Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

Site Admin

Lead

Sep 29 10 4:09 AM

Tags : :

I've noticed a few websites calling the Tahiti National Team 'Tahiti Nui' (including the website of FPF, the national governing body).

Tahiti Nui means 'Big Tahiti' and refers only to the large Northwestern part of the main island of Tahiti. I wonder why they have chosen to use this name?

Even the OFC has started to use this name, surely it is wrong?

http://www.oceaniafootball.com/ofc/Competitions/ScheduleandResults/tabid/1015/Competition/71e3f14d-cde4-4ebb-b358-6cf5d8959158/CompTitle/Futsal/Default.aspx
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 29 10 3:29 PM

Just a guess: is it also the nickname of the senior national team? And maybe the youth teams have more diminutive names?

The anthem has Tahiti Nui in the last line:
http://www.ftf.pf/index.php?menu=4&ss_menu=52

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 29 10 5:17 PM

The rugby team of Tahiti is also referred to as Tahiti Nui, just as the futsal team. All the 1st division clubs are located within Tahiti Nui so I guess it really is just that part of the island.. The other island chains have own leagues and I don't know if any players are ever called up to the NT.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Feb 10 13 11:39 PM

pieter wrote:
Will Tahiti play any full internationals in preparation of the Confederations cup ?

I think the best person to answer that question is Mr. Google.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#6 [url]

Feb 12 13 1:23 AM

pieter wrote:
I do not know Mr Google personnally, so I thought it might be a good issue on this forumWink02

Tahiti played a weakened Sydney FC  last week and lost 4-0 - apparently Sydney should have scored more goals. This match was arranged to help Tahiti prepare for the Confederations Cup.  They also lost 1-0 to Mounties Wanderers (Australian 3rd level team) a few days ago.

I think they really need to play some national teams, but they say they have trouble getting teams to come to Tahiti (understandable), and it's a big distance even to go to New Zealand or Australia...  Also, it's hard to find opponents who want to play them.  Who would want to go all the way to Oceania to play a team ranked below 100?

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Feb 12 13 1:28 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 12 13 11:23 AM

I would suggest to arrange some friendlies on their way to Brazil, as other teams did in 2009. Shouldn't be so difficult to arrange a match with league selections of Paraguay or another team in the region. They also have world cup qualifiers ahead which should help in preparations.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 12 13 1:29 PM

They will face giants of international football...... It is nice to see them compete but I fear they will be demolished......

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Apr 22 13 4:47 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Tahiti played a weakened Sydney FC  last week and lost 4-0 - apparently Sydney should have scored more goals. This match was arranged to help Tahiti prepare for the Confederations Cup.  They also lost 1-0 to Mounties Wanderers (Australian 3rd level team) a few days ago.

I think they really need to play some national teams, but they say they have trouble getting teams to come to Tahiti (understandable), and it's a big distance even to go to New Zealand or Australia...  Also, it's hard to find opponents who want to play them.  Who would want to go all the way to Oceania to play a team ranked below 100?

Do you know Dates and  Venues (Cities)  of  Matches vs Sydney FC and M.Wanderers?  Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 27 13 3:04 PM

Giampaolo wrote:
Do you know Dates and  Venues (Cities)  of  Matches vs Sydney FC and M.Wanderers?  Thanks.

Found reply by myself in ftf (Federation Tahitienne de Football). 

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#13 [url]

May 30 13 9:52 PM

30.05.2013 Universidad de Chile Juveniles 1-3 Tahiti (Santiago)
01.06.2013 Deportivo Magallanes v Tahiti (Las Condes)
04.06.2013 Chile U-20 v Tahiti (Chillán)

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Jun 1 13 12:47 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 5 13 12:03 PM

30/5/13 U de Chile Youth 1-3 Tahiti [at CDA, La Cisterna]
1/6/13 CD Magallanes (academy) 1-2 Tahiti [at Las Condes]
4/6/13 Chile U20 7-0 Tahiti [at Chillán]

It seems Tahiti cannot defend crosses. So they should be fine against Spain.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#15 [url]

Jun 6 13 12:06 PM

7-0 against Chile U-20 is a very crap result.

Chile only managed to finish 4th in the South American U-20 Championship this year, so they're not even that great a team.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jun 6 13 8:58 PM

Yes but what would be the expected result based on a ranking (if we assume Chile U20 is roughly the strength of Chile, in potential)? I think the scores of Tahiti's 3 games in the confed cup will be simply a matter of how much energy the opponents are willing to invest in pummelling them. Confed Cup is using goal-difference as first tie-breaker. Spain rarely thrashes teams these days but I fear that Uruguay will.
Playing in bigger stadiums where the crowd will be on their side and the match actually matters might give Tahiti a boost of energy to keep the score down a bit.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help