Remove this ad

#961 [url]

Jun 1 17 9:04 AM

I'll be more precise shortly, but it seems that FIGC is not going to classify this friendly as full international. Neither caps nor goals will be counted. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#962 [url]

Jun 1 17 9:26 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I think it also depends on your motive for collecting results.

For example, my motive is (ultimately) to create a ranking. So, for me, countries using their B/C/CHAN team does not tell me anything about how to rank A teams. So, at least as far as more recent matches go, I can label these as B matches and not include them for ranking purposes (but still include a record of them on my site).

If the motive is simply to collect the results to have a record, I think these recent Croatia/Italy-type matches can be included as A matches, but with a note mentioning the large divergence from the "normal" A-team squad.

As we are talking about friendlies, these matches won't affect competitive rankings at all. For Elo or FIFA rankings they hardly affect rankings as friendlies are lower valued, especially when the opposition is a team like San Marino. Even an 8-0 win against such kind of minnows won't even give any points in competitive matches, not to mention friendlies.

Quote    Reply   

#963 [url]

Jun 1 17 1:48 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
As we are talking about friendlies, these matches won't affect competitive rankings at all. For Elo or FIFA rankings they hardly affect rankings as friendlies are lower valued, especially when the opposition is a team like San Marino. Even an 8-0 win against such kind of minnows won't even give any points in competitive matches, not to mention friendlies.
I'm not sure about the exact science, but some European national teams have hired rankings experts who advised them not to play friendlies, as even a win in one against a lower-ranked opponent can lower their points average. The teams who have taken that advice in recent years include Switzerland (Pot 1 at the 2014 World Cup), Wales, and Romania (both Pot 1 in the 2018 Qualifiers).

Italy themselves (and France) failed to get seeded in 2014 at Switzerland's expense and the Suiss use of the 'no friendly formula' was considered a root cause (not sure how much was accurate and how much was reactionary sour grapes though).

I'm not the one to ask about the specifics of making it better, but there should be a way to reward national teams for having matches, or rather, not punish a team for playing more.

Quote    Reply   

#964 [url]

Jun 1 17 2:03 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:

I'm not the one to ask about the specifics of making it better, but there should be a way to reward national teams for having matches, or rather, not punish a team for playing more.

FIFA rankings are not fair as you even can lose points when you win. The Elo Ratings look more fair to me. A plays against B. The points A wil obtain that match will be lost by B. If you win, you won't lose any points. In the worst case you won't win any. When Holland beat San Marino 11-0 in a Euro qualifying match, the Dutch did not won any point, thus San Marino did not lost any point.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#966 [url]

Jun 2 17 9:03 PM

Chile v Burkina Faso tonight - Burkina Faso sending their CHAN team + 3 or 4 "non-CHAN" players (their coach is giving priority to their AFCON 2019 campaign). Quite dangerous, considering that Chile is possibly a Top 10 team at the moment.

On the subject of "matches to recognise" - Chile are possibly going to sue the Burkina Faso FA for breach of contract (for sending an understrength team). I think FAs should look at upcoming schedules of other teams and pick teams that have no other commitments. I believe the Chile FA simply wanted a decent African opponent. But they should have done their research a bit better before agreeing to the match,

Quote    Reply   

#968 [url]

Jun 5 17 9:10 AM

Luca wrote:
I'll be more precise shortly, but it seems that FIGC is not going to classify this friendly as full international. Neither caps nor goals will be counted. 

At this moment (5 June 2017, 09:10 GMT) this match is still listed.

Quote    Reply   

#969 [url]

Jun 5 17 6:09 PM

It would have been particularly dunce-tastic of the Chileans to assume that a team, from any continent, upon invitation out to South America for a fairly meaningless friendly (from the visitors' point of view), would send the strongest team. Unless they had this specifically written into the contract, which given the subjective natiure of "strong team" would presumably mean naming particular players or stipulating minimal number of players with a certain threshold of caps. Unrealistic. Clowns.

All national FAs should pay a monthly subscription to M.Cruickshank Enterprises to receive advice on which fixtures to arrange. Not so much for ranking exploitation but just for general anti-clownage.

Quote    Reply   

#970 [url]

Jun 5 17 6:55 PM

Meanwhile I am watching Belgium vs Czechia. This appears to be an unofficial as the Czech coach wanted to use 10-11 substitutes. However FIFA won't let this happen as the referee is a FIFA referee and not allowed to permit more than 6 substitutes. The nonsense show is continuing.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#972 [url]

Jun 6 17 2:20 PM

Czechs asked Belgians for unlimited substitutions - referee phoned FIFA, FIFA refused.

In any case, the match had not been authorised by UEFA or FIFA (not sure how this could happen with 2 experienced FAs), so even if they hadn't asked for unlimited subs, the match would not have counted.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#973 [url]

Jun 6 17 2:34 PM

Many perfectly good international matches just appearing and disappearing from FIFA's site with no explanation (both men and women). Togo v Comoros and Liberia v Sierra Leone are recent casualties. Something clearly wrong with the approval process (and knowledge thereof) when so many matches fall foul of this rule.

