Remove this ad

#226 [url]

May 24 17 9:00 AM

not so bizarre as every Arab country has some clubs named Al Ahly.....they should mention the city like in Europe.... (nobody will remark Sporting playing Sporting when Anderlechts meets Sporting Lisboa)

Quote    Reply   

#227 [url]

May 24 17 9:38 AM

True. There are also a lot of clubs named "Al-Nasr" and "Al-Ittihad". Also in South America there are so many famous clubs named "Nacional" (Montevideo, Medellín, Asunción).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#228 [url]

May 24 17 2:49 PM

pieter wrote:
not so bizarre as every Arab country has some clubs named Al Ahly.....they should mention the city like in Europe.... (nobody will remark Sporting playing Sporting when Anderlechts meets Sporting Lisboa)

They have distinguishable names - Al-Ahli Saudi vs Shabab Al-Ahli Dubai.

For many teams in Europe, the city name is not part of the club name (i.e. there is no Sporting Lisbon, or Glasgow Celtic).  And for many others, part of the club name is rarely used (Sporting Anderlecht, for example, Girondins de Bordeaux, Società Sportiva Napoli).

In the UK (and I'm sure in other European coutries), usually part of the name is dropped if there is a more famous team, and other teams from this city are in a much lower league.

For example, Bournemouth is used for AFC Bournemouth, even though there is already a team called Bournemouth (playing many divisions below).  Ipswich is used for Ipswich Town (though there is also Ipswich Wanderers), Brechin is used for Brechin City, despite the presence many division below of Brechin Victoria.

I think club names should really be streamlined.  Club name and optionally, city name, are all that are really needed, so 2-3 words should be the maximum necessary.  "FC" and "AFC" and "SS" and "US" should not really be part of the common names of clubs.

There are also some "honorifics" that have been added (Royal Antwerp, Real Madrid) that are not "really" part of the club name.  Some clubs (Deportiva de la Coruña, Celta de Vigo, for example) don't use them, even though they have been bestowed upon them, but others (Real Madrid most noticeably) are known simply as "Real".

Quote    Reply   

#229 [url]

May 24 17 4:46 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I think club names should really be streamlined.

Yes and let's apply this to countries also.  No country should be permitted to have a name longer than 19 characters unless there is a convenient and unique abbreviation or acronym.

Quote    Reply   

#230 [url]

May 25 17 11:10 AM

"SAINT VINCENT AND THE GRENADINES"

Besides, doesn't everyone already have their FIFA-issued 3-letter code (including the bizarre use of "KVX" for Kosovo when "KOS" has always been available)?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#231 [url]

May 25 17 8:50 PM

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines should be renamed to Savigren.

Democratic Republic of Congo should be renamed to Big Congo.

All use of the word "Republic" and all other political status labels such as "Kingdom", "State/s" should be banned in short-form country names.

Quote    Reply   

#240 [url]

Jul 14 17 11:08 AM

I remember sampling Kickapoo Joy Juice in Malaysia.

We also had yam and sweetcorn ice cream.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help