GROUP C: Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, Peru
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Nov 13 10 3:24 AM

trekky76 wrote:
Mexico will send their Olympic team. Were the US invited at all?

Not sure - I wish CONMEBOL would stop inviting teams though. Most people cannot understand why Japan is in teh Copa América. Mexico will allow, I think, 5 overage players, so it will be slightly different from their Olympic team (which is allowed 3 overage players).

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 14 10 3:11 PM

mcruic wrote:
trekky76 wrote:
Mexico will send their Olympic team. Were the US invited at all?

Not sure - I wish CONMEBOL would stop inviting teams though. Most people cannot understand why Japan is in teh Copa América. Mexico will allow, I think, 5 overage players, so it will be slightly different from their Olympic team (which is allowed 3 overage players).

Japan was invited because the CONMEBOL want support for the six places to the World Cup.

Then Japan pledged to change of take part...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 14 10 8:06 PM

They need to make up numbers to have a reasonable format... otherwise there are 10 teams. They could invite Suriname or Guyana, but this will not help TV money etc in the same way as inviting Mexico or Japan.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Nov 14 10 10:38 PM

nfm24 wrote:
They need to make up numbers to have a reasonable format... otherwise there are 10 teams. They could invite Suriname or Guyana, but this will not help TV money etc in the same way as inviting Mexico or Japan.

I think 2 groups of 5 would be a reasonable format, with 4 games for each team:

But instead of the top 2 qualifying for the semi-finals (which could lead to 2 teams qualifying well before the end of the group stages), how about the top team in each group qualifying for the semi-finals, and the 2nd and 3rd teams in each group qualifying for crossover quarter-finals to determine the other 2 semi-final places.

For example:

GROUP A
Brazil
Chile
Paraguay
Ecuador
Bolivia

GROUP B
Argentina
Uruguay
Colombia
Peru
Venezuela

Brazil would qualify for the semi-final
Argentina would qualify for the semi-final

Then there would be 2 quarter-finals:
Chile v Colombia (winner to play Argentina)
Uruguay v Paraguay (winner to play Brazil)

Alternatively, the winners of the 2 crossover matches could automatically play the team that they did NOT play during the group stage to avoid repetition of matches.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

May 19 11 11:39 PM

Jorge González wrote:
Costa Rica u23

They will send the Olympic team + 5 overage players. So, I think these matches will count as full internationals. I'm not sure why this decision was made by Costa Rica, it's not every day they get to play in the Copa América and play top South American teams. Even their best team would have a hard time in this competition.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 22 11 12:33 PM

mcruic wrote:
Jorge González wrote:
Costa Rica u23

They will send the Olympic team + 5 overage players. So, I think these matches will count as full internationals. I'm not sure why this decision was made by Costa Rica, it's not every day they get to play in the Copa América and play top South American teams. Even their best team would have a hard time in this competition.

Maybe because Copa America begins just one week later than the final of the Gold Cup?
Or Concacaf have obligated or appealed them not to field the "real" national team, like Mexico, as the priority for them have to be the Gold Cup...

Just suppositions..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Jun 19 11 11:34 PM

Is FIFA gonna count all the matches?
I know they previously did so when Japan and Korea entered u-23 teams for continental championships.. However, they aren't know for being consistent.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#13 [url]

Jun 20 11 9:20 PM

I asked FIFA what they would do about Mexico's Copa América matches. I also gave them links about the Mexico v Colombia friendly on 22nd June (same day the main team plays Honduras in the Gold Cup semi-final). The Mexican FA clearly referred to the team as the U-22 national team.

Their response "Let's wait and see what happens nearer the time".

I don't get it.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 21 11 10:51 AM

Very confusing having two teams playing A matches at the same time. But I also believe both should be counted if Copa América matches will be. But that's what you get by mixing olympic teams in 'A' football..

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jun 21 11 5:27 PM

trekky76 wrote:
Very confusing having two teams playing A matches at the same time. But I also believe both should be counted if Copa América matches will be. But that's what you get by mixing olympic teams in 'A' football..

This is exactly how we get misunderstandings. Nevertheless, if both FA's regard a match official A-international the mach should be regarded as such anyhow. However I cannot believe it is meant to be a U-23 or even U-22 side represents a nation in an official A-international match, not to mention at a Continental Championships tournament.

In following topic http://roonba.20.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=16239#16239 such kind of issues have been discussed.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 21 11 7:17 PM

Brazil participated in the Gold Cup 2003 with its Olympic Team, however FIFA regards those matches as "A". So, in my opinion, the matches played by Mexico and Costa Rica over the next Copa America will be recognized as "A".

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jun 21 11 10:10 PM

The issue is; should the warm-up matches be counted as well? Really a tricky issue and that's why I dislike having non-A teams in any competitions.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jun 22 11 4:45 AM

As I mentioned before, if both countries' FA regard such a match as official A it should be counted as such. Of course I agree with you non A-teams should not be in any competitions, but if a FA decide to send an U-23 or even U-22 side to the Copa America, they are free to do so.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jun 22 11 9:42 AM

Jorge González wrote:
The Copa América is getting worse...

The level of the Copa América this year is not bad. In my opinion, the Copa Libertadores is getting worse and worse. In the '60s and in the '70s, the best Southamerican champions (Pelé, Pedro Rocha, Luis Cubilla, Jairzinho, Ricardo Bochini, Juan Ramón Verón and so on) played in South America, but now the best ones are in here Europe...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help