Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#41 [url]

Oct 14 12 8:04 PM

CAR out after Burkina scored in the 6th minute of injury time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Oct 14 12 8:17 PM

Nico! Thankfully I am not alone, I am very upset CAR are out. The commentary said there was 4 minutes and they played until 6. I'm gutted we won't be seeing Central African Republic.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Oct 14 12 8:22 PM

Yeah Ed like I said I always fear money has influence in stuff like that. This was CAR´s chance of their footballing life. The same goes for Uganda. At least Cape Verde and Ethiopia are in. But I still can´t get over the fact that Timor yesterday failed to qualify and the Faroes weren´t lucky against Sweden. I´m glad the football weekend is over.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#45 [url]

Oct 14 12 8:23 PM

SE-Stubbs wrote:
Nico! Thankfully I am not alone, I am very upset CAR are out. The commentary said there was 4 minutes and they played until 6. I'm gutted we won't be seeing Central African Republic.

There was an injury stoppage with a player down right near the end for another 2 minutes or so, which was added on to the injury time.

I think we should be happy for Ethiopia, Cape Verde and Niger and not be too greedy for underdogs!

Let's also be happy for Laos and Burkina Faso.. They are not exactly glamorous teams.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Oct 14 12 8:25 PM

It´s a conspiracy... no just kidding. I´m just sad they weren´t rewarded for their efforts. Considering how weak their were just years ago they had had a pretty good improvement.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Oct 14 12 8:35 PM

Yes it seems like they have come such a long way to be denied by a side who have qualified many times before. But like Mark says we should be happy as they too are minnows on the grand scale.

I was really gutted about Timor-Leste but I have always had a thing for them, I'd watched every game and even spoke to Murillo to do an interview about their recent form. Now it seems a bit silly to do this article as they didn't qualify. That one really upset me, but I'm sure they will progress to the ASEAN finals soon.

CAR, on the other hand, might struggle to get so close in the next few years.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Oct 14 12 9:26 PM

That´s football. I got used to disappointments. Maybe they keep that kind of qualification and some minnows again will have the chance to qualify. But the standard of football seems to be very equal.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Oct 14 12 9:29 PM

Biggest surprises then based on FIFA ranking:
+ Niger, Ethiopia, Congo DR
- Egypt, Gabon, CAR

Ethiopia to me are the biggest surprise considering almost all play in domestic league. Also Angola and Niger with hardly any top level club players. Zambians on the other hand will feel comfortable playing "at home".

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#51 [url]

Oct 15 12 6:18 PM

The draw will be held on 24 October in Durban.

Seedings:

•Pot one: South Africa, Zambia, Ghana, Ivory Coast
•Pot two: Mali, Tunisia, Angola, Nigeria
•Pot three: Algeria, Burkina Faso, Morocco, Niger
•Pot four: Togo, Cape Verde, DR Congo, Ethiopia

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Oct 15 12 7:22 PM

What a disappointment from Cameroon...
They are the shadow of the brilliant team of 10-12 years ago, when they conquered two African titles and were very close to winning the Confederations Cup. However, congratulations to Cape Verde.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Oct 15 12 8:14 PM

African football seems so much more balanced now, with many of the former whipping boys are now contenders. Even teams who under-achieved for years are capable of doing well.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Oct 16 12 9:09 AM

I totally agree. Some years ago I joked a little bit ... Of all the titles of honour, Emperor Bokassa were awarded - "Central-Africa’s best football player of all the time" - was the least absurd one. Bokassa is history and CAR’s alive.
On the other hand: Africa was already in the past much more balanced than Asia / Oceania. In Asia, it took a long time until the exceptional position of the oil countries ended. Well, South Korea has a long tradition - but Japan is relatively new …

The development potential of ASEAN countries will still remain limited. Filipinos, Cambodians or Thais rarely have the physical conditions to be more successful in football. A defender with >= 80 kg can be very beneficial ... if he is athletic (and does not suffer chronic digestive problems).
It is also an advantage, not only to have small and lanky strikers. Look to Philippines or East Timor! The Younghusband Bros. or Brazilian-born lighthouses Murilo and Alan Leandro (all players >6 feet) change the performance of their teams completely. Their only problem: to see the opponents just above the turf.

I wish all the teams every success! But I also hope that the future of South East Asian football will not be dependent on genealogists...

