Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#101 [url]

Nov 27 15 9:04 PM

For CHAN - something that needs to be known is how many foreign leagues provide players for the "normal A team squad". Then we would need to decide how many "foreign" players are necessary to make the team sufficiently different from a CHAN team. For example, a starting lineup with only 1 foreigner (and 10 local-based players) - would this be sufficient to say the CHAN team is not an A team? Sometimes the 1 foreign-based player may not play in mere friendly matches for the A team anyway.

As far as I can recall, only 1 CHAN qualification match might be considered a "complete" A match, as all players were domestic only - Djibouti 0-1 Somalia on 08.01.2010.  However, I don't have the squads for the match.  Even the smaller nations (like Swaziland and Lesotho) usually have 2 or 3 players playing abroad, even in neighbouring countries like South Africa.  Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Egypt I can think of that might field domestic-only national teams, so the number of potential A matches we are talking about here is very small.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Nov 27 15 9:20 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Nov 28 15 1:37 PM

It is similar to occasions where a country had only one or two professionals based abroad, and then these were not selected for the majority of internationals, either because the competitions forbade pros or just because it was inconvenient.

Quote    Reply   

#103 [url]

Nov 30 15 9:28 AM

I don't know if this can be helpful, but I've checked the status of the Superclásico de las Américas matches on fifa.com and they are classified as "A". Superclásico de las Américas was very similar to CHAN, because only local-based players could be employed by Argentina and Brazil in the 2011 and 2012 editions. Restrictions are even more evident than CHAN ones, because almost all the best Argentine and Brazilian footballers play in Europe, while a lot of countries compete in CHAN with their full "A" squads.

Last Edited By: Luca Nov 30 15 9:45 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#104 [url]

Nov 30 15 10:28 AM

If I remember well these 2011 and 2012 Superclásico matches were arranged on Champions League dates, so even if there were no restrictions the European based players could not play.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#105 [url]

Nov 30 15 3:50 PM

All that is required for "A" classification is a Tier 1 authorisation form to be submitted to FIFA by the hosting FA to certify that the match is being played between the "A" national teams of the countries concerned. That's it. FIFA doesn't check beyond this to see if there is any truth in the FA's submission. What the FA says on the form is law.

Quote    Reply   

#106 [url]

Dec 8 15 9:22 PM

Wonder if anyone has tried to do it unilaterally. E.g. let's say the FA of UAE (they're always good for a bit of dodgy paperwork) submits a Tier 1 form to FIFA saying that UAE is playing Spain, both A national teams, and then later mentions the match was 5-0 to UAE. Will anyone actually notice that the match didn't really exist? (except you and Jonny) Is it sufficient for it to exist only on paperwork?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help