Whereas, if we consider the population, one of the best performing territories is surely the Province of Alessandria, in northern Italy.
It has a population of only 414,000 inhabitants distributed in just 3,560 km2, nevertheless look how many champions it produced:
• Gianni Rivera, European champion in 1968 and Golden Ball in 1969;
• Pietro Rava, Olympic champion in 1936 and World champion in 1938;
• Eraldo Monzeglio, World champion in 1934 and 1938;
• Umberto Caligaris, World champion in 1934 (without playing);
• Giovanni Ferrari, World champion in 1934 and 1938;
• Carlo Tagnin, winner of two European Cups with Inter (he annulled Alfredo Di Stéfano in the 1964 European Cup final);
• Elvio Banchero, Bronze medal in the 1928 Olympic Games;
• Adolfo Baloncieri, Bronze medal in the 1928 Olympic Games.
• Enzo Robotti, winner of a Cup Winners' Cup with Fiorentina;
• Sergio Castelletti, winner of a Cup Winners' Cup with Fiorentina;
• Riccardo Sogliano, winner of a Cup Winners' Cup with AC Milan.