Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jun 19 17 7:24 PM

Technically it did do its job well and disallowed/allowed VARgas' goals where they should have been, but it wasn't exactly a fluid process. I was more concerned about how they didn't add the stoppage time, in fact there was meant to be 4 minutes and despite having a VAR review in the middle of it the ref ended after 3:30?

As I've said before, on the one hand both teams are equally affected by the rules so it's not a huge problem, but VAR could have done with a lot more testing on the club scene first. But kudos for calling the Confederations Cup important, I take it you're one of the yays on my poll?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Jun 19 17 9:09 PM

It is a major competitive tournament for senior international teams, worth ranking points etc. So FIFA itself considers it important regardless of what us punters think :-)

It smacks of FIFA trying to "show off" how innovative they are being by trialling stuff when the spotlight is on them. Actually it just looks unprofessional.

About the actual implementation of the VAR... I am confused, why is everything still controlled by the pitch referee ultimately? I thought the point of the VAR was to account for mistakes or omissions by the pitch referee. But it seems they aren't really able to overrule him without his own input, why?

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jun 21 17 4:24 PM

I guess the VARs are supposed to be like the linesmen. If the ref doesn't see an incident that the lino does, the ref takes the advice on board and makes his decision from there (usually in line with what the official who saw the incident says). VAR consultation seems to be the same thing but with an earpiece. Not like in American sports where the ref will 'go to the booth' for themselves

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jun 21 17 7:13 PM

I thought there was supposed to be a contingency for the pitch referee to view the video himself, in a "referee review area", if he so wishes. If not, then to me it seems strange to leave the final decision with the pitch referee.

And of course, the VAR cannot resolve incidents where the referee intervened erroneously, e.g. blew the whistle for a non-existent foul or offside in the build up to a potential goal which never materialized. In that case all the VAR can offer is a moral victory.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jun 23 17 9:56 AM

nfm24 wrote:
I thought there was supposed to be a contingency for the pitch referee to view the video himself, in a "referee review area", if he so wishes.
Right on cue, this is exactly what the Gambian referee did after the punch-up at the end of the Mexico-NZ match.  However, the fact that, even after viewing the incidents himself, the referee decided to give only three yellow cards seems to show that personal judgment will still play a large part, regardless of the VAR pinpointing the relevant incidents to be punished.

Personally I would have given at least one red card there, definitely for Marco Fabián who ran 30 yards unprovoked to elbow a relatively innocent NZ player in the head.  A few others could easily have been sent off as well.

On the plus side, at least this means my fear that the VAR would spell the end of the good old traditional mass brawl are unfounded.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jun 23 17 6:02 PM

nfm24 wrote:
On the plus side, at least this means my fear that the VAR would spell the end of the good old traditional mass brawl are unfounded.

As long as there is a Latin American team on the field, the risk of a good old mass brawl is always alive and kicking...

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jun 29 17 9:36 AM

Wow, third consecutive final for Chile!
They can become the fourth South American country to win a FIFA competition for major national teams, after Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jun 29 17 4:35 PM

Chile could also win a "major" international trophy for the third year in a row, almost an unique feat.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jun 29 17 6:17 PM

What about this Argentina's hat-trick? 1991 Copa América, 1992 King Fahd Cup, 1993 Copa América. Ok, the King Fahd Cup wasn't the most prestigious tournament, but it is officially recognized by FIFA as the predecessor of the Confederations Cup.

Brazil could have achieved a legendary poker, when they won the 2004 Copa América, the 2005 Confederations Cup and the 2007 Copa América, but they missed the 2006 World Cup. Luckily for Italy smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jun 29 17 8:32 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Chile could also win a "major" international trophy for the third year in a row, almost an unique feat.
And if they somehow also get the 2018 World Cup and 2019 Copa America they could get up to 5 in a row, unless they count the Olympics they'd have to invent a 2020 tournament in order to keep it going beyond that (call me).

Anyway, I hope they do win on Sunday, Germany in general have treated the tournament as though they selected 'nay' at the top of the first page. Pretty much summed up by choosing not to replace two injured players pre-tournament, when you'd assume that could give two German players priceless experience of the 'tournament atmosphere'. Aside from contempt for both the Confederations Cup and their own players, they'd probably already paid most of the costs for a 23-man squad in advance, if anything only taking 21 is just inefficiency on their part, which their countrymen must surely see as unforgivable.