I will not make fun to this region. SE-Stubbs looked at all the matches of the tournament in Myanmar. I think he enjoyed it.
The passion for football in Malaysia or other Tiger-countries is nothing strange. One sees a technically good, fast (looking) football; much more interesting and entertaining to watch as the movement around an anthill.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Oct 16 12 10:21 AM

ctr wrote:
The development potential of ASEAN countries will still remain limited. Filipinos, Cambodians or Thais rarely have the physical conditions to be more successful in football.

The Spain and Argentina teams are not full of giants at the moment... though I understand your point.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Oct 17 12 4:48 PM

nfm24 wrote:
ctr wrote:
The development potential of ASEAN countries will still remain limited. Filipinos, Cambodians or Thais rarely have the physical conditions to be more successful in football.

The Spain and Argentina teams are not full of giants at the moment... though I understand your point.

I know what I'm writing about! I am much more than 5 ft. tall ... almost as far away from 6 ft. Physical preconditions is relevant in football, especially in a direct duel.

Of course, there are also ‘diminutive’ super players. Lionel Messi is physically not a giant, Maradona wasn't ...There were even strong defensive players in football history. I remember e.g. Norbert ‘Nobby’ Stiles (same first name, same height…if Wikipedia is true), who played an exceptionally good World Cup final in '66.

But that was not my point. I know: small players also have some advantages: they are often more nimble, more agile (and have a shorter viewing distance to the ball if it’s on the ground). So I wrote “… only … small and lanky strikers”. That’s the problem.

It is no problem for a symphony orchestra if the best and most virtuoso player of a triangle is part of it (not even if he otherwise plays no instrument). However, if the entire orchestra consists only of such triangle players, then the quality will be very limited.

An Argentine or Spanish coach can make a choice! He can weigh the pros and cons. Do I need for my ensemble still rather a lively or a more solid player? A dribbler (very often not so tall), a physically strong player with better defensive qualities, or a striker who can win head duels, etc., etc.

topic “Gibraltar”, Oct 04, 2012 12:31 am, nfm24 wrote:
… It depends on how much importance is given to developing the team and its potential...
This was another wise comment by you. With only a few words you pointed out on an important issue. Let's call that "issues of infrastructure". Infrastructure is very important for the outcome. And (only) one part of it is the physical preconditions of players. Are there big differences between two teams, this point may even be decisive. We can compare e.g. Malta und Iceland:

Both are islands, population about the same (slightly larger Malta), Iceland economically stronger, Malta Catholic / Iceland Protestant. Level of professionalism of football: I think comparable, but Iceland has some professionals in the UK.

For so many years Iceland is clearly stronger than Malta. (Head-to-head record: 10 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses). Iceland won all 5 the matches at home. In Malta Iceland won more often, two of the three losses are over 20 years back.

Why Iceland is stronger? Socioeconomic factors may (also) be a reason... But most important is a difference in physical strength: the Icelanders are much taller. Looking at the current squads there is a difference about 3 inches. The physical strength of the Icelanders is one of the reasons that this ‘tiny’ island has a very competitive handball team (internationally seen).

I remember a funny scene at WC ‘98. A Jamaican defender controlled the ball, a Japanese player tried to get it …: slow motion won the direct duel against time lapse and Jamaica against Japan.

The topic here is “Africa”: in Africa there are also some differences. Compare West and East! Countries with excellent long distance runners have “some problems” in football…

This is to show that it is not meant to devalue any peoples. Quite the contrary! East Africans or Southeast Asians are not too stupid to play football. And usually not under development is the main cause of weaker performance. From Southeast Asia came again and again excellent guys in boxing, but only in the lower weight classes; similar for Central America.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Oct 24 12 3:17 PM

The powers become more and more equal now. Every year we have new strong nations in Africa. And others like Cameroon are amazingly gonna miss this cup of nations as well.
Can't wait for the tournament. Should be very interesting. Glad to see Ethiopia and Cape Verde there.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#59 [url]

Oct 24 12 3:34 PM

Football813 wrote:
The powers become more and more equal now. Every year we have new strong nations in Africa. And others like Cameroon are amazingly gonna miss this cup of nations as well.
Can't wait for the tournament. Should be very interesting. Glad to see Ethiopia and Cape Verde there.

The format for this hurried 2013 edition has a lot to do with why some 'shock' teams qualified. It is a lot easier to prepare yourself for a 2-leg knockout match than an 8 or 10 match league.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#60 [url]

Oct 24 12 3:35 PM

Draw will be live on BBC African Football website at 1830 BST (1930 CET).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help