Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 28 10 4:57 PM

Tags : :

The draw for the qualification has been made. There will be pre qualification play-offs.

THE DRAW

Playoffs (February 9 and 16, 2011)

Playoff 1: Bhutan vs Afghanistan
Playoff 2: Philippines vs Mongolia
Playoff 3: Chinese Taipei vs Laos
Playoff 4: Cambodia vs Macau

GROUP STAGE (March 20-31, 2011)

Group A: Myanmar, Palestine, Bangladesh, winner of playoff 2
Group B: Turkmenistan, India, winner of playoff 3, Pakistan
Group C: Tajikistan, Maldives, winner of playoff 4, Kyrgyzstan
Group D: DPR Korea, winner of playoff 1, Nepal, Sri Lanka

Teams that do not participate:
Brunei (suspended)
Guam
Timor-Leste

http://www.the-afc.com/en/afc-challenge-cup-2010/31002-2012-afc-challenge-cup-draw-results
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

Oct 28 10 10:37 PM

I don't know why North Korea are always in this tournament - now that they have been in the World Cup, they have clearly shown they are not a 'least-developed' nation any more.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 29 10 4:31 PM

Maybe AFC wanna make sure that very weak team won't enter Asian Cup.
North Korea is strongest from AFC Challenge, with India, Tajikistan or Turkmenistan as second to qualify.

It's strange, as AFC Challenge was created for the weakest teams like Brunei or Sri Lanka and not for Koreas or Tajiks.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Oct 30 10 11:39 AM

From the AFC:

"Although the tournament was originally designed for the emerging Asian nations, performance of teams like Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan have proved that they belong to a different class. "

Despite acknowledging this, they do not change their classification system.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 30 10 5:33 PM

If they really want do something to rise level of football, AFC should create a few turnament with different level.
For Example:
Lowest Level: Sri Lanka, Brunei, Bhutan, Nepal, Laos, East Timor, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Taiwan, Macau, Mongolia, Cambodia, Philipines, Maldives, Northern Mariana Islands and Palau (when they'll join AFC)

Level Higher: India, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Kirgistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Palestine, Yemen, Lebanon

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 31 10 12:25 PM

Level of football won't rise when the same teams keep playing each other all the time. Certainly hasn't worked for AFF nor SAFF.
I think inviting some better AFC teams to Challenge Cup is a good idea.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

Oct 31 10 9:57 PM

trekky76 wrote:
Level of football won't rise when the same teams keep playing each other all the time. Certainly hasn't worked for AFF nor SAFF.
I think inviting some better AFC teams to Challenge Cup is a good idea.

The teams should have been left in the Asian Cup qualifying as they were before instead of having this 2-part system just because the top teams complain about having to play weak teams. Here the lower teams already had the chance to play the good teams. The top teams' demands should be ignored. They have short memories, forgetting that a lot of them used to be much weaker than they are today.

This tournament is for the smaller countries so that they can have a chance of winning something. They have very little chance of winning when North Korea/Turkmenistan/Tajikistan are playing, and it gives North Korea/Turkmenistan/Tajikistan almost free entry to the Asian Cup which they do not deserve. They should go through the same qualification process as everyone else. Can you imagine if they introduced this system in Europe, and teams like Moldova and Armenia qualified for the Euro Finals by beating Andorra, San Marino and Malta, while Ireland/Austria/Bulgaria and others went through the normal qualification rounds and failed to qualify??

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 1 10 10:08 AM

mcruic wrote:
This tournament is for the smaller countries so that they can have a chance of winning something. They have very little chance of winning when North Korea/Turkmenistan/Tajikistan are playing, and it gives North Korea/Turkmenistan/Tajikistan almost free entry to the Asian Cup which they do not deserve. They should go through the same qualification process as everyone else. Can you imagine if they introduced this system in Europe, and teams like Moldova and Armenia qualified for the Euro Finals by beating Andorra, San Marino and Malta, while Ireland/Austria/Bulgaria and others went through the normal qualification rounds and failed to qualify??

I'm with you Mark, this system is really unfair. What does North Korea do among these teams? I remember, when North Korea beat Guam 21-0.

Why Singapore or Lebanon have to play against the harder teams?
And why they made this stupid decision at all, to reward the "winner of the weakest" a qualifying place in the continental finals?

Even the qualifying-system in Africa is better.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 1 10 10:37 AM

I agree they would better open the qualification to every team, but in Asia the difference in level between the top teams and the minnows is much bigger then in Africa.... there are not much scores in the 10-0 range in Africa's internationals...
But this can be solved with pre-qualifications to avoid destructing scores like 21-0...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#11 [url]

Nov 1 10 12:10 PM

pieter wrote:
I agree they would better open the qualification to every team, but in Asia the difference in level between the top teams and the minnows is much bigger then in Africa.... there are not much scores in the 10-0 range in Africa's internationals...
But this can be solved with pre-qualifications to avoid destructing scores like 21-0...

I agree. Africa has quite a small difference between the top and bottom teams.

I just had a quick check with my rankings to see the difference in points between the top and bottom FIFA teams in each confederation, it is quite interesting to see. I used standard deviation, which is a measure of the spread of a set of data. UEFA and CAF are very similar, and you can see AFC has a very large spread.

CONMEBOL: 114
UEFA: 179
CAF: 186
CONCACAF: 344
AFC: 381
OFC: 514

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 1 10 11:53 PM

Giving Challenge Cup two spots for next Asian Cup was obviously at least one too many.
With that in mind, apart from North Korea, India & Turkmenistan are ranked below Hong Kong so it's not like they are too good for Maldives or the likes..

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 9 11 12:58 PM

The first legs of the playoffs took place today.

Cambodia 3-1 Macau
A good result I guess for Cambodia, not the biggest of scorelines but they should progress

Philippines 2 - 0 Mongolia
Not a bad result for Mongolia, I read an article on how their side was weak and that the Philippines hoped to use the game as a way to practice winning by big margins (no joke!). The return leg is a month later than the others due to the weather in Mongolia, could be an interesting tie.

Mark do you know what happened to Bhutan v Afghanistan? It is listed on Wiki as happening today but I can't find it on the Roon Ba site..

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#17 [url]

Feb 9 11 6:13 PM

SE-Stubbs wrote:

Mark do you know what happened to Bhutan v Afghanistan? It is listed on Wiki as happening today but I can't find it on the Roon Ba site..

It seems to have been cancelled/postponed, but I do not know why. I don't know if one or both of the teams withdrew.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Feb 16 11 3:49 PM

Macau-Cambodia 3-1: was there a penalty shoot-out?

Why is there no news on the AFC site: it is their competition....?

No news about Bhutan-Afghanistan?

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Feb 16 11 6:11 PM

pieter wrote:
Macau-Cambodia 3-1: was there a penalty shoot-out?

Why is there no news on the AFC site: it is their competition....?

No news about Bhutan-Afghanistan?

Macau - Cambodia ended 3-2 after extra time. Bhutan - Afghanistan scheduled for March 23rd.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 16 11 7:46 PM

I think Laos performance is a little dissapoinment. I thought Laos is at same level , or a little higher than Taiwan.

As of Macau, it's good to see Macau beat Cambodia.

Now on Cambodia is wooden spoon holder (title for worst world team)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help