Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 23 10 5:35 PM

Tags : :

In 1941 Afghanistan became independent; a football tournament was organised:
Aghanistan-Iran 0-0
Iran-India (British) 1-0
I suppose India and Afghanistan played each other in a third game.
does anyone has the result ?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Feb 27 15 7:37 PM

Afghanistan will leave SAFF and play in the new Central Asian Championship in 2015 (Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan will be the other teams).

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2696/indian-national-team/2015/02/26/9256272/afghanistan-to-play-saff-championship-for-the-last-time-in

Not clear, but it says Afghanistan will play in the 2015 SAFF Championship as well (which will be their last appearance).

Not sure what this will mean for their women's team - Central Asia has never held a tournament for women's national teams, and 2 of the members (Tajikistan and Turkmenistan) have yet to play a full international match. Afghanistan women played reasonably regularly within South Asia.

For futsal and beach soccer, this will be a good move for Afghanistan, as there is virtually no futsal or beach soccer within SAFF, while Iran and Uzbekistan are pretty active in futsal and beach soccer, and all the other teams are at a good level in futsal.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Feb 28 15 12:21 AM

Not sure - the article seems to say they will play both the SAFF and the CAFF championship in 2015. But if they have already left the SAFF, I am not sure how they can play in the SAFF Championship. nHowever, the Afghanistan FA president confirmed they would indeed play in the 2015 SAFF Championship, which will probably be held in the second half of 2015 (in India)

The CAFF championship is not really useful for Iran and Uzbekistan, and they might send B teams. But for Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Afghanistan, it will be good to have regular competition.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#7 [url]

Mar 5 15 12:03 AM

pieter wrote:
In 1941 Afghanistan became independent; a football tournament was organised:
Aghanistan-Iran 0-0
Iran-India (British) 1-0
I suppose India and Afghanistan played each other in a third game.
does anyone has the result ?

Not sure if this was Iran 's National Team. I'm sure I've read somewhere it was a Mashhad select or something similar.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 7 15 6:33 PM

I think entries to the South Asian Games (previously SAFG) are for members of a South Asian Olympic comittee (or something), which includes members separately from any decisions of SAFF...
But, if the SAFG football tournament is organized by SAFF, maybe only SAFF members. So anything is possible.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#10 [url]

Mar 7 15 9:37 PM

But South Asian Games is for Under-23 (at least for men), so is not quite so interesting anyway.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 7 15 10:00 PM

Well, for these permanently "developing" nations (i.e. anybody who isn't very good), youth level always seems to attract extra relevance somehow.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 18 15 11:53 PM

pieter wrote:
Found ther result
Afghanistan-India 1-3
sorry but Afghanistan became independent in 1919...

Piet:   what is your source for this match result?

There are various Farsi historical articles online about this event. 
Example : http://archive.is/http://www.hamshahrimags.com/NSite/FullStory/News/?Id=5536

That says that actually the real score of Afghanistan vs Iran was a 1-0 win for Afghanistan, with a last minute penalty goal which the Iranians disputed.  So perhaps the match was later recorded as 0-0 either for diplomatic reasons, or maybe as a sort of stubborn denial (?)  or just wrong info... 

If Afghanistan did beat Iran 1-0, then who won the tournament?

I have not found anything mentioned about the Indian team in any of the Indian newspapers I have checked.   In any case, it was clearly not a national team.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 21 15 10:06 PM

Here is a video apparently dated 1951, though the scores mentioned agree better with what I found for 1949:

Hockey game starts at 4:58 (Afghan Military XI 0-3 All-India)
Football game at 6:03 : Aryans Club 1-1 AIFF XI

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 22 15 9:50 AM

Sorry, let me say what I understood.

Pieter found Afghanistan - Iran  0-0, while Neil's Sources say 1-0. Year was 1941.
No dates are today available for that Tournament?

In addition, Neil found a 1951 video, where Aryans Club -  India (AIFF) XI  ended 1-1. But he says the year (according to other Source) was 1949.
No available dates also for that Match?

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

May 22 15 9:54 PM

BTW results between 1937 and 1984 involving Afghanistan are under investigation. I have done some preliminary work but not really organized it.  In most years there was some kind of football match(es) during the Jashn period. Usually the visiting team(s) came from India, Iran, Pakistan, Uzbekistan.   However, sources are very sparse.  Even if a match score was reported there were typically no details of it.

Elsewhere on the forum I posted the link to the Kabul Times online archive.

The 1941 tmt is here  although I am about to revise it (end of next week maybe).

I still don't know where Piet got the Afghan-India result. 

Last Edited By: nfm24 May 22 15 9:57 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help