Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Oct 26 15 9:36 PM

In case anyone was living under a rock the last week, we are now 5 days into the future, and today is the 30th anniversary of the first time-travel smiley: wink (and to keep it forum-specific, the 152nd anniversary of The FA as well)...

date-back-to-the_future.jpg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#82 [url]

Oct 28 15 1:15 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
today is the 30th anniversary of the first time-travel

Surely there is no such anniversary, given that time travel necessarily involves two different points in time?   A proper anniversary would be if someone made a commemorative jump between the same two points in time + 30 years at each end.  Or something.   Why do you have to bring these things up!

I found it odd that people were saying "hey, how come we don't all have hoverboards yet?"
As if everybody had a DeLorean in 1985.

Quote    Reply   

#83 [url]

Nov 1 15 4:27 PM

nfm24 wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:
today is the 30th anniversary of the first time-travel 

Surely there is no such anniversary, given that time travel necessarily involves two different points in time?   A proper anniversary would be if someone made a commemorative jump between the same two points in time + 30 years at each end.  Or something.
Don't think I didn't think of that smiley: laugh, I think it gets a pass for being a jump of only 1 minute:

CI6JP0TWIAAQgrc.jpg

As for the hoverboards question, they released a 10-minute short a couple of weeks ago called 'Doc Brown Saves The World' that pushes the timeline in the movie into our one, writing out the invention of hoverboards, food hydrators, fusion energy etc.. Main observation from that short though was that Christopher Lloyd+30yrs does not match up to what experimental 80's make-up artists were predicting...

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Nov 5 15 5:52 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Presumably Michael J. Fox also.
Surprisingly not, he doesn't look all that aged despite the Parkinson's, although 80's makeup did seem to over-estimate what 30 years can do to a face:

http://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/1029518/original/?width=500&version=1029518

Quote    Reply   

#86 [url]

Nov 5 15 8:45 PM

That's what I meant. They underestimated the babyfaced D(eL)orian Gray.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#87 [url]

Nov 27 15 9:00 AM

Happy 30th anniversary to one of my favourite movies: Rocky IV, a terrific picture on the Cold War. And in fact yesterday evening the Italian TV channel Raidue broadcast it.

Quote    Reply   

#89 [url]

May 13 16 12:31 PM

"Ola Bola" movie dramatisation of Malaysia's campaign to qualify for the 1980 Olympics. It is quasi-fictional in the sense that the prominent players are renamed and some the events vary (e.g. the final score of the last game)

Quote    Reply   

#90 [url]

Jul 3 16 2:21 PM

A few weeks ago it was the 30th anniversary of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

A decent enough 4-star film and a nice product of its time, I get that there are underlying themes and theories about it but can you imagine trying to sell the basic concept to a major studio today? "So it's about this kid... he bunks of school for a day with his friends... no, that's about it."

Quote    Reply   

#91 [url]

Dec 2 16 7:03 PM

Last weekend I saw a good film about sport. "The Program" is the title, a biopic about the controversial Lance Armstrong's doping affairs. It's a movie in which Lance and, in general, cycling come off awfully once again. A very good soundtrack too.

Quote    Reply   

#92 [url]

Jul 11 17 6:43 PM

I mentioned it when the trailer came out, now this weekend I finally got to see Don't Take Me Home. In my completely unbiased biased opinion it was brilliant smiley: wink, although if it was about another team I still would have enjoyed it, very well-made documentary.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help