Remove this ad

Lead

May 29 17 1:08 PM

Tags : :

I seem to have a habit of proposing new tournaments and/or changed formats for existing ones, so it might be nice to try and keep them all in one place, and of course a place for anyone else to put their ideas, Partridge-esque or otherwise.

To start off, an idea I've been sitting on that's inspired by Euro 2016 expanding to a 16-team knockout phase, but taking that part as the starting point for a full tournament format. An annual tournament, 16 invited teams (from FIFA and non-FIFA) including host(s), straight knockout, losers in each round enter play-offs to decide every position 3rd-16th, run over about a week and a half. Named "La Seize" from where I got the idea from plus gratuitous foreign.

Then I took the idea a step further - once every 4 years, have the top-ranked nation from each FIFA continent which isn't otherwise engaged (would work best running in at the same window as the Confederations Cup), plus the host nation, defending champions, and a wildcard because I wasn't going to leave those out completely, then after that go down the list for the next-best available teams in the rankings to complete the line-up. The "Elite 16" Tournament, if you will.

For example's sake, a theoretical line-up for this summer's tournament (hosted by Spain, they seem to have gone a while without anything), would be (based on December '16 Rankings):
  • Spain (host)
  • Argentina, Belgium, Costa Rica, Iran, Senegal, Tahiti (highest-ranked teams on each continent (not in Confederations Cup))
  • Swaziland (wildcard invitee)
  • Brazil, Colombia, France, Uruguay, Switzerland, Wales, England, Croatia (next highest-ranked teams (not in Confederations Cup))

As always, if there's some eccentric m/billionaire hanging around who wants to go in on any of this (including inner-city sumo, apparently it would be cheap to make), please don't be shy.

Last Edited By: nfm24 May 30 17 8:00 AM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

May 29 17 4:48 PM

I think a Nations League format for each continent is a good idea, as is happening with UEFA (and CONCACAF), played on friendly match dates. Americas could combine, as well as Asia/Oceania.

A World League would also be possible, with global leagues for the Top 2 or 3 divisions, and continental leagues further down.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 29 17 5:13 PM

FIFA Challenge Cup for 16 lowest teams in FIFA Rankings every two year would to good option.

It would be great to see San Marino or Gibraltar playing against lowest ranked teams from Asia, Africa, Oceania or Caribbean.

San Marino - Sao Tome
Gibraltar - Dijbouti
Andorra - Bhutan
Cook Islands - Turks & Caicos
etc.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 30 17 9:14 AM

I agree with Mark, a league structure of some kind is overdue.  FIFA and the confederations have been very slow in doing anything about turning "prestige" friendlies into something more competitive (at least in a nominal organizational format) and more marketable, which is odd becuase it is surely in their financial interests to do so.

Regarding new tournaments, a new "official" tournament which involves only cherry-picked teams will not necessarily be popular with the majority of member FAs unless they all receive a contribution from the proceeds.  Although the executive committee can come up with random crap at any moment, of course.  

But the real issue with any new tournament is simply the finances.  It would need to guarantee good crowd attendance and TV viewing figures, without diluting the calendar and also avoiding a clash with other major sporting events, particularly football.  

Matt's idea is a sort of second tier Confederations Cup, with some big names (and Wales) thrown in to make up the numbers.  Equivalently it can be considered as just the "Top-16 Playoffs" of the rankings with a proviso that at least one team from each confederation must be involved (this at least means that the rankings themselves are used as a sort of qualifying stage, so in theory it is open to all members rather than pure cherry-picking).

But given that the Confederations Cup is supposed to be for the "best" team from each region, the new idea seems a redundant extra version of it.   Why not just add your next best 8 teams into the existing Confed Cup, and strengthen that instead of making a sideshow?

Another variant would be to have more than one team from each confederation, a sort of Champions League for national teams.  Say 16 teams drawn from the top of the rankings with unspecified confederation partition of 4+3+3+2+2+1(+1 host)=16.  This is basically a smaller extra World Cup.

We will call it the Sir Piet Veroeveren World Rankings Cup smiley: smile

For example, using current FIFA rankings (for a laugh), here are the top 4 ranking positions for each confederation, and in bold the qualified 16 positions:

CONMEBOL : 1 2 4 5         (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia)
UEFA : 3 6 7 8   (Germany, France, Belgium)
CONCACAF : 16 20 23 57 (Mexico, Costa Rica, USA)
CAF : 19 30 33 35 (Egypt, Senegal)
AFC : 28 43 44 50 (Iran, South Korea)
OFC : 112 153 156 165 (New Zealand)
Host : presumably Luxembourg

Obviously the allocations can be tweaked, and indeed there could be byes for all the continental champions so that aspect of the present Confederations Cup could be retained instead of using just the rankings.
In the example above the differences would be that Portugal qualify instead of Belgium, Cameroon instead of Senegal, and Australia instead of South Korea.

