Remove this ad

Lead

May 31 17 9:41 AM

Tags : :

I've just discovered one of the most unusual coincidences in the history of international football.
It occurred on 28/04/1963, when Bulgaria faced Czechoslovakia for a friendly match. The Bulgarian goalkeeper Georgi Naydenov was replaced by the Bulgarian goalkeeper Georgi Naydenov... icon_smile.gif

I recall seeing some Guinea's line-ups with 5 or 6 "Sylla" and some United Arab Emirates squads with 6 or 7 "Mubarak", but I think this one beats all... icon_smile.gif

Last Edited By: Luca Jun 8 17 6:34 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jun 4 17 12:19 PM

In 1979 match Netherlands vs Argentina, Jan Peters of Feyenoord entered the field in the 57' for Oranje, while his namesake of AZ'67 played from the kick-off. It was a Jubilee match for 75 years FIFA, and because it ended 0-0, there was a penalty shoot-out. Three Dutch players missed: René v.d. Kerkhof, Jan Peters and Jan Peters... It was the only international match for Feyenoord's Jan Peters, AZ's (and before AZ: NEC) Jan Peters received 31 "caps".
http://www.voetbalstats.nl/opstelnedxi.php?wid=382

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 5 17 7:02 PM

The Jan Peters born in 1954 was also the midfielder who scored two goals at Wembley in the first ever Dutch win against England. He also played in Serie A, but without making his mark. 

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 8 17 6:48 PM

For a period in the 1960s-1970s, Burma has two players named Aye Maung in its squad, and also various other players with fairly similar names.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Jun 10 17 8:59 PM

nfm24 wrote:
For a period in the 1960s-1970s, Burma has two players named Aye Maung in its squad, and also various other players with fairly similar names.

Actually even three players with this name. Aye Maung Gyi, Aye Maung Lay and Aye Maung Win.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

A homonymy between a coach and a player. Over the 2010 World Cup, Vladimír Weiss of Slovakia fielded his son Vladimír.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help