Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#61 [url]

Dec 3 13 11:35 AM

With a bit of online jiggery-pokery, I was able to establish that Ryan Stepp is 33 years old at the moment, so he was born sometime after 11 August 1980 and before 3 December 1980 (if indeed Ryan Stepp was 15 at the time of his goal v Taiwan).
This gives a range of 15y 250d-15y 365d (1996 was a leap year)

Given the information above, Allan Cole is the youngest player.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Dec 3 13 12:48 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
With a bit of online jiggery-pokery, I was able to establish that Ryan Stepp is 33 years old at the moment, so he was born sometime after 11 August 1980 and before 3 December 1980 (if indeed Ryan Stepp was 15 at the time of his goal v Taiwan).
This gives a range of 15y 250d-15y 365d (1996 was a leap year)
Given the information above, Allan Cole is the youngest player.

I haven't been able to confirm whether Ryan Stepp did indeed play (or score) vs Taiwan though.   But I haven't tried very hard.  The only place it's written is on Wikipedia in a rather untidy sentence.  I only have one lineup for Guam in that tournament, vs South Korea, and neither of the two goal-scorers (vs Taiwan) are included in that lineup, unless the names given are incomplete.
Maybe Guam has had more young players/scorers in addition to those mentioned above.

Likewise I haven't been able to confirm for sure whether Allan Cole did actually play in 1966 in Puerto Rico.  He was certainly in the squad, and reports afterwards mentioned that the team sustained many injuries and had to take to the field with some injured players.  So surely he would have played.
He might even have scored, in the 4-0 win vs Puerto Rico, but I don't have the scorers for that game.  He was also in the squad for CONCACAF 1967 but he didn't score.

I suspect there would be other candidates from teams in the Leeward, Windward, or South Pacific Games, but info simply isn't available.

The first goal I can find for Fofana was on 28-Sep-1983 vs Togo, at which time he was 17y 64d.  But there are many unknown goals between his debut and that game.

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Dec 3 13 3:13 PM

More possible cases from the Dick Kerr's team: (debut not necessarily an international match, awaiting confirmation)
Youngest:
Sheila Parker 10 June 1961 aged 13
Joan Burke 1939 aged 14
Edna Broughton Aug 1946 aged 15
Oldest:
Margaret Thornborough [Age unclear, approx 42?] last goal 22 Jul 1950 3-1 vs France

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Dec 3 13 5:13 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Likewise I haven't been able to confirm for sure whether Allan Cole did actually play in 1966 in Puerto Rico.  He was certainly in the squad, and reports afterwards mentioned that the team sustained many injuries and had to take to the field with some injured players.  So surely he would have played.
He might even have scored, in the 4-0 win vs Puerto Rico, but I don't have the scorers for that game.  He was also in the squad for CONCACAF 1967 but he didn't score.

According to a report on El Informador, there was a Cole on Jamaica's starting lineup for their first match against Mexico on June 13.

I hope I've incorporated all recent contributions; Dick, Kerr's still deserves some more digging-up.

Quote    Reply   

#65 [url]

Dec 3 13 7:33 PM

Sheila Parker, no international goals while with Dick Kerr. Unclear if any international games, have asked for confirmation.
Joan Burke died in 2007 aged 82. Therefore she was born in 1924 or 1925, and would have been 13, 14, or 15 in August 1939 when she scored vs Belgium. First game unclear.
Margaret Thornborough died in 1994 aged 84. Therefore she was born in 1909 or 1910, and would have been 39, 40 or 41 when scoring her last goal on 22-Jul-1950. Last game unclear.
Edna Broughton didn't score an international goal in 1946, but scored vs French in June 1947. First international game unclear.

Quote    Reply   

#66 [url]

Dec 3 13 8:27 PM

Guerin Sportivo number 16 from 1984 dedicates an interesting reportage about the 1984 Africa Nations Cup, where Youssouf Fofana is indicated among the "stars" of the competition. They only say that he was born on July 26, 1966 and he joined ASEC when he was 7, débuting in the senior team aged 13.
In February 1982, he played his first match for Ivory Coast. He could play both as a winger and as a central midfielder, he was a very skillful player, but his only flaw was the fact that he overemphasized his dribblings. A sort of Ariel Ortega in African version...

Quote    Reply   

#67 [url]

Dec 3 13 9:22 PM

I've edited Kaizeler's post above to fix some typos: Zachary Pangelinan from Guam (not Mongolia), Lily Parr's last game/goal vs Scotland (not France).
Also incorporated the unofficial cases mentioned since.

Quote    Reply   

#68 [url]

Dec 8 13 10:05 AM

The same article I cited above, talking about the 1984 African Nations Cup, adds a quite curious detail. Please note: I can't guarantee its accuracy, anyway they say: "Also Togo shows an interesting guy: Moutairou Rafiou. He's 22 years old and has already made almost 50 appearances with his National team". This would mean he could have débuted when he was very young, perhaps aged 16 or 17...

