Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#61 [url]

Mar 2 12 12:15 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
Of course. This match is far more important for world soccer than Argentina v Peru at the 1978 World Cup or Italian matches at 1934 World Cup when Italy fielded non eligible players.

FIFA is a much bigger and richer organisation now, and is being forced to be much more accountable due to the presence of the internet. In the 1960s and 1970s, not many people in Europe would know about Bahrain results.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Mar 2 12 1:15 PM

Why is FIFA investigating the Bahrain vs Indonesia match? The result was inevitable. Bahrain is one of the better Asian teams, playing at home against a ramshackle Indonesia C team with nothing to play for. Once Bahrain had an early lead, with the Indonesian keeper sent off, the outcome was inevitable.
Soft penalties and cheap red cards are a common feature of football in the Gulf anyway.

If FIFA want to investigate something, choose the Iran vs Qatar game. Look at the hilariously bad defending of both teams on the goals, the extremely soft penalty given to Qatar. Iran were through anyway, Qatar needed only a draw. More potential for collusion there. And how many Qatar players were born in Qatar?

Oh but wait, Qatar are FIFA's friends, so that won't be happening soon. Anyway, the idea of FIFA investigating corruption is like the Ku Klux Klan investigating racism.

Peter Taylor might be the first coach to be sacked following a 10-0 win ;-)

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Mar 2 12 5:32 PM

mcruic wrote:
Fast Midfielder wrote:
Of course. This match is far more important for world soccer than Argentina v Peru at the 1978 World Cup or Italian matches at 1934 World Cup when Italy fielded non eligible players.

FIFA is a much bigger and richer organisation now, and is being forced to be much more accountable due to the presence of the internet. In the 1960s and 1970s, not many people in Europe would know about Bahrain results.

I agree many people in Europe would not know about Bahrain results in the 1960s and 1970s. I think even most of them never heard of Bahrain. However in 1934 most soccer lovers knew Italy fielded ineligible players at the Worldchampionships. It was even common knowledge, but FIFA did not take any action, even when Austrian team manager Hugo Meisl protested against before the semi final Italy v Austria. FIFA only "punished" Romania for fielding Baratky at the 1934 World Cup qualifying match gainst Switzerland (2-2). He was ineligible to play for Romania as he played within three years before for Hungary. FIFA changed the match result in a 2-0 defeat for Romania but this had no consequences for the processing of the tournament.

There have also been allegations to Argentina and Peru for fixing a 1978 World Cup match. Argentina gained a suspicious 6-0 win which robbed Brazil for a place in the final against Holland. Troughout the years more and more people who have been involved in this match fixing are confessing, but here FIFA does not take any action.

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Mar 2 12 10:08 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:

It was even common knowledge, but FIFA did not take any action, even when Austrian team manager Hugo Meisl protested against before the semi final Italy v Austria.

Ok.
And FIFA did not take any action about the scandalous refereeing of Aston in Chile-Italy 2-0 (1962 WC) and the super-scandalous refereeing of Moreno in South Korea-Italy 2-1 (2002 WC). To know who is Moreno it's sufficient to read reports on newspapers in the recent years. And Blatter is still there!!!

Quote    Reply   

#66 [url]

Jun 8 12 2:17 PM

Japan looking in awesome shape. Trashing everyone. No surprise here tho. Australia playing bad, watching them against Oman now. Fear It's even possible for Australia to miss WC 2014.

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

Jun 5 13 5:30 PM

日本おめでとう! (Apparantly this means 'Congratulations Japan!', thank you to Google Translate for making some sense of one of the world's most bizzare languages).

Getting through this early is a bit of a technicality due to their Confederations Cup participation, but they've been one of the most consistent teams in the world when it comes to qualification recently. Always had a soft spot for Japan since the 2002 World Cup (same (maybe more) for South Korea), who are probably the only country that would think of turning the Brazillian flag into a smiley: smile t-shirt...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

Jun 5 13 8:28 PM

In hindsight it did seem a little suspicious in parts (mainly the Quarter-Final vs. Spain in my opinion), but at the time I didn't notice a thing (for the record, I was 9, and not seen the full matches since). Innocent until proven guilty (not that it would have been the team's fault), etc...

Besides, I was talking more about the fans and the atmosphere they created (I saw a South Korea match at the Olympics last year and was sat near a group of their fans, doesn't just happen at home for them), and whether or not they had any 'help', the number of dramatic matches they had in that tournament (as underdog hosts) was exciting to watch at the time, probably only beaten by Turkey '08 and Zambia '12 for me.

Quote    Reply   

#72 [url]

Jun 6 13 9:10 AM

Yes, Japanese and Korean fans were very cool. If I well remember, during that World Cup, they learnt by heart the words of the national anthems and they sang them during their performances.

Quote    Reply   

#74 [url]

Sep 11 13 5:47 PM

Jordan has advanced to the playoff vs (probably) Uruguay or Ecuador.
In its last 10 World Cup games Jordan has won 3, drawn 3, lost 4... with goal difference minus 9. But somehow they're still alive.

Quote    Reply   

#75 [url]

Sep 11 13 7:19 PM

Once again bad luck for Uzbekistan; they almost qualified directly and now they are again eliminated in the Asian play-offs...I do not see Jordan have any chance against a South American team...

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

Sep 11 13 7:33 PM

Indeed, but Uzbekistan wouldn't have any chance either. They had two legs to beat Jordan, which is not even one of Asia's better teams, and they couldn't do it.

Quote    Reply   

#77 [url]

Sep 12 13 6:16 AM

I agree but palying a play-off against a South American team is for this kind of countries abig achievement..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help