Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#101 [url]

Nov 26 16 3:38 PM

Ryukyu Islands 0-9 Koreans in Japan (half-time 0-6).

Koreans in Japan scored their final goal after 65 minutes.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#103 [url]

Nov 28 16 10:26 PM

For some reason I'm intrigued by the idea of a direct conflict/overlap like that. With no FIFA eligibility lock in place it's probably just down to how the individual feels, like some Kosovo-eligible players right now.

Did Occitania ever play Provence? That could have theoretically had players eligible for both on either side.

Quote    Reply   

#104 [url]

Dec 2 16 8:57 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
That could have theoretically had players eligible for both on either side.
The classic case of that would be Hong Kong vs ROC back in the "good old days". 

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#107 [url]

Jan 18 17 11:58 PM

Not particularly excited about this new member.

They have already played one game, which I've listed on the site.
21-July-2013 in Öja - Skåneland 0-0 Southern Schleswig

Quote    Reply   

#108 [url]

Jan 19 17 12:46 AM

Historically redundant pseudo-country, much like Aquitaine, or Wales.

With this sort of member, I always wonder to what extent the team can ever represent the region. Are the best players involved, or do they play for Denmark and Sweden? Is the team associated with a genuine desire for international represenation generally, or just a bit of fun.

Quote    Reply   

#109 [url]

Jan 20 17 8:00 PM

What would you define as "just a bit of fun"?

Not that I doubt people play for fun, but even Sealand or Raetia would claim they are doing it out of desire for more recognition/awareness, even if the cause is not as significant as others (in particular for the players involved).

Quote    Reply   

#110 [url]

Jan 21 17 12:36 PM

Are they trying to select the best possible team for that region/entity, or is it just as sort of social club based on some guys that the organisers know? Do they only select players who believe strongly in the cause of promoting awareness of that entity, or can they select all players under their regional jurisdiction (if any)?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#111 [url]

Jan 24 17 7:27 PM

Tricky one, I understand the theory there but still believe every representative team has to have some element of 'seriousness' about them. There would definitely be people involved in the Sealand national team (mainly the organisers) that see it as more than some joke act.

I only ask because I've been sitting on an idea for a few months that if implemented, could be interpreted either way (or potentially both) depending on how it's run. Will be looking for some feedback on the outline soon so watch this space.

Quote    Reply   

#112 [url]

Jan 24 17 9:29 PM

Intrigue and suspense in alternative representative football... whatever next! To rephrase my point above, the guys who first set up the "alternative" FA for their territory/entity, and the guys who play in their early matches, are in general unlikely to be the best from that region if it really had full mobilization of personnel.

Think of it a bit like the Kosovo team - as they increasingly became serious/recognised, the strength of the available selection increased accordingly as the proper players showed more interest and commitment. But in the early days they're selecting from quite a localized pool. This is completely understandable, and indeed we couldn't expect much else, but the difference in Alt.Rep.Football is that the FA can immediately get recognized by the governing body without really doing anything at all, even potentially while it's still at the "some mates in the pub" stage. Given that, do they then really have an incentive to continue developing and seeking to truly represent their territory/entity? Or now that they have what they wanted when they started out, will they just keep it as a social club rather than a proper representative football association?

Quote    Reply   

#113 [url]

Jan 25 17 8:19 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Intrigue and suspense in alternative representative football... whatever next!
Well someone has to liven things up around here... smiley: wink

Understandable reasoning, guess I just reckon as long as you have even that 'social club' base from which the FA started it's still something to hold onto as being a representative of that place, whether they become something more substantial is down to the FA's own ambition/motivation or external factors, so for that reason I'd say that Kosovo's FA dates back to whenever they had that meeting in a pub or something. A dated example, but Scotland's first 'official' national team even predates the SFA itself, with all players coming from one club.

Quote    Reply   

#114 [url]

Jan 25 17 11:37 PM

Yes there are many examples like that where the FA is founded (at a national or colonial level) after the first representative match. In such cases, the FA is formed when the critical football mass of the territory/region has developed to that level organically - i.e. enough clubs and players arranging regular fixtures with each other and establishing cross-border contacts. It shouldn't go directly from some mates in the pub to national FA - it should instead get to the point where the FA is needed to govern the football scene that has already built up. In the alt.rep. world the same should apply, except with the added issue of promoting their region/entity's identity in tandem with the organization of the football side. The other way round doesn't make that much sense, yet that is what happens sometimes in the alt.rep. world : an FA formed without any real football constituency existing beforehand.

