Remove this ad

#141 [url]

Dec 3 16 8:02 PM

Apparently Hamilton's biggest cheerleaders are spinning it that way, it was a surprise announcement but if his sole aim in F1 was to win a championship then he's achieved that, may as well go out at the top. For money issues I'd imagine he'll get plenty of commercial opportunities next year to tide him over smiley: wink (seriously, the man is a sponsor's dream), after that he'll probably come back as a team manager or pundit or something if the millions have run out.

Now the question moves on to who will replace him, will Mercedes break the bank to get someone who can give Hamilton a run for his money, or a clear #2 like their reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein? Apparently that 'training' tweet came the same day Rosberg announced his retirement, can't help but feel he's gone to the Phil Brown school of not-so-subtly putting their name forward for a job without being asked...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#146 [url]

Jan 25 17 7:19 PM

Think Bernie clearly trumped Sepp in the bank balance department too... a pretty significant portion of that $8b must have his name on it. Also trumped Sepp in, err, supporting Trump. All things are relative though, so bear in mind that Bernie is basically a mob boss who doesn't even pretend to hide any of it, once bribed his way out of a bribery case and all that.

Plus he's taken that adviser role so will probably still be around a lot of the races (therefore still in the public eye and not hard to reach if some shady business from the past pops up), compared to Mr Blatter who has seemingly retired to a nice quiet village chateau somewhere, probably somewhere close to where they named a cup after him, but he does like to go for a kickabout with his mates from time to time.

If anything, Bernie will be kept about just so the media have an easier transition than the intimidation of having to approach his magnificently-groomed successor Chase Carey. But Bernie's far from retirement age anyway, his pact with the smiley: devil probably made sure of that...

Quote    Reply   

#148 [url]

Jan 26 17 5:35 PM

So disregard a lot of what was said in the last couple of posts, especially the 'quit while ahead' parts, looks like that all that money isn't enough for Bernie, he just wants power, which begs the question of why he ever sold up in the first place. Don't know why I underestimated his ability to backstab though, it's about as high as he can reach after all.

Even if all he does is quit the new management over inevitable 'creative differences' as rumoured (I don't see an octogenerian who refuses to acknowledge the power of online media as someone who can get a successful start-up going in this day and age), he still has his hand in the F1 pie to an extent through one of the last deals he set up, the long-overdue return of the French GP, to be hosted by the Circuit Paul Ricard, track owner - Bernie Ecclestone. Might be a nice weekend trip while it lasts though.

But one thing I am standing by is the 'Blatter and his mates playing football' image, after realising that it's not photoshop and that he did indeed play that match, it might just be one of my favourite pictures ever. I remember a Roon Ba All-Stars team being suggested by someone a few years ago, reckon they'd be good opponents?

Quote    Reply   

#149 [url]

Jan 26 17 6:01 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
But one thing I am standing by is the 'Blatter and his mates playing football' image, after realising that it's not photoshop and that he did indeed play that match, it might just be one of my favourite pictures ever. I remember a Roon Ba All-Stars team being suggested by someone a few years ago, reckon they'd be good opponents?

Blatter might (just) be a better player than José Manuel Barroso.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#153 [url]

Mar 16 17 8:52 PM

That's a surprise... you should have kept it quiet till after the first race, I might not have noticed until the starting grid. Looks like it's the sponsors that have caused the change, just from a variation perspective beats the grey version they were going to use, and as a whole the grid is looking a lot more colourful than the grey/white/blue-out that existed a few years ago, takes me back to my first few years of watching when you could easily tell each team apart...

Amazingly there is now a vacancy for a mainly black car to enter without confusion, so can Red Bull please go back to Black Zebra?

Quote    Reply   

#156 [url]

May 30 17 7:46 AM

This Alonso development of "player power" is quite interesting. I suppose in football the equivalent would be (say) Neymar bunking off from "El Clasico" to go and play in the MLS Cup final.

Quote    Reply   

#157 [url]

May 30 17 8:29 AM

nfm24 wrote:
This Alonso development of "player power" is quite interesting.
Honestly, in this instance I think they had no choice but to let him do this. To stretch it into your Neymar analogy, it would be like if Barcelona had started each game for the last 3 seasons with 9 players. Plus F1, as much as it's about the cars, a champion driver is a rare commodity, I'm not surprised they want to keep him sweet after the cars they've put him through.

And as much as the indy series does seem to be an F1 cast-offs paradise (as evidenced by 'reliable finisher' Max Chilton being a few laps from victory, eventually taken by Takuma Sato, a 40-year-old who's best-ever F1 finish was 3rd), it is one part of the prestigious 'triple crown' (awarded to a driver who has won Monaco GP + Indy 500 + Le Mans 24hr, only one driver has ever completed it), which is obviously what Alonso's aiming for.

It was fun hearing the ignorance of the American commentators before the race though, it was pretty much "Well he's a double world champion but does he know how to do a restart?"

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help