Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 23 16 6:50 PM

Tags : :

So channeling my inner 'Murican here... how 'bout them Cubs?!

First time since 1945 that they've made it to the World Series in baseball aiming for their first win since 1908, where they'll be playing the Cleveland Indians (famed for a definitely pre-PC identity and use of a roided-up Charlie Sheen in the 80's/90's) who haven't won since 1948, so either way a huge drought is getting broken, while in the case of the Chicago Cubs just getting to the final in itself may have broken the Curse of the Billy Goat, apparently on the anniversary of the death of the curser for good measure.

Whether these sports curses are real (or if it's all just in the heads of the victim team which in itself leads to the poor performance that a curse would have achieved) depends on whether you believe the likes of the goat owner or Bela Guttman have the mystical powers to deliver such misfortune (which can be neither proven or disproven), although things like the Steve Bartman incident do seem to be in the realm of something that would naturally happen to a 'cursed team'...
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 23 16 7:27 PM

I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure there is a (football) player whose goals always coincide with the death of an important personality. I think he plays in Premier League, but I can't remember his name. I only know that every time he scores, a VIP dies. Luckily he scores very rarely...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 24 16 8:51 PM

Hmm, he should be banned from scoring goals again. This needn't interfere with his football career, he can just transfer to Sunderland or some similar non-scoring team.

What happens if he scores an own-goal?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 5 16 2:54 PM

For those out of the loop, Cubs won, after being down 3 games to 1 in a best-of-7, in a final game that saw them lead, pegged back in the last inning before a rain delay, then win it in extra innings, to pick up their first title since 1908, while the Indians are now holders of the MLB's longest streak without winning the World Series, dating back to 1948. Surely it's a matter of when not if the movie is made about all this...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Nov 5 16 6:11 PM

Just came across the curious case of Ryoichi Maeda. For six straight seasons the team he scored his first league goal against ended up getting relegated. The "curse" came to an end in 2013 when Maeda's Júbilo Iwata themselves got relegated.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Dec 10 16 9:55 AM

Coming back to this subject, I've discovered a bizarre episode in which curses and superstitions were protagonists.

14/12/1973; Trinidad and Tobago-Mexico 4-0 (Everald Cummings 11' and 39', Steve David 52', Warren Archibald 62')

This match was valid for the 1973 CONCACAF Championship, that is to say the 1974 World Cup Qualifiers, and Trinidad and Tobago astonishingly liquidated Mexico, eliminating them from the World Cup. According to several Mexican sources, this débacle was caused by witcheries and voodoo, as the tournament was held in Haiti...

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 6 17 7:50 PM

There's a terrible relationship between the Argentine coach Héctor Cúper and the international finals.

2017 Africa Cup of Nations (Egypt): runner-up
2000/01 UEFA Champions League (Valencia): runner-up
1999/00 UEFA Champions League (Valencia): runner-up
1998/99 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (Mallorca): runner up.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#12 [url]

Feb 7 17 2:04 PM

Luca wrote:
Coming back to this subject, I've discovered a bizarre episode in which curses and superstitions were protagonists.

14/12/1973; Trinidad and Tobago-Mexico 4-0 (Everald Cummings 11' and 39', Steve David 52', Warren Archibald 62')

This match was valid for the 1973 CONCACAF Championship, that is to say the 1974 World Cup Qualifiers, and Trinidad and Tobago astonishingly liquidated Mexico, eliminating them from the World Cup. According to several Mexican sources, this débacle was caused by witcheries and voodoo, as the tournament was held in Haiti...

If they'd suspected voodoo beforehand would play a large part in the result, why didn't they bring some of their own voodoo experts or shamans to balance the effect?  Clearly they didn't seriously believe it, or they would have done something to mitigate the disaster.  They were just sore losers.  Also, the voodoo "mysteriously vanished" in the next game (against hosts Haiti), who you would have expected would have been keen to use voodoo again after seeing how they managed to influence the T&T-Mexico result.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Feb 7 17 2:06 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help