Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 31 09 9:48 AM

Tags : :

there have been many beautiful matches, but don't ask me what's the most beatiful one. This is a matter of taste and one cannot argue about taste. Besides I don't think one cannot speak about most beuatiful matches, but one of the most beautiful matches. Following my favourites in chronological order:

08-07-1982 Germany 3-3 France. A very thrilling World Cup semi final. Germany seemed to be knock out after being 1-3 down at extra time, but Germans...... Well they came back level and won on penalties.

07-07-1998 Netherlands 1-1 Brazil. Hardly seen such a balanced match. I really can't say which side was he better one. Would Holland have won the match in the 91th minute if Pierre van Hooijdonk was awarded a penalty after he was pulled on his shirt? You know the story of Dutch and penalties

13-06-2008 Netherlands 4-1 France. Even as a Dutch I have to admit the French were better and more threatening side, they created more chances but failed some luck. Nevertheless the Dutch owed three goals (2-0, 3-1 and 4-1) as a result of extremely individual class. Even five minutes after Netherlands made it 3-1 as a Dutch I still feared France could win the match.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 1 09 10:13 AM

Nice Topic....Because football it's all about emotions

OK.......My favourite games( and they're a lot)

1996: Tunisia/Zambia 4/2 ( African Cup 1996, Semi Final)
1997: Tunisia/Egypt 1/0 (WCQ 199
2002: Tunisia/France 1/1 ( Friendly)
2004: Tunisia/Nigeria 1/1 ( African cup 2004)
Tunisia/Morocco 2/1 ( African Cup Final)
2006 Tunisia/Morrocco 2/2 (WCQ 2006)
2008 Tunisia/Cameroon 2/3 After extra time (African Cup Quarter Final)

In the world
2000: France/Italy 2/1 after golden goal
2005: AC Milan/Liverpool FC 3/3 ( Final Champions League)
2008: Roma AC/Napoli FC 4/4
Chelsea FC/ Aston Villa 4/4
Etoile Sportive Du Sahel/Pachuca 1/0 (World Cup for clubs)

that's all for now....

"....And the smarter ones beetween us, are those who find out about their social stupidity earlier...." Abd daim !!!!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 1 09 12:02 PM

Ali wrote:
Because football it's all about emotions

Again you hit the nail on its head But not only in football, in all sports it's about emotions and that makes it so beautiful But I also can appreciate some matches in other sports. Dutch victory over Italy in the 1996 Olympic Gold medal match volleyball (men) taste very sweet, as Netherlands lost all its decisive matches against the Italian, who really were extraordinary good these days. But the most important match off all was won by the Dutch
In 2008 I was very pleased the Dutch waterpoloteam (women) won gold very surprisingly Netherlands beat USA 9-8 thanks to seven (!) goals of Danielle de Bruijn, who is from my home town. At the time the final was played I was on holiday and I remember some US tourists told me that Team USA should beat the... (well you know) becuase they never heard before of Netherlands/Holland

Besides every sportsmen has its fine moments, no matter on which level he appeared. How do you think I felt at my come back after 20 months of injury for a 60 meters indoor run and I improved my personal best by 0,3 seconds on that occasion?
Indeed each medal has its other side, but that's a part of the game we have to accept as well. And if you can the taste of the finest moments will be even more sweet.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 1 09 12:49 PM

Stanza13 wrote:
Italy - Netherlands 0-0 Euro 2000

and when I heard Mattia Bazar's "Ti Sento" on the radio the next day it became clear why Italy progressed and not Netherlands. We all should admire how 10 men Italy did not collaps under such a Dutch pression. But I am one of the few Dutch who still does not blame Netherland's defeat on penalties. Up to that day penalies were someting traumatic for Italians as well.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 1 09 2:02 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
Stanza13 wrote:
Italy - Netherlands 0-0 Euro 2000

and when I heard Mattia Bazar's "Ti Sento" on the radio the next day it became clear why Italy progressed and not Netherlands. We all should admire how 10 men Italy did not collaps under such a Dutch pression. But I am one of the few Dutch who still does not blame Netherland's defeat on penalties. Up to that day penalies were someting traumatic for Italians as well.

Yes, that's true, Netherland was great team and in that match played very good, probably was the strongest team in that tournament. I like very much that match for the resistence of Italy, many surprises, and many penalties shield by Francesco Toldo: 5! 3 shield from Frank De Boer, two of them shield during the match! Was incredible, Toldo was the Buffon substitute, who was injured.

However yes, penalty kick are very traumatic for Italy...! The golden goal too, see the final of the same tournament against France... ...Italy reedem with France in the 2006 World Cup final...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 1 09 2:25 PM

Italy went out from tournaments due to penalty kicks and golden goal:

-1980 European Championship third place final against Czechoslovakia
-1990 World Cup semifinal against Argentina
-1994 World Cup final (!!!) against Brazil
-1998 World Cup quarterfinals against France
-2000 European Championship final against France (Golden Goal)
-2008 European Championship quarterfinal against Spain

Went on thanks to penalty kicks:

-2000 European Championship semifinals against Netherlands
-2006 World Cup final against France

So, as you can see...really traumatic!!! 6 times against and 2 in favour!!!

However Silver Goal and Golden Goal were silly rules, I'm glad tha FIFA removed them.