Ignoring that bias though, two questions regarding tonight's match - how did Mexico lose that, and how did Mexico lose by that much? Not taking anything away from the German squad as they can already call it a fantastic achievement, but I hope Chile smash them in the Final (metaphorically, of course). I fear the CC loses some of its credibility if Germany can treat the tournament like they have and not only come away with a medal, but a gold one... smiley: eyes

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jun 29 17 10:04 PM

We can't expect the Germans not to use the event as a bit of a road test, given that it was indeed designed to be that. Other countries are allowed to field youthful "development" squads when it suits them, so why not. Even though many of their squad players are inexperienced internationally, they are not fringe players with their clubs. Unlike the members of many other national teams, these German players are pretty much all regular players at a good level in a strong league.

Mexico lost by having a comically disorganized defence. Based on the first 10 minutes I thought it was going to be another 7-1, but luckily for Mexico they don't have David Luiz.

Argentina won 3 Copas in 3 years in the 1940s.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jun 29 17 10:07 PM

I'm confused by the lack of use of the VAR in the two semi-finals. It's almost as if there had been some directive to deliberately avoid using it. Two fairly clear penalties (or at least VAR-worthy potential penalties) and no action whatsoever.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jun 30 17 9:08 AM

nfm24 wrote:
We can't expect the Germans not to use the event as a bit of a road test, given that it was indeed designed to be that. Other countries are allowed to field youthful "development" squads when it suits them, so why not. Even though many of their squad players are inexperienced internationally, they are not fringe players with their clubs. Unlike the members of many other national teams, these German players are pretty much all regular players at a good level in a strong league.
I've not got a problem with them using fringe players, they have the right to pick whoever they want, it's more the whole attitude of the German FA (and related names such as Rummenigge) seemingly undermining the tournament at every available opportunity.

The fact that they won't take a full allocation of players when they easily have the means to is a proverbial middle finger to the tournament they're playing in (we care about this so little we're not going to bother bringing a full squad), their own 'fringe fringe' players (we'd rather leave the slots empty than take you as backup), and their chances of winning (IIRC there was a match at Euro 2008 where due to suspensions/injuries Turkey had only a couple over 11 players left to choose from, if something like that happened to this German team it would have taken 2 less incidents to get there), although that last part has unfortunately been proven wrong by whatever they have in the water that makes them go deep into tournaments regardless (visiting Munich for a few days in a month's time, if I come back with a driven winner's mentality you'll know what happened).

The only passable excuse they have for not calling up replacements is that whole 'maintain squad chemistry' angle, but by their own admission it's a development squad that's unlikely to be the core of any future side, so I'm failing to see many positives from their decision (aside from possibly giving Sane and Demme the easiest medals of their careers, as FIFA still list them as squad members but 'absent').

Back on Rummenigge, matter of fact I'll take my previous comparison to Farage a step further and suggest that this has the makings of a German football version of Brexit* (Confexit?). The establishment of a country are pointing out faults (fabricated or otherwise) in a harmless but generally positive external international thing they're part of in an attempt to distract from their own controversies (2006 World Cup bidding) while making little attempt to help improve said external thing from the inside, in the meantime actively undermining it with the help of a semi-related mascot claiming to speak for the masses but is really in it for their own gain and not even pretending to hide it that much.

* = Feels like I've been here before...

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jul 1 17 11:58 PM

Never said anything against the players, they've been great, but if you're talking about the FA/media/supporters of Germany then yes it will be interesting to see, maybe taking the mood flip of a big English club who thinks the League Cup is beneath them until they win it...

But even with the players the Chileans were clearly more animated than the Germans in terms of celebrating getting through to the Final, but that can probably be excused as cultural differences...

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 2 17 7:59 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Not taking anything away from the German squad as they can already call it a fantastic achievement, but I hope Chile smash them in the Final (metaphorically, of course). I fear the CC loses some of its credibility if Germany can treat the tournament like they have and not only come away with a medal, but a gold one... smiley: eyes
Bugger.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help