Remove this ad

Lead

Tags : :

It's under consideration for  expansion (24 teams), to be played in June, and possibly be held every four years.

Last Edited By: Blue Lou . Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

every 4 years would be good, june is Ok, but why 24 teams?  with 16 teams we see also smaller teams qualify, and big teams can be eliminated.....it makes football attractive ....

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

possible, it is all about money, but empty stadiums are common in Africa when the home team is not involved , CAF could use the extra money to make travelling cheaper for visiting fans....

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

The working group recommends:

It should still occur every two years
It should be expanded to 24 teams
It should take place in June/July in odd numbered years
Alternate versions should be combined with World Cup qualifying.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

More detailed version of the story here.

I'm not too fussed about it moving/expanding in general, the only things which concern me are whether the weather/expansion will now be used as an excuse to not give certain places hosting rights (as previously established, the consensus here regarding extreme weather seems to be 'as long as the right precautions are taken just get on with it'), and more importantly whether it was CAF's own decision to do this, the last thing a continental federation should be doing is bowing to another continent's club scene. The clubs know that this is part of the package of signing an international-quality African player and should be more accommodating/work around it rather than pressuring the player to miss out (as a couple of examples in the article showed).

Also not sure on combining qualifiers, kind of like each tournament to be standing on its own where possible.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Several media outlets are reporting the expansion was approved. Nothing official yet.

Same outlets are saying it's the 2019 edition that will be expanded. i.e. the one where qualification is already underway.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

It's now official.

As for the qualifiers, with 12 groups it should be straightforward enough to find their 23 teams, Cameroon ghosting one of the groups complicates things a little but I guess they're now looking for the best 11 runners-up (everyone except the worst) rather than the best 3. Not right that they shift the goalposts when it's already started even if it does benefit every team involved...

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Won't somebody please think of the agents? Said hopefully no-one in that meeting.

And I agree with Klopp that of course it's better for him and the club that those players will no longer have to be away, but hopefully he does recognise the bigger picture here. I stand by my previous stance that any club signing a top African player knows the old timing of the Cup of Nations is a factor that will affect any club those players go to and it's just part of the game, and that any club so dependent on less than a handful of players should look at their own poor preparation first.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

I wonder if they'll move it back for 2021 to avoid a clash with the Confederations Cup.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help