Moreover, I can agree to penalty kicks as a rule for a tournament knock out matches, but I do not agree to have penalty kicks for the final of a tournament, it will be much better to repeat the match.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 4 09 8:43 PM

Ali wrote:

2005: AC Milan/Liverpool FC 3/3 ( Final Champions League)
2008: Roma AC/Napoli FC 4/4
Chelsea FC/ Aston Villa 4/4

I see you also like matches with many goals on both sides. On 04-09-1999 an extraordinary match was played in Rotterdam: Netherlands 5-5 Belgium . As the Dutch took a 3-2 lead just before halftime, they were 0-2 down eight minutes before, it seemed Belgian team was going to collaps. But just a few minutes after the break Belgium took a 3-4 lead. This match was the 4th in which both Netherlands and its opponents scored at least five goals.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 9 09 6:05 PM

The most craziest match I´ve ever seen was Getafe vs. Bayern Munich in 10.4.2008.
It was the return leg of the UEFA Cup quarterfinals. The first leg in Munich ended surrisingly 1-1 and Bayern was favourite in this retun match.

After 6 minutes the referee sent off Getafe player Ruben de la Red after a foul with red card, which was way too hard. So Getafe had to play at least 84 minutes with ten men. Bayern was the better team, but not really consequent scoring a goal, and the spanish fought . After a counterattack Getafe scored 1-0 by the Romanian Cosmin Contra. Half-time: 1-0.

In the second half Bayern dominated the match, but Getafe had a well-organised defence and remain dangerous with three good chances to score 2-0. In the 89th minute Bayern star Franck Ribery could eventually equalize. After 90 minutes 1-1 and Getafe had to play further 30 minutes with 10 man against the German giants. Shortly after Kick off in the Extra time Getafe could score the 2-1 by Casquero and Bayern was so surprised that Braulio from Getafe raised up to 3-1 !!!

Bayern didn't give up and continued attacking. In the 115th minute Luca Toni scored the second goal for Bayern after a disastrous error from Getafe goalie Abbondanzieri.
In the last scene of the match Bayern goalie Oliver Kahn ran to the penalty area of Getafe, where he pushed a Getafe player but the ref didn´t blow, so that a Bayern player could cross the ball in the penalty area, where Luca Toni headed the 3-3!!!
Oliver Kahn was so overjoyed, that he had tears in his eyes and he pushed Mark van Bommel on his face, when celebrating.

I'm not Bayern fan (In fact I hate them), but this was the most spectacular game I watched and I couln't believe that Getafe didn't gain the sensation. The performance of Getafe let me become a fan of them.

Here a short summary of the match apart the 89th minute when Bayern equalize:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lvr78ps4Fs&feature=related

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 13 12 6:09 PM

Today's match Manchester City-Queens Park Rangers 3-2!!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#13 [url]

May 14 12 10:25 AM

Do you mean QPR collapsed in injury time, because they knew already they were safe from relegation (as the Stoke vs Bolton game finished already?)... personally I don't think so. Anyway it is not against any rules (assuming QPR did not deliberately lose but only reduced their efforts).

Or do you mean the whole sequence was organised by the Premier League itself in order to increase the drama and therefore increase bargaining power for TV money etc in future?

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 15 12 9:14 AM

nfm24 wrote:
Do you mean QPR collapsed in injury time, because they knew already they were safe from relegation (as the Stoke vs Bolton game finished already?)... personally I don't think so. Anyway it is not against any rules.

I don't mean it was a fixed match, but QPR just stopped playing after they heard they were safe. If I had been a Manchester United fan, I wouldn't have been the happiest supporter on Earth...

However, these situations happen in every championship. I remember the season 2009/10: Inter and Roma were fighting for the title. Towards the end of the season, Inter faced Lazio (the very fierce rivals of Roma). What did it happen? Lazio didn't play... their best match ever and Inter easily won. I still remember that pandemonium.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 15 12 11:05 AM

Luca wrote:
I don't mean it was a fixed match, but QPR just stopped playing after they heard they were safe. If I had been a Manchester United fan, I wouldn't have been the happiest supporter on Earth...

True, though Manchester United themselves stopped playing when they were 4-2 up vs Everton. It's natural that effort levels and behaviour will change depending on the circumstances. E.g. wasting time in the last minutes of a match.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 19 12 8:18 PM

A couple of months ago, the channel ESPN Classic telecasted Czechoslovakia-West Germany, the final of Euro '76. Well, it was a wonderful match, with hundreds of goal opportunities. The final score could have been 29-28!!
The Czechoslovak goalkeeper, Ivo Viktor, was an authentic hero and finally there was the famous "cucchiaio" of Antonín Panenka.
Indeed a spectacular game, one of the best I remember.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 25 13 8:59 PM

Today, November 25, 2013, is the 60th anniversary of one of the most famous and spectacular matches ever played: England-Hungary 3-6.
One of the most brilliant and competent Italian journalists ever, Gianni Brera, was present at Wembley that day. According to what he said in his book Il Calcio Azzurro Ai Mondiali, that result represented the begin of the end of the WM system. Thanks to their innovative MM tactic, and thanks to the intelligent work of Nándor Hidegkuti as a withdrawn centreforward, the Hungarians ridiculed the English defence. Gianni Brera was almost sure that England would have limited the damages, if just coach Walter Winterbottom had adopted a sweeper behind the three defenders. But, according to Brera, Sir Winterbottom wasn't a "genius" from a tactical point of view...

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Nov 26 13 8:44 AM

25 November also the day of the only full international match was played in which both teams scored at least six goals. 25-11-1951 Netherlands 6-7 Belgium

On the very same day a star of Dutch NT was born: Johnny Rep.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 10 14 9:32 AM

Today, June 10, 2014, is the 80th anniversary of one of the most important and dramatic matches ever played. On June 10, 1934, Italy beat Czechoslovakia and conquered the first World Cup of our history.
Angelo Schiavio, the author of the decisive 2-1, once said that, after the goal, he was so moved and exhausted that he fainted.

Nazionale_di_calcio_dell%27Italia_-_Mond

Thank you, guys  sHa_clap2.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help