In some cases the new FA can piggy-back the critical football mass part from the existing mainstream FA in their area. MIFA (Ellan Vannin) is a good example of this. Obviously "enough" of a movement had built up in the IoM among those who wanted a representative team along more nationalistic lines than the IoMFA version. Presumably they didn't have enough to actually take over the IoMFA, but enough to push for a parallel recognition without punishment of the defectors. It is a bit "have your cake and eat it" though.

Quote    Reply   

#115 [url]

Jan 29 17 11:05 AM

So ConIFA have uploaded a bunch of documents and this was in their activity report for 2016, thought it might be of interest:

1.2. The following non-members have been informed about CONIFA and invited to initiate talks about
membership with CONIFA during 2016:
  • Crimea (Autonomous Republic, disputed between Ukraine and Russia)
  • Karakalpakstan (Autonomous Region of Uzbekistan)
  • Nakhchivan (Autonomous Republic of Azerbaijan)
  • Palau (UN member nation in Oceania)
  • Wallis et Futuna (French Oversea Department in Oceania)
  • Nauru (UN member nation in Oceania)
  • Norfolk Island (Australian territoriy in Oceania)
  • Tokelau (independent nation under New Zealand protectorate)
  • Niue (independent nation under New Zealand protectorate)
  • Biafra (Region and minority in Nigeria)
  • Ticino (Italian-speaking region of Switzerland)
  • Kabylia (Region and minority in Algeria)
  • Aymara (Indigenous Tribe in South America)
  • Transsylvanian Saxons (Minority in Romania)
  • Danube Germans (Minority in Slavonia/Croatia, Vojvodina/Serbia and Banat/Romania)
  • Cornwall (Celtic Nation in Southern England)

Quote    Reply   

#116 [url]

Jan 30 17 12:36 AM

When it says "following non-members have been informed", who was actually informed? Do all of these have a football association of some description? In the case of Cornwall for example, the extent to which an invitation would be welcomed depends on who received it, and their fieldings about Cornish nationalism.

Quote    Reply   

#117 [url]

Jan 31 17 5:38 PM

nfm24 wrote:
When it says "following non-members have been informed", who was actually informed? Do all of these have a football association of some description? In the case of Cornwall for example, the extent to which an invitation would be welcomed depends on who received it, and their fieldings about Cornish nationalism.
It depends. The list just contains all entities were some kind of contact or contact approach was undertaken during 2016.
In Cornwall a group of people actually contacted us. I asked them of their backing by the Cornish FA and after they checked back with the Cornish FA they dropped the case, stating that the Cornish FA "does not seem to be interested currently" - too bad!
In some cases (Crimea, Aymara, Kabylie, Transsylvanian Saxons, etc) we spoke directly to a Football organisation managing a national team or planning to do so.
In other cases (like Nakhichivan, Karakalpakstan, etc.) we wrote official letters by mail and snail mail to the regional governments and interest groups.
Finally, in Oceania we approached the Commonwealth Games Departments, the sports ministries, the government and in some cases the Football Association.

Quote    Reply   

#118 [url]

Jan 31 17 8:59 PM

DJLiesel wrote:
In Cornwall a group of people actually contacted us. I asked them of their backing by the Cornish FA and after they checked back with the Cornish FA they dropped the case, stating that the Cornish FA "does not seem to be interested currently" - too bad!
Surely though if they looked into the Ellan Vannin situation they'd just try again under the name Kernow?

Another thing I noticed - don't you realise that video games don't sell too well if you mark them as 'educational'? smiley: ohwell

Quote    Reply   

#119 [url]

Jan 31 17 9:34 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer. Yes what you wrote about Cornwall was basically the same point I was making - the Cornwall FA (the one affiliated to the English FA and hence FIFA) has many people on its committee, but the constituency for some sort of "Cornwall national team" is probably not strongly represented, otherwise they would have done something along those lines before. On the other hand, there is bound to be [i]someone[/] who likes the idea, but they may be totally unconnected to the established football community of Cornwall.

Ellan Vannin was a particularly organic one, because they had the direct involvement of leading figures in football in their region, and many of the best players.

Quote    Reply   

#120 [url]

Jan 31 17 10:23 PM

Of course I proposed them to "do the Ellan Vannin". They're still thinking about it, but didn't decide yet.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help