Remove this ad

#81 [url]

Jan 27 13 11:52 AM

Yep, I also noticed the clock stood at 90:00 for some time when it was announced 13 minutes would be added. From that announcement on 13 minutes were played.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#82 [url]

Jan 27 13 9:41 PM

It would seem the referee added all the time the interruption lasted for. Some ten minutes of interruption plus additional few minutes as usual. That's the only explanation I have for the 13 minutes that were added after the match resumed. However, I still don't understand why the match resumed at 86'..

Quote    Reply   

#83 [url]

Jan 28 13 8:18 AM

SDb wrote:
 However, I still don't understand why the match resumed at 86'..
What do you mean?  Are you saying that the delay time should be included in the timing minutes?

Quote    Reply   

#84 [url]

Jan 28 13 10:48 AM

Cape Verde-Angola 2-1

Wow, Cape Verde doesn't stop astonishing: they are among the eight best teams in the continent!

And look how many champions have Cape Verdean origins:

Patrick Vieira (European and World champion with France);
Henrik Larsson (European champion with Barcelona);
Nani (European and World champion with Manchester United);
Rolando (winner of the 2010/11 Europa League with Porto);
Silvestre Varela (winner of the 2010/11 Europa League with Porto).

And I've surely forgot someone.

Quote    Reply   

#85 [url]

Jan 28 13 11:06 AM

nfm24 wrote:
SDb wrote:
 However, I still don't understand why the match resumed at 86'..
What do you mean?  Are you saying that the delay time should be included in the timing minutes?

Just said the match resumed at 86' rather than with stoppage time. The match clock counted up to 90 so the match should've resumed at 90 with stoppage time. In any case, too many minutes were added.

Quote    Reply   

#86 [url]

Jan 28 13 12:24 PM

Luca wrote:
Cape Verde-Angola 2-1

Wow, Cape Verde doesn't stop astonishing: they are among the eight best teams in the continent!

And look how many champions have Cape Verdean origins:

Patrick Vieira (European and World champion with France);
Henrik Larsson (European champion with Barcelona);
Nani (European and World champion with Manchester United);
Rolando (winner of the 2010/11 Europa League with Porto);
Silvestre Varela (winner of the 2010/11 Europa League with Porto).

And I've surely forgot someone.

I am not surprised. They eliminated Cameroon.

Quote    Reply   

#88 [url]

Jan 28 13 9:35 PM

Certainly too many minutes were added. It's a bit of a moot point whether at restart the clock should begin at 86', or at 90+11' (which would be the time if the clock was allowed to keep running regardless of the stoppage). Anyway as long as there is a footnote mentioning that the delay occured at 86' and lasted 15 mins, people can make the conversion easily themselves.
It seemed that the referee decided to restart from 86'. Why he then played up to 90 and still added on 13 more minutes is a mystery. Clown!

Cape Verde has a reasonably solid defence with some tricky speedy attackers and a big target man. More importantly they are organised and have simple but effective tactics with a consistent selection. This way they maximise their potential. This puts them ahead of teams like Morocco which have more potential but mess around with the selections too much and continually underachieve.

Disappointed that DRC didn't go through today, but ultimately their defence was too sloppy. Hope Zambia make it tomorrow, and then Togo.

Quote    Reply   

#91 [url]

Jan 29 13 10:19 AM

Yes, Witsel wouldn't seem a Portuguese surname. He has roots in Martinique like Thierry Henry and Nicolas Anelka.

Now Cape Verde needs a miracle against Ghana, but the African Cup of Nations is a crazy competition, where everything can happen...

I hope also Togo can reach the quarter-finals. They just need a draw against Tunisia. I've always appreciated Emmanuel Adebayor: I consider him a great forward. If he feels confidence around him, he can be very important for his teams.

Quote    Reply   

#95 [url]

Feb 3 13 9:42 AM

Ghana-Cape Verde 2-0

Adeus, Cabo Verde image

South Africa-Mali 1-1 (1-3 on penalties)

Another goal by Seydou Keita, one of the most underrated players in the last years. When he was in Barcelona, he was a very important midfielder for his team.

Quote    Reply   

#96 [url]

Feb 3 13 1:01 PM

Luca wrote:
Ghana-Cape Verde 2-0

Adeus, Cabo Verde image

South Africa-Mali 1-1 (1-3 on penalties)

Another goal by Seydou Keita, one of the most underrated players in the last years. When he was in Barcelona, he was a very important midfielder for his team.

Really unlucky for Cape Verde - I try not to complain about refereeing decisions too much but they can feel hard-done by there, poor calls for an international-level referee at a major tournament.

South Africa unlucky as well, but congratulations to Mali. Quarter-Final penalty shoot-out win against a host nation for the 2nd tournament in a row...

Quote    Reply   

#97 [url]

Feb 4 13 1:10 AM

It's odd that the media are singling out some bad decisions in this tournament as "poor African refereeing", suggesting the continent as a whole lags behind. Forgetting of course that in any World Cup or European Championship or major domestic league, there are as many decisions at least as bad. If people want to criticize Africa, point at the Mbombela pitch and the empty seats in general.

Quote    Reply   

#98 [url]

Feb 4 13 10:49 AM

Nigeria-Ivory Coast 2-1

Another disappointment for Ivory Coast. I've the feeling that they don't care about the jersey of their National team.

As to Ghana, we've also to consider that some of the best players of this country (André Ayew, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari) haven't been called up for this CAN, so the Ghanian march is assuming more value.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#99 [url]

Feb 4 13 12:16 PM

I don't blame a lot of Africans if they don't care about their national team.  Most African countries had their borders drawn by Europeans who didn't respect the differences between peoples.  There isn't the same ethnic homogeneity as in, say, certain European countries.  In my opinion, this makes it harder to feel national pride.  The European colonial administrators are to blame for this, not the Africans.

Quote    Reply   

#100 [url]

Feb 4 13 12:33 PM

I would have thought the opposite - these countries have gained their independence fairly recently, and there are not many opportunities for countries like (say) Togo or Zambia to be recognised on an international stage.
Ivory Coast - they just made the same mistake as last year, which was playing too lethargically.   They seem to play with the brakes on.  Arrogance maybe?  They were a bit unlucky again (or you can call it poor goalkeeping) but ultimately they didn't play with enough intent until it was too late (again).  And for Zokora to wear "Maestro" on his shirt was asking for trouble... 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help