#61 [url]

Mar 5 12 10:45 AM

Yes of course (minor typo by Erik)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#64 [url]

Mar 5 12 5:34 PM

Yes, it started off talking about Asian Olympic qualifiers. But if someone asks a question about European Olympic qualifiers here, it's easier to answer here rather than start a new thread in the European section (where the asker of the question might not think of looking).

Quote    Reply   

#65 [url]

Mar 5 12 7:59 PM

I remember that three or four years ago, I found a good Austrian website that published all the line-ups fielded by Austria during the Olympic Qualifying round 1960. I can't remember the website, but I fear it is no longer online...

Quote    Reply   

#66 [url]

Mar 5 12 8:10 PM

Luca wrote:
I remember that three or four years ago, I found a good Austrian website that published all the line-ups fielded by Austria during the Olympic Qualifying round 1960. I can't remember the website, but I fear it is no longer online...

Maybe you mean the at http://web.archive.org/web/20061219131050/http://members.telering.at/gerhard.oehlinger/amat.htm ? However, it seems not all pages were archived.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#67 [url]

Mar 5 12 8:19 PM

Sensini wrote:
Luca wrote:

Maybe you mean the at http://web.archive.org/web/20061219131050/http://members.telering.at/gerhard.oehlinger/amat.htm ? However, it seems not all pages were archived.

Wow, great job! It's exactly the website I was talking about

Quote    Reply   

#68 [url]

Mar 26 12 1:16 PM

From The Indian Express:

14.04.1960. Calcutta. India - Indonesia - 4:2 (2:1). Crowd: 16,000.
Referee: Reuven Prizner (Israel). Linesmen: P. A. Shome (India), P. Chakravarty (India).
Scorers: Simon Sunder Raj 10' 63', Kannan 21', Balaram 73' / Omo Suratmo 9', Henkie Timisela 84'.
India: Narayan; Chandrashekhar, Jarnail Singh, Latiff [c]; Kempiah, Yusuf Khan; P.K.Banerjee, Chuni Goswamy, Kannan, Balaram, Simon Sunder Raj.
Indonesia: Paidjo; Sampara, Kwee Kiat Sek, Tho Him Tjiang; Fattah Hidajat, Tan Liong Houw; R.A.Witarsa [c], Henkie Timisela, Soewardi Arland, Odo Suratmo, Ade Dana.

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

Apr 20 15 7:30 PM

nfm24 wrote:
The Times: 1-0 McCarthy (early), 2-0 McGrath (+ 10 mins), 3-0 Hale (first half), 3-1 Hainje (first half), 4-1 McGrath (just before HT), 5-1 van Ierland OG, 5-2 Bouwman , 5-3 Slijkhuis, 6-3 Hale 81'

Nieuw Suriname: 1-0 McCarthy 5', 2-0 McGrath (+ few mins), 3-0 Hale 20', 3-1 Hainje (+1'), 4-1 McGrath (just before HT), 5-1 van Ierland OG (2nd half), 5-2 Bouwman (2nd half), 5-3 Slijkhuis (2nd half), 6-3 Hale 81'

N.v.h.Noorden: FIRST HALF: McCarthy 9', McGrath 14', Hales 32', McGrath 45', Hainje ??' / SECOND HALF: van Ierland OG ??', 6-1 Hales (15' of 2nd), Bouwman (33' of 2nd), Slijkhuis (16' of 2nd)

N.v.h.Noorden is most probably wrong about either the minutes or the names associated with them, for the 2nd half.

So the best guess overall, I think, is:
McCarthy 5', McGrath 14' 45', Hale 20', van Ierland OG ??' (2nd half, 5-1), Hale 81' / Hainje 21', Bouwman (2nd half, 5-2), Slijkhuis (2nd half, 5-3)

From Irish newspapers (some goals subject to minor variations of 1 or 2 minutes):
Frank McCarthy 5', Mick McGrath 14' 45', Alfie Hale 20' 81', Frits van Ierland 56' OG / Bart Hainje 21', Paul Bouwman 58', Theo Slijkhuis 70'

Quote    Reply   

#70 [url]

Apr 24 16 7:12 PM

Just a note on Tanganyika's entry. From the "Tanganyika Standard" (15 Feb 1959):
Tanganyika has entered the Olympic soccer tournament in Rome next year, according to a Reuter report received yesterday. But officials in Dar es Salaam expressed surprise at the announcement, for it was only last week that they had taken the essential preliminary step of applying for affiliation to the FIFA. Whether a team is, in fact, sent depends on a number of factors - not the least of which is the standard of play, and the forthcoming Gossage Cup series will be a good pointer there. After that, the question of financing the trip will have to be considered. And, even if all goes well, there will be one further hurdle - the preliminary rounds. Only 16 teams will go to Rome, and with the entry yesterday of the Soviet Union, Holland and Tanganyika, the total number of entries, with a week to go before the closing date, is 19.

So it sounds like Tanganyika did not actually intend to enter the 1960 Olympics, but FIFA put an entry on their behalf. Possibly this was a mistake by FIFA?

Note also that the FA of Tanganyika did not become a FIFA member until May 1963 (provisional membership), although it was affiliated to the English FA so in some sense was indirectly under FIFA's umbrella.

Quote    Reply   

#71 [url]

Apr 24 16 9:57 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Just a note on Tanganyika's entry. From the "Tanganyika Standard" (15 Feb 1959):
Tanganyika has entered the Olympic soccer tournament in Rome next year, according to a Reuter report received yesterday. But officials in Dar es Salaam expressed surprise at the announcement, for it was only last week that they had taken the essential preliminary step of applying for affiliation to the FIFA. Whether a team is, in fact, sent depends on a number of factors - not the least of which is the standard of play, and the forthcoming Gossage Cup series will be a good pointer there. After that, the question of financing the trip will have to be considered. And, even if all goes well, there will be one further hurdle - the preliminary rounds. Only 16 teams will go to Rome, and with the entry yesterday of the Soviet Union, Holland and Tanganyika, the total number of entries, with a week to go before the closing date, is 19.

So it sounds like Tanganyika did not actually intend to enter the 1960 Olympics, but FIFA put an entry on their behalf. Possibly this was a mistake by FIFA?

Note also that the FA of Tanganyika did not become a FIFA member until May 1963 (provisional membership), although it was affiliated to the English FA so in some sense was indirectly under FIFA's umbrella.
Note that in the end Tanganyika did not play any qualifying game.

BTW, how dare you to insinuate FIFA makes mistakes! ;-)

Quote    Reply   

#72 [url]

Apr 24 16 11:22 PM

A subsequent edition of the newspaper suggested that it was "either a mistake or a joke" by FIFA, as the Tanganyika FA knew nothing about any Olympic entry.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help