Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#61 [url]

Nov 11 13 1:56 PM

Nice to see something being written about it, at least!

Just a small point - Curaçao, Aruba and Bonaire are largely Papiamento-speaking (rather than Dutch-speaking). Perhaps "Dutch-influenced" would be better.

Also, Bonaire is not yet a member of CONCACAF (it's a member of CFU, after a period of being a provisional member, and is as yet simply an associate member of CONCACAF). Not sure how long it must remain an associate, but Guadeloupe, Martinique et al. were associate members for quite some time before they were accepted as full members recently.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#69 [url]

Nov 18 13 12:44 AM

Well it may not have achieved CNN coverage, but it made the giddy heights of the Whiteboard Prediction League.
There are at least two spectators in the background of the 2nd picture. And two stewards, who appear oblivious to both spectators and the game.

Quote    Reply   

#70 [url]

Nov 18 13 1:17 AM

How did predictions of this tournament go in the WPL?

Depending on the number of contestants in the WPL the total tournament followers could reach double digit.

Aside from this, Bonaire put in good performances in both matches. Not bad for an entirely home-based squad from such a small place.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

Nov 18 13 1:33 AM

Not well. We only predicted the semis, and I was the only person who got points (the others seems unaware the Bonaire would be expected to lose to Suriname).
Anybody can enter the WPL provided that they are in the office. Typical attendance is 3.

Quote    Reply   

#73 [url]

Nov 18 13 1:55 AM

Sir, I demand that you cease and desist with your pirate rival league!

To aid participants who are not well versed in the relative strengths of some international teams, I provide a guide in the form of the NFM24 Official International Grading System, which awards all teams a score as follows:
1. Actually quite good
2. Consistently decent
3. Mediocre and inconsistent
4. Poor at best
5. Very bad indeed
6. Have no concept of football

Last Edited By: nfm24 Nov 18 13 1:59 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#74 [url]

Nov 18 13 10:02 AM

Looks like I'll be seeing you in court then, sir.

I'd give Moldova a 4 and Lithuania a 3 (?) according to the NFM24 Official International Grading System.

One housemate who's already left for the day has wildly predicted a 4-0 win for Benin later.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#76 [url]

Nov 18 13 1:33 PM

Bonaire just sounds better than Suriname. The name has a giddiness to it that titillates the higher reaches of the brain - notes of jumbo jet and freshness. Suriname looks like "surname", and reeks of bureaucratic form-filling and general negativity. It's no surprise to me that the WPL entrants had chosen Bonaire over Suriname, led as they were by their primeval senses. Neil was clearly the only one with the ability to turn off his senses for the duration of the prediction.  In this case, a senseless prediction was the best one.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#77 [url]

Nov 18 13 1:36 PM

SEStubbs wrote:
One housemate who's already left for the day has wildly predicted a 4-0 win for Benin later.

Good job he's left.  Otherwise, he could have been subjected to something or another, for whatever reason.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#79 [url]

Nov 18 13 3:09 PM

Bonaire's first home match since the break up of the Netherlands Antilles, yes. They played a good number of matches v Curaçao and Aruba in Bonaire in the old triangular tournament which was used to decide the composition of Netherlands Antilles teams.  They are 0-2-6 v Curaçao at home from 8 matches, and 3-1-1 v Aruba from 5 matches.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Nov 18 13 3:13 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#80 [url]

Nov 18 13 3:25 PM

Are there archives for these results (triangular) online anywhere?

That's an impressive record against Aruba in my opinion considering the difference in population. Off the top of my head only 3 FIFA members (Montserrat, Anguilla and Cook Islands) have a smaller population than Bonaire. I'm intrigued as to how they will fair in a potential Caribbean Cup qualification campaign next year.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help