Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 15 15 8:08 PM

Tags : :

Sensini wrote:
In World Cup 1958 Argentina played in IFK Malmö shirts against Germany (see http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/tournaments/fifa-world-cup/1958/1958-group-1.html ).
In World Cup 1930 Bolivia played in Uruguay shirts against Brazil (see http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/tournaments/fifa-world-cup/1930/1930-group-b.html ).
In World Cup 1938 Brazil played in training shirts against Poland (see http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/tournaments/fifa-world-cup/1938/1938.html ).
In World Cup 1950 Spain's played against Chile in shirts without a crest suggesting they may have been borrowed for this game. (see http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/tournaments/fifa-world-cup/1950/1950-group-b.html ).
IIRC, in the 1983 friendly against Belgium, the Netherlands played in blue training shirts because the suitcase with orange shirts were left in the Netherlands.

Fast Midfielder wrote:
France played i.e. at 1978 World Cup against Hungary with a local club team.

I add two more interesting cases:

07/06/1934: Germany-Austria 3-2
This was the World Cup third place final. As both teams used to wear a white shirt, Austria employed the light blue jersey of Napoli...

01/06/1919: Brazil-Argentina 3-3
Brazil wore the yellow/black kit of Peñarol, while Argentina used the sky blue kit of Uruguay. It was a friendly commemorating the Uruguayan goalkeeper Robert Chery, who had passed away some days before.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 15 15 8:17 PM

At the 1972 Brazil Independence Cup, Iran faced Ireland, but both teams had brought green shirts. The solution was for Iran to play in local club Santa Cruz's colours.

And during the 1937 Copa América, Brazil twice played with borrowed uniforms as their white kit clashed with their opponents': against Peru (with the Independiente kit) and Chile (as Boca Juniors).

Last Edited By: Kaizeler Jun 15 15 8:24 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 17 15 9:08 AM

Thanks. And I've discovered that also Italy Under-21, in a 1994 match versus Croatia, used the red shirt of Nissa, after forgetting the traditional light blue kits...

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 17 15 11:22 AM

About kits (this one is off topic but very remarkable). I remember Netherlands and Brazil both wore their home kits at the 1998 World Cup semi finals. That makes it very odd that both teams had to wear their away kits four years before.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 26 15 9:13 AM

1950 World Cup. Mexico faced Switzerland in the third match. As both teams wore a red shirt, Mexico were obliged to employ the white-blue kit of a local club: Cruzeiro Porto Alegre.

Source.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 27 15 10:36 PM

Taking a more literal interpretation of the topic title, in a match at home vs Sudan in the early 1970s Tanzania did not wear any shirts at all. They did wear shorts, socks and boots though.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 19 16 2:12 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Taking a more literal interpretation of the topic title, in a match at home vs Sudan in the early 1970s Tanzania did not wear any shirts at all. They did wear shorts, socks and boots though.

In case anybody wanted to see evidence:

19720709_tanz_sunday_news.jpg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#13 [url]

Jan 25 16 1:01 PM

It was for the East African Challenge Cup (as it was still known) to be held September 1972. Ultimately, Kenya and Uganda withdrew late, leaving just Tanzania (Mainland) and Zanzibar to play a friendly against each other. After 1972 more teams were incorporated.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 29 16 9:28 AM

I have found out another bizarre episode.

18/01/1967 - South American Championship
Chile Venezuela 2-0

As both Chile and Venezuela used a red shirt, Venezuela were obliged to wear a different uniform, choosing Peñarol's black and yellow kit...

Source

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 29 16 10:30 PM

Luca wrote:
Venezuela were obliged to wear a different uniform, choosing Peñarol's black and yellow kit...

Good choice, I always liked that colour scheme, similar to the classic Malaysian shirts.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 3 16 6:31 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Costa Rica U20 played the Netherlands in the opening match of the 2015 Toulon Tournament today, the first half in their navy training tops, before coming out for the second half in their red home shirts, which must have just been in the dryer or something...

This is of course always going to be extremely rare for international football, but just how rare? I know a special case was in 2004, when France played Brazil in a FIFA Centenery friendly, with Brazil turning out in the first half in white 'retro kits' before reverting to normal at half-time...

A similar situation occurred also during the following match:

15/03/1985; World Cup Qualifier; Iraq 6-0 Lebanon (Result later annulled. Not a full FIFA international)

Lebanon wore yellow shirts in the first half, and red shirts in the second half.

Below I post a short video from that bizarre event:

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 25 17 7:52 PM

Luca wrote:

A similar situation occurred also during the following match:

15/03/1985; World Cup Qualifier; Iraq 6-0 Lebanon (Result later annulled. Not a full FIFA international)

Lebanon wore yellow shirts in the first half, and red shirts in the second half.

Below I post a short video from that bizarre event:

The match officials felt Lebanon's first kit clashed with Iraq's white kit and so they were forced to wear the yellow shirts of Kuwait club Al-Qadisiya (club badge included) and in the second half they wore red shirts.

In 1965, Iraq beat Zamalek 3-0 wearing the red shirts of Egyptian rivals Al-Ahly!

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 26 17 12:02 AM

Excerpt from the "China Mail" 1 Dec 1965, report of AIK vs Australia:
We had a real comedy of colours last night. First Australia changed from gold to dark green and the colour clashed with AIK's black to which they had changed from white. The Swedes changed back to white. In the first arrangement the referee and linesmen appeared in all-white uniforms which clashed in turn with the Swedish second choice. The referee changed back to all-black and the linesmen wore AIK black shirts with gold numbers on the back.. Fred Pratlett was "Mr 14" and Sammy Tsang "Mr 15". All very colourful.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 10 17 1:41 PM

A couple days ago Atlético Tucumán arrived late and without their kits to a Libertadores match in Ecuador, so they put on the kits of Argentina U20, who are currently there taking part in the Conmebol Youth Championships.

Tucumán traditionally equip in sky blue and white anyway, though:

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help