I include all matches on the site, apart from obvious CHAN v CHAN matches. I suggest everyone else should do the same and not follow FIFA's list (CHAN matches can be counted - it's my personal decision not to count them).

Quote    Reply   

#974 [url]

Jun 6 17 2:42 PM

the Czech coach wanted to make 10-11 substitutes, finally he only made 6, Belgium made 6 also....I do not understand what is the use of making so much substitutions, as a coach you cannot learn anything from it.....For the public it is unfair, why does the public has to pay for this kind of circus? There are 23 palyers in the selection, let them play each other in a real training match...... The local press found it strange "only 23000" showed up, not a bad attendance for a friendly...

Quote    Reply   

#975 [url]

Jun 6 17 4:53 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I suggest everyone else should do the same and not follow FIFA's list (CHAN matches can be counted - it's my personal decision not to count them).

I don't follow FIFA's list since about 15 years. The reasons? Deleting Olympic matches between full sides, which have been regarded A by both teams. Also the status of some matches which have been switched on and on.....

Quote    Reply   

#976 [url]

Jun 6 17 4:55 PM

pieter wrote:
I do not understand what is the use of making so much substitutions, as a coach you cannot learn anything from it.....

I agree. In most matches 6 substittes have been used, 3 or even more played only the last 10-15 minutes. Imho this is too short to test players. I would test these substitutes in the B-team.

Quote    Reply   

#978 [url]

Jun 6 17 8:30 PM

Anyhow a revision may be needed for when to regard friendly matches in particular as A. This is the Germany selection for the forthcoming matches this month. San Marino isn't a serious opposition indeed, but it appears to be the Germans don't take the Confederations Cup not too seriously, as they also did not in 1999. This German selection we even can consider as a weakened B-team.

Well, imho competitive matches should be regarded as A anyhow. Friendlies are a different matter, but as this happens more often recently for matches which has been arranged as A, we alsomay revise such kind of matches which have been played in the past.

The following players have been called up for the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup.[126]
Caps and goals as of 26 March 2017 after the match against Azerbaijan.

# Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Goals Club
1 GK Kevin Trapp 8 July 1990 (age 26) 0 0 France Paris Saint-Germain
12 GK Bernd Leno 4 March 1992 (age 25) 4 0 Germany Bayer Leverkusen
22 GK Marc-André ter Stegen 30 April 1992 (age 25) 9 0 Spain Barcelona

2 DF Shkodran Mustafi 17 April 1992 (age 25) 15 1 England Arsenal
3 DF Jonas Hector 27 May 1990 (age 27) 27 3 Germany 1. FC Köln
4 DF Matthias Ginter 19 January 1994 (age 23) 9 0 Germany Borussia Dortmund
5 DF Marvin Plattenhardt 26 January 1992 (age 25) 0 0 Germany Hertha BSC
6 DF Benjamin Henrichs 23 February 1997 (age 20) 1 0 Germany Bayer Leverkusen
16 DF Antonio Rüdiger 3 March 1993 (age 24) 12 0 Italy Roma
17 DF Niklas Süle 3 September 1995 (age 21) 1 0 Germany 1899 Hoffenheim
18 DF Joshua Kimmich 8 February 1995 (age 22) 13 1 Germany Bayern Munich

7 MF Julian Draxler 20 September 1993 (age 23) 28 3 France Paris Saint-Germain
8 MF Leon Goretzka 6 February 1995 (age 22) 3 0 Germany Schalke 04
10 MF Kerem Demirbay 3 July 1993 (age 23) 0 0 Germany 1899 Hoffenheim
14 MF Emre Can 12 January 1994 (age 23) 8 0 England Liverpool
15 MF Amin Younes 6 August 1993 (age 23) 0 0 Netherlands Ajax
20 MF Julian Brandt 2 May 1996 (age 21) 5 0 Germany Bayer Leverkusen
21 MF Sebastian Rudy 28 February 1990 (age 27) 14 0 Germany 1899 Hoffenheim
23 MF Diego Demme 21 November 1991 (age 25) 0 0 Germany RB Leipzig

9 FW Sandro Wagner 29 November 1987 (age 29) 0 0 Germany 1899 Hoffenheim
11 FW Timo Werner 6 March 1996 (age 21) 1 0 Germany RB Leipzig
13 FW Lars Stindl 26 August 1988 (age 28) 0 0 Germany Borussia Mönchengladbach

Quote    Reply   

#980 [url]

Jun 7 17 2:32 PM

I think the Germans do this because this month World Cup qualifying game is gaianst San Marino and they consider the Conederations Cup not as serious as the World Cup. Not selecting their first choice players implies they can take more restand they will benefit from this next season. Especially at the end of the seasonwhen the Worldchampionships will be played.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help