Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#981 [url]

Jun 7 17 2:48 PM

Please can anyone help here with my interpretation of the FIFA circular regarding FIFA match windows:

From what I can deduce - it seems it is not permitted for teams to play matches on the first 2 days of an international window (Monday and Tuesday - in the case of the current 5th-13th June window, 5th and 6th June). Am I missing something?  Or have FIFA just allowed a bunch of matches that are not allowed by their own rules?

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/64/71/22/circularno.1489-regulationsonthestatusandtransferofplayers-releaseoffemaleplayerstoassociationteams_neutral.pdf

4. There are three types of international windows:
a. Type I is defined as a period of nine days starting on a Monday morning and ending on Tuesday night the following week, which is reserved for representative teams' activities.
During the type I international window, a maximum of two matches may be played by each representative team, irrespective of whether these matches are qualifying matches
for an international tournament or friendlies. The pertinent matches can be scheduled on any day as from Wednesday during the international window, provided that a
minimum of two full calendar days are left between two matches (e.g. Thursday/Sunday or Saturday/Tuesday).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#983 [url]

Jun 7 17 8:58 PM

nfm24 wrote:
That circular is about women's national teams. Is the men's situation different?
Oops - didn't notice. Women's matches also have FIFA windows too (the current one is 5-13 June, same as men, and 2 matches were scheduled on 6 June, in apparent contravention of the circular).

In any case, luckily for me, exactly the same wording is used for the men's matches smiley: glasses

On Page 3,

4. An international window is defined as aperiod of nine days starting on a Monday morning and ending on Tuesday night the following week, which is reserved for representative teams' activities. During any international windowa maximum of two matches may be played by each representative team, irrespective of whether these matches are qualifying matches for an international tournament or friendlies. The pertinent matches can be scheduled any day as from Wednesday during the international window, provided that a minimum of two full calendar days are left between two matches (e.g. Thursday/Sunday or Saturday/Tuesday). 

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#984 [url]

Jun 7 17 9:07 PM

So, for the last international window (7-15 November), all matches on 7 and 8 November should not be official, and the one before, all on 3rd and 4th October should not be official. For the current, all matches on 5th and 6th June should not be official (quite a large number of games).

Quote    Reply   

#985 [url]

Jun 8 17 6:18 AM

Hmm. Either it's yet another case of FIFA arbitrarily choosing when to enforce a rule (or a guideline), or less likely, it's been superseded by another circular.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#986 [url]

Jun 8 17 10:22 AM

It seems matches can be played on Monday or Tuesday, but FAs cannot force players to play. They only have this right from Wednesday. All very confusing.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#987 [url]

Jun 8 17 6:58 PM

Surely they can never "force" players to play if they don't want to, in reality. Or perhaps we've found an explanation for some of Scotland's recent performances.

Quote    Reply   

#988 [url]

Jun 8 17 7:02 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
Luca wrote:
I'll be more precise shortly, but it seems that FIGC is not going to classify this friendly as full international. Neither caps nor goals will be counted. 

At this moment (5 June 2017, 09:10 GMT) this match is still listed.
Yes, and it's strange, considering that caps and goals are not awarded to the ones who appeared against San Marino, see Domenico Berardi, Gianluca Lapadula etc. Coach Ventura, before the game, said: “This is not Italy "B". This is the Italian national team.”. But in reality it was a squad composed of inexperienced and second-choice elements, so it was everything but Italy "A".

Fast Midfielder wrote:
it appears to be the Germans don't take the Confederations Cup not too seriously, as they also did not in 1999. This German selection we even can consider as a weakened B-team.
Also in 1997 and in 2003 Germany didn't take the Confederations Cup too seriously, refusing to enter. They fielded their strongest squad only in 2005 (obviously because they hosted the tournament).

Quote    Reply   

#989 [url]

Jun 28 17 9:26 PM

This post is also a very interesting one regarding this matter. Mexico are playing at two fronts simultaneously. Tonight the ConCaCaf Gold Cup squad is playing a friendly against Ghana to prepare for the ConCaCaf Gold Cup. There's also a team playing at the Confederations Cup.This situation is somehow comparable what Hungary did on 29-04-1934. One team played a World Cup qualifying match against Bulgaria, another an International Cup against Austria.

Both teams were a mix of A- and B-players. The Mexican case is different. The team that plays at the Confederation Cup is the A-team, the one that will play at the ConCaCaf Gold Cup is rather a B-team. Yet I think all these matches can be considered (counted) as A-international as they play competitive matches mentioned to be for A-teams.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#990 [url]

Jun 29 17 12:38 AM

Yes, I think we have to count both Mexico teams as the A team.

I think the situation is not quite the same as a few years ago, when Mexico sent their best team to the Gold Cup, and the U-23 team to the Copa América, as the Copa América was an invitation, unlike the Gold Cup (their own continental tournament, where all matches should be counted as A matches) and the Confederations Cup.

Quote    Reply   

#992 [url]

Jun 29 17 8:07 PM

It is said some players of the Confederations Cup squad will draft into the ConCaCaf Gold Cup squad.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help