Remove this ad

Lead

May 19 10 7:36 PM

Tags : :

Does anyone know what Brazil are doing running into the World Cup?

I have looked around a bit but can't seem to find any news on friendlys before heading to South Africa.

A Chelmsford City Fan

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 20 10 1:42 PM

Nothing too, except the friendly played last 2nd of march vs. Ireland.
According to CBF (Brazil FA) website the team will fly to South Africa next 26th of May. As their first match in WC will be played on 15th june I supposed their will be some friendlies or training games but I can't find anyone.

I aten't dead !

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 20 10 5:08 PM

I think Dunga will be very keen to make sure players are rested and fresh for the World Cup. He has not picked any real surprise players in his squad, so he doesn't need friendlies to learn anything more about the players.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 25 10 2:29 PM

Brazil to play Zim & Tanzania

Brazil are to play friendly matches against Tanzania and Zimbabwe before heading into the World Cup in South Africa

The games are to be formally announced when all the required documents have been sent by the respective football federations.

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14340_6171185,00.html

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

May 26 10 9:41 PM

According to the BBC, Brazil will be leaving (Brazil) on 2nd June, so there will definitely be no friendly match on 2nd June.

Also, and I don't agree with this - Brazil are asking for a large appearance fee to play Tanzania on 7th June in Dar es Salaam. Surely they should drop the price when they play against poor teams, and they should be happy just to get 90 minutes of match practice. Money, money, money.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 27 10 9:35 AM

JOHANNESBURG (AP)—Five-time World Cup winner Brazil touched down in South Africa early Thursday, with coach Dunga announcing “we are ready” ahead of their World Cup campaign.

Dunga’s squad, good enough to forego stars like Ronaldinho, Adriano, and Ronaldo, arrived after an overnight flight from Sao Paulo.

The Brazilians were greeted by local organizing committee chairman Irvhin Khoza, who said “You can see that they are confident and serious about this tournament.”

“The arrival of Brazil gives great confidence to all South Africans that this World Cup is really happening.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-wcup-brazil-arrive

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 27 10 12:03 PM

As seen on RSSSF Brazil :

02-06-2010 Brasil x Zimbábue (Brazil x Zimbabwe) - a ser confirmado (to be confirmed)
07-06-2010 Brasil x Tanzânia (Brazil x Tanzania)

http://www.rsssfbrasil.com/sel/brazil2010.htm

I aten't dead !

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 27 10 5:36 PM

By GERALD IMRAY AP Sports Writer

JOHANNESBURG(AP)—As soon as Brazil’s soccer team arrived in South Africa for the World Cup, the five-time champions said they will be leaving for warmup matches against Zimbabwe and Tanzania next week.

Brazil said Thursday it will play Zimbabwe in Harare on June 2 and against Tanzania on June 7.

In Zimbabwe, tourism minister Walter Mzembi also said Brazil would visit but would not say exactly how much Zimbabwe had paid Brazil - only that part of it was funded by the government and part by sponsors.

Mzembi said earlier this month that Brazil had asked for a $1.8 million appearance fee to play in Zimbabwe

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=txwcupbrazilarrival

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

May 28 10 7:33 PM

Wow! That must be century games for Zimbabwe and Tansania.
It`s surprising that of all teams Brazil plays test matches against southern african countries, while the other WC teams are preparing in Europe and playing against european countries.
I had thought that some of the teams would preparing in South Africa playing against Namibia, Lesotho, Angola or Botswana.
Anyway Portugal plays Mocambique at the preparation.

jonny wrote:

In Zimbabwe, tourism minister Walter Mzembi also said Brazil would visit but would not say exactly how much Zimbabwe had paid Brazil - only that part of it was funded by the government and part by sponsors.

Mzembi said earlier this month that Brazil had asked for a $1.8 million appearance fee to play in Zimbabwe

This bothers me, that Brazil is so mercenary to demand such a sum to play against one of the poorest countries in Africa.
And obviously it`s more important to Mugabe to play against Brazil, instead of doing something for the people.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 28 10 8:35 PM

" Both countries have agreed to pay an appearance fee to Brazil - but the sum has not been disclosed.

The man who negotiated the Zimbabwe game for Brazil, Paul Leisegang of sports agency Kantaro, said it was a deal worth doing.

"It's a figure that Zimbabwe are happy with," he said.

"In my heart I believe that the ordinary people of Zimbabwe deserve to have a taste of the World Cup, and I believe that Zimbabwe will never be the same again. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8709267.stm

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 9 10 6:22 AM

mcruic wrote:
According to the BBC, Brazil will be leaving (Brazil) on 2nd June, so there will definitely be no friendly match on 2nd June.

Also, and I don't agree with this - Brazil are asking for a large appearance fee to play Tanzania on 7th June in Dar es Salaam. Surely they should drop the price when they play against poor teams, and they should be happy just to get 90 minutes of match practice. Money, money, money.

World Cup 2010: Tanzania count cost of Brazil friendly

The Tanzanian Football Federation are facing a big financial loss after a poor turnout to see Brazil beat Tanzania 5-1 in a friendly on Monday.

Fans were put off by record entrance fees ranging from 25-180 US dollars to see the world's best team.

The Tanzanian Football Federation (TFF) hoped to raise about US$3m and cushion an estimated US$2.5m used to secure a friendly against the Brazilians.

But the 60,000-seater stadium was only half-full for the evening game.

The match fee paid to Brazil triggered a debate in Tanzania with some people questioning the rationale behind a poor country spending massively on a single match.

This forced the government to come clean on the matter, saying it had contributed nothing to the costs.

"Inviting Brazil was the TFF's responsibility," the minister of sports George Mkuchika said.

More :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8728004.stm

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#13 [url]

Jun 9 10 1:17 PM

Quite frightening. If Tanzania has 2.5 million US dollars, why don't they use it to improve the facilities for training for their national team, etc? Imagine the amount of foreign trips it could have paid for (with the CAN 2012 qualifiers coming up for example).

Also, they made such a gamble so that they could get $500,000 maximum. In my opinion, it is good that they were taught a lesson, but I feel sorry for all the ordinary people it will affect.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 9 10 2:24 PM

But it is not fair the way Brasil acts; why a team must pay to be a sparring partner: it is a part of their preparations for the WC...if they do not want to play matches before the WC, they do not have to do this...

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 9 10 4:51 PM

It was a bit of a difficult situation - if they rejected the (very rare) opportunity to stage a match vs Brazil, the fans would have been outraged.

Brazil has been using its national team as a money spinner for several years, playing friendlies in Gulf countries and in Europe, for big money. They just exploit the fact that ignorant people still think of Brazil as a dazzling "Harlem Globetrotters" style team, playing amazing football etc, despite the fact that they are mostly dull (albeit effective) under Dunga. So they pay big money for tickets to the "party".

If Brazil played in my city I might pay to see them, but not much. I would pay more to see Spain, Argentina, Mexico, or Netherlands, as I prefer their play.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help