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

Dec 8 13 4:46 PM

Hmm. It's questionable whether Togo played 50 games in the previous 5 years before that article, but the total could also include unofficial and youth games of course. I suppose if he played aged 15 or so the article might have mentioned it directly, as with Fofana. Anyway, it's one more case for the possibles. I'm sure there was another one in Africa I encountered before but I can't quite remember who it was.

Cases in Africa are not always rigourous, even when the debut can be verified... for example:
'Gabadinho' Mhango (Malawi), official date of birth 27-Sep-1996. Debut : 6-Jul-2012 (1-0 vs Zambia) aged 15y 282d.
However in reality he was born in 1992.

Genuine cases may have occurred in other small islands. Perhaps Sensini can find one from Bonaire ?

Quote    Reply   

#70 [url]

Dec 9 13 7:57 PM

IFFHS was running a formidable work about the oldest and the youngest players. Sin that they have stopped it: it would have been very interesting to know the African statistics. Although I recognize it would have been a terribly difficult research...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

Dec 9 13 11:55 PM

Well yes, up to 1910 (or 1920) is rather unambitious.
Even in the 1920s and 1930s there are probably some cases of which we are unaware. E.g. maybe it's possible that some of the Gossage Cup teams included schoolboys.

Quote    Reply   

#72 [url]

Dec 12 13 12:45 PM

IFFHS website is not going to be updated anymore, given that their founder and main organizer died this March.

It's worth scraping everything of note from that site before the domain inevitably expires and another piece of footballing knowledge is lost for ever. Pity that the page names are rather nondescriptive...

Quote    Reply   

#74 [url]

Jan 14 14 9:23 PM

I've updated the above lists, adding Fung King-Cheung who played for the Republic of China Olympic team in 1948 (and 1936) and also for the Hong Kong team in Interport matches.

Born 19-12-1907.
Last known goal : 28-3-1948 Saigon, All-Saigon 1-2 All-Hong Kong [this was basically an international match]
Last known games: 2-1-49 HK, Combined Chinese (similar to ROC team) 3-2 South Korea : this is an official international for SK and Taiwan.
29-1-49 HK, All-Hong Kong 3-1 All-Saigon
Fung didn't score in those two games. Although I'm not 100% sure whether he played later in 1949. He was not in the 1949 Interport vs Macao. I'm pretty confident he didn't play in 1950, so he wouldn't make the oldest player list.

There may have been other players from Hong Kong who played/scored around the age of 40.

Quote    Reply   

#75 [url]

Jan 15 14 12:31 AM

Luca wrote:
I have just discovered a curious issue. According to the excellent website Sports-reference.com, Abdel-Karim Ezzat Saqr, from Egypt, was only 15 years, 112 days when he played against Austria at the Olympic Games 1936.
On the other hand, FIFA adfirms he was born in 1918 (rather than in 1921), so his age is not sure. It would be curious to know what the arabic sources adfirm about the "real" date of birth of Abdel-Karim Ezzat Saqr.

I have asked an expert on Egyptian football to try to confirm the correct situation.  One website even says 1922, which would make him 14 years old.  Note that he also scored in the match vs Austria, and played in the 1948 games too.

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

Jan 23 14 3:58 PM

The list is now published on RSSSF.

The latest on Saqr is that the "better" sources indicate he was indeed 15. Though he did score in the Egyptian league even the previous season (apparently aged 14 then). Perhaps his official registered birthdate was not his real birthdate.

Quote    Reply   

#77 [url]

Jan 29 14 4:04 PM

In at number eight for the oldest goalscorer list: Morten Olsen scored on his final match for Denmark, aged 39y 308d.

Not cross-checked:
Jonas Okétola (Benin): played against Angola aged 14y 341d?, scored against Senegal aged 16y 226d?
Mamadou Zongo (Burkina Faso): scored against Kenya aged 16y 180d?
Shiva N'Zigou (Gabon): played against Angola aged 15y 225d?

Last Edited By: Kaizeler Jan 30 14 4:35 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#79 [url]

Jan 29 14 11:03 PM

I'm checking them both, youngest and oldest. I haven't gone through all of them (done Europe and running Africa alphabetically; stopped at the Ivory Coast for now) and am trying to list only those entries that I cannot outright reject (either because I find the DOB on 11v11 is wrong, or the player did not take part in the matches they say he did).

Quote    Reply   

#80 [url]

Jan 30 14 12:48 PM

Kaizeler wrote:
Shiva N'Zigou (Gabon): played against Angola aged 15y 225d?

I checked L'Union newspaper of Gabon, it states clearly that this was indeed Nzigou's first game (there is even a picture of him in the game), but it does not mention exactly his age, just that he is a "cadet".  So (assuming his date of birth is true...) he will be in the youngest player list at #10.   But then some of the other cases you mentioned might go ahead of him anyhow.  Though I think we should certainly keep track of the places 11-15 at least, in case the birth dates are disputed.

Last Edited By: nfm24 Jan 30 14 2:41 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help