Remove this ad

#61 [url]

Sep 22 16 6:57 PM

I've probably found out another case. On 16/08/1992 Trinidad and Tobago faced Jamaica for the World Cup qualifiers. Every source, including FIFA, mentions Hayden Thomas in the starting Trinidadian line-up. I have some doubts though, because Hayden Thomas was a goalkeeper. More likely it was Alvin Thomas (a proper outfield player) the guy who appeared for T&T.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Sep 22 16 9:51 PM

According to the FIFA reports, #19 Alvin Thomas was on the bench for the first leg, and #19 Hayden Thomas started the 2nd leg, and #26 Ross Russell the reserve goalkeeper was on the bench in both legs. So it must be Alvin Thomas in the 2nd leg, known as a defender.

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Sep 24 16 9:28 AM

Yeah, I was almost sure it was Alvin. I'm going to inform RSSSF to fix the name in these files: Trinidad and Tobago - Details of World Cup Qualifiers and 1992 MATCHES - NORTH AND CENTRAL AMERICA AND CARIBBEAN.

Another unusual episode occurred on 25/03/2001. Every source, including FIFA, reports Mazlan Wahid playing as an outfielder for Malaysia in their World Cup qualifier against Palestine. Why unusual? Because Mazlan Wahid was a goalkeeper.

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Sep 25 16 6:21 PM

Luca wrote:
Another unusual episode occurred on 25/03/2001. Every source, including FIFA, reports Mazlan Wahid playing as an outfielder for Malaysia in their World Cup qualifier against Palestine. Why unusual? Because Mazlan Wahid was a goalkeeper.

The original FIFA report for that match was botched, e.g. the Malaysia lineup doesn't include the goal-scorer Hairuddin.

Other sources give this lineup which seems more :
 Mohd Syamsuri Mustaffa [GK], Irwan Fadli Idrus, Norhafiz Zamani Misbah (Bahtiar Othman 86'), Batumalai Rajinikandh, Ahmad Shahrul Azhar Sofian, Akmal Rizal Rakhli, Khairil Zainal, Mohd Juzaili Samion, Mohd Shukor Adan, Chow Chee Weng, Hairuddin Omar.

The coach put in some young players for this last qualifier, meaningless in the table.
Also the goals were: Akmal 21' 68' pen, Hairuddin 54', Irwan 56'

Quote    Reply   

#65 [url]

Sep 27 16 1:01 PM

From 1959 (Associated Press):
Copenhagen, Apr 21 : Goalkeeper Erik Olsen of the Oerum Football Club fought a losing one-man battle against a full-sized opposing team when his ten team-mates failed to show up in time for a local match at Onsild, Southern Jutland. When the referee's whistle called the players onto the field, Olsen found himself alone facing the full eleven of Onsild. The remaining members of the Oerum team were just arriving and hurrying into the dressing room to don their boots. Olsen decided to fight alone. He won the toss and kicked the ball as far out on the field as he could, then stormed back to the goal. For several minutes he fought desperately, taking full advantage of his right to use his hands as well as feet. When his team-mates finally ran into field, Onsild led Olsen 1-0. The arrival of the team-mates didn't help much though, Onsild won 4-0. Olsen said later he somehow fouled up the match in those starting minutes. "I should have kept them on the defence," he said.

Quote    Reply   

#66 [url]

Oct 15 16 9:57 AM

I think I've found out another "hero", even if I haven't investigated thoroughly.
Jelly Selau of Tuvalu, at the 2011 Pacific Games, was the goalkeeper in the games against American Samoa, Vanuatu and Guam, and played as a midfielder in the game against the Solomon Islands.

Quote    Reply   

#68 [url]

Oct 18 16 9:26 PM

He was sent off in the game vs Guam but Tuvalu still got a 1-1 draw and finished above Guam in the group... put's Guam's meteoric rise nicely into perspective. They still had a Japanese coach at that time.

Gary White for the England job ?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#72 [url]

Nov 14 16 11:57 PM

Kaizeler wrote:
Two years later North Korea put a striker in one of their goalkeeper slots in the 2010 WC squad, but FIFA said in that case he could only play as a goalkeeper.

I don't see what business it is of FIFA to tell teams which players to put in which position.  There are plenty of cases of an outfielder having to play in goal after a sending off or injury...  FIFA don't make allowances for that, so what is their problem?

Quote    Reply   

#73 [url]

Jan 23 17 7:35 PM

Don't ask me if they actually were good outfield players, but on 20/08/1969, at the South Pacific Games, Papua New Guinea, in order to preserve energy for the bronze medal match, fielded versus Fiji a weakened team including all three of its goalkeepers...!

Source

Last Edited By: Luca Jan 23 17 8:12 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#74 [url]

Feb 25 17 11:44 PM

In the CECAFA club championship held in Uganda in January 1978, Malawi's Hardware Stars were losing to Simba of Tanzania and going out of the tournament. Having just gone 2-0 behind to a goal by Kibadeni with about 15 minutes left, Hardware's goalkeeper Dzimbiri decided to become a striker, and a substitute keeper Nkwalula had to come in. Dzimbiri had a few chances but couldn't alter the result.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help