Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 15 17 8:32 PM

Tags : :

Clickbaity title but I came across an interesting thing earlier in the week... apparently in 1942, with much of the world distracted by... other things, the Kingdom of Patagonia took it upon themselves to organise a World Cup, with national teams represented by people who happened to be in the area at the time.

Would be an incredibly interesting story were it not just that, a story. Italian mockumentary to be precise. And the results of this 12-team 'tournament' can be found here, Mapuche haven't really done much since that golden generation.

But to turn this into at least some kind of constructive topic, any real-life secret or 'forgotten' tournaments out there in the history books? The Christmas Truce matches of World War I being the most famous example of an unofficial international but more relevant ones would be those where the players weren't dressed in full combat gear... can't help but think there must have been people who have tried something like the mockumentary suggests even on a smaller scale...
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 15 17 8:56 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
any real-life secret or 'forgotten' tournaments out there in the history books?

Not sure how they could be forgotten *and* in the history books.  But you may have noticed that a lot of the topics on this forum are about related research into international football history, with many "new" or "forgotten" matches and tournaments having been uncovered.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 16 17 2:07 PM

In October 2014, an Italian press agency reported that ISIS jihadists were going to organize a football "world cup" in Libya, with teams of militiamen coming from Afghanistan, Syria, Egypt, Iraq and Libya. I haven't verified the reliability of the news though.

mattsanger92 wrote:
Mapuche haven't really done much since that golden generation.
But in 1998 a Mapuche striker, Marcelo Salas, astonished England with a remarkable double at Wembley in a famous friendly...

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 16 17 8:31 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Not sure how they could be forgotten *and* in the history books.  But you may have noticed that a lot of the topics on this forum are about related research into international football history, with many "new" or "forgotten" matches and tournaments having been uncovered.
smiley: grin Not slipped me by, I just didn't really explain myself properly. I'm talking of situations where there were no recognised body organising the match but it was still an 'international' in spirit even if the players were just ones who happened to be nearby and available.

So for example, during WW2 there were stories of say English v Polish military teams, so not that far-fetched to imagine there being some kind of informal tournament between some of the many different nationalities that were exiled in the UK at the time, just that because of an unofficial nature it probably wouldn't be found in the usual sources used around here...

In fact in my quick searching to back up my Polish soldier claim, I've found one, Google is our friend. Something along these lines I guess, or more obscure...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 17 17 1:15 AM

Yes, again, I/we have posted about exactly that tournament on this forum. But these aren't really international matches in a real representative sense.

In colonial Hong Kong there was a tournament each year involving "England", "Scotland", "Portugal" and "China" (and sometimes a couple of others). Similar tournaments or matches were played in many parts of the Empire. Though these were usually organised by the local association so perhaps not as informal as what you are talking about, which sounds to me more like a sort of school kickabout dividing teams into "North" vs "South" or "Brits" vs "The Rest" or whatever.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 17 17 8:00 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Though these were usually organised by the local association so perhaps not as informal as what you are talking about
Wasn't really looking for an 'informal' event specifically, could be 'officially' arranged as well, I don't mind, just seeing if there are any of those kinds of stories out there, something to entertain the ghosts and all that...

But these aren't really international matches in a real representative sense.
And of course they are more likely than not to have that status, again I go into this with a wide scope.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help