixture. If the friendly is outside of the international break, both teams have to agree that it is an A before it is played otherwise it is B, if it is in the break, both teams have to agree to it being a B match or else it is deemed an A, which should prevent any attempted gaming of the rankings system from big nations trying to dismiss the result.

Reading this it appear to me that actually most matches played by Denmark League XI are full A-internationals, or is that a too symplistic thought?

I read somewhere that according to FIFA regulations a national FA has to report FIFA ultimately 48 hours before the match if they want to change the match status, but that rule may have changed.

Quote    Reply   

#918 [url]

Jan 17 17 5:32 PM

To clarify, I don't know the rules, I'm just speculating.

Would need a little fine-tuning from what I just said but on the whole the teams should agree beforehand on whether the match is going to be A or B, and in the window make all matches A unless unanimously agreed otherwise.

Quote    Reply   

#919 [url]

Jan 17 17 8:58 PM

I'm not convinced FIFA know the rules themselves, by which I mean, is there any coherent decision making internally? Consistent application, and ability to enforce the rules to be followed, seems in short supply recently. We know already that many internationals are not properly notified to FIFA or the confederations in advance, and thus FIFA (since it wants to have a "live" website) needs to rely on kindly real-time info harvesters to donate their expertise for peanuts.

Quote    Reply   

#920 [url]

Jan 23 17 5:28 PM

We could expect Georgia would field at least something as a mix between A- and B-players for their match against Uzbekistan this afternoon. Georgia line up show only two funny names: Papunashvili and Parunashvili, both ending with nashvili which remind me on Nashville.

Roin Kvaskhvadze   6F.C. Torpedo, Kutaisi
Ucha Lobjanidze  Captain  63' yellowcard.gif51Atyrau F.C., Atyrau
Davit Khocholava   1F.C. Chornomorets, Odessa
Giorgi Rekhviashvili   1F.C. Lokomotivi, Tbilisi
Lasha Shergelashvili   out.gif 89' 1Riga F.C., Rīga
in.gif 89' Jimmy Tabidze   1K.A.A. Gent, Gent
Teimuraz Shonia   out.gif 83' 1F.C. Dinamo, Batumi
in.gif 83' Oleg Mamasakhlisi   1F.C. Torpedo, Kutaisi
Otar Kiteishvili   out.gif 57' 1F.C. Dinamo, Tbilisi
in.gif 57' Giorgi Papunashvili   4F.C. Dinamo, Tbilisi
Saba Lobjanidze   out.gif 82' 1F.C. Dinamo, Tbilisi
in.gif 82' Giorgi Kharaishvili   87' yellowcard.gif1F.C. Saburtalo, Tbilisi