> FIFA Challenge Cup for 16 lowest teams

Most of us international football nerds would love this, but we are not the main market.  Again this is not financially sensible.  
Crowds and TV interest will be absolute zero (see AFC Solidarity Cup).  It can only be done if it is agreed a priori to run at a financial loss.  

But, a similar concept could be a lower division of the international league such as Mark mentioned.  In this case the league as a whole could be financially viable, with the top level profits spread to cover the costs of the lower levels.  

The danger with a multi-level league like that would be that strong/weak members are treated differently.  In FIFA, every member FA has the same "power" politically, in theory.  But not financially of course.  

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 30 17 10:56 AM

I am honored , finally having a cup blessed with my name.....I just hope that my own ranking system will be accepted to determine the teams...smiley: eyes

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

May 30 17 12:06 PM

nfm24 wrote:
In the example above the differences would be that Portugal qualify instead of Belgium
Yes Piet, you must immediately implement your own ranking to fix this problem smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 30 17 8:20 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Matt's idea is a sort of second tier Confederations Cup, with some big names (and Wales) thrown in to make up the numbers.  Equivalently it can be considered as just the "Top-16 Playoffs" of the rankings with a proviso that at least one team from each confederation must be involved (this at least means that the rankings themselves are used as a sort of qualifying stage, so in theory it is open to all members rather than pure cherry-picking).

But given that the Confederations Cup is supposed to be for the "best" team from each region, the new idea seems a redundant extra version of it.   Why not just add your next best 8 teams into the existing Confed Cup, and strengthen that instead of making a sideshow?
That's pretty much the idea. I like the Confederations Cup as is so wouldn't really want it to be 'stepped on' in any way, by pre-restricting CC qualifiers from the Elite 16 it would ring-fence them and give the appearance that theirs is more important in the grand scheme of things, which it is, they actually won tournaments while my Elite 16 line-up are being rewarded for consistent form, so it is a bit like a Champions League / Europa League dynamic. Would also be banking on FIFA being so touched by my generous decision to not interfere with their tournament that I'd get some nice Gianni karma and they'd return the favour... please?

nfm24 wrote:
Regarding new tournaments, a new "official" tournament which involves only cherry-picked teams will not necessarily be popular with the majority of member FAs unless they all receive a contribution from the proceeds.  Although the executive committee can come up with random crap at any moment, of course.  

But the real issue with any new tournament is simply the finances.  It would need to guarantee good crowd attendance and TV viewing figures, without diluting the calendar and also avoiding a clash with other major sporting events, particularly football.
Finances smiley: eyes... that's what the eccentric billionaire is for! For crowd attendance, that's another reason why I chose Spain as the hypothetical first hosts, they'll in theory get a naturally decent turn-out from all the European nations (in particular the British ones, holiday time and all that) and from the other Spanish-speaking countries (Colombia are heading to Spain this international break anyway, while it will suit Argentina what with Messi possibly unable to leave the country), while Brazil is Brazil, have them play Sealand in a friendly in Tallahassee and they'd probably get a sell-out.

As for TV, plenty of big-name teams in the tournament so guaranteed a lot of headline match-ups, while the straight knock-out puts meaning on each one. Ties into the 'what would the teams get from it' question, have prize money for each finishing position (or maybe per win/draw/loss), so there's a clear incentive to finish 13th rather than 15th. And for clashing, I looked at the Confederations Cup matches and again with giving them priority, there's so few matches that an Elite 16 could be organised around it while still giving each match in both tournaments its own 'timeslot'.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 11 17 8:58 PM

A little more on the realistic side, but after the Confederations Cup (or before, or just in general, can't remember which), I noticed that while CONCACAF have belatedly come up with a way to stop half of their Gold Cups being made fairly redundant regarding the Confederations Cup, CAF... still haven't, the only confederation left that aren't sending a fully decisive champion to the tournament.

So the solution is obvious, just create the "CAFCON Championship" (name pending) in pretty much the exact format of the CONCACAF Cup, play it in March before the CC or reshuffle so the first edition is in 2023 (so the match of 2021 vs 2023 to qualify for the 2025 Confederations Cup), whichever works best for them.

Exact same format except for the 'always host it in the USA' part, although I wouldn't put it past them, otherwise it gives the chance for smaller nations to get in on the hosting more since it's only one match

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help