Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#21 [url]

Jun 23 11 1:42 AM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
As I mentioned before, if both countries' FA regard such a match as official A it should be counted as such. Of course I agree with you non A-teams should not be in any competitions, but if a FA decide to send an U-23 or even U-22 side to the Copa America, they are free to do so.

The problem is - Mexico are playing both Colombia and Honduras at exactly the same time on the same day (the kick off time for the friendly match against Colombia is the same as the Gold Cup semi-final against Honduras).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jun 23 11 6:00 PM

To me this does not sound as a problem. England, Germany, Hungary, Sweden, Argentina and Uruguay used to play with two different teams on the very same day. I don't know if the kick off was also at exactly the very same time but it is likely this happened on some occasions. If not there will be a bigger chance these countries played at least a part of both matches simultaneously. Nevertheless these matches were recognized official by both nations that played the match and FIFA. I don't think the same kick off time at the very time should be a problem. A different time would not have changed the line up of the Mexican teams that played both Colombia and Honduras.

About the 2011 Copa America Dutch Wikipdiasite mentions Mexico and Costa Rica will sen their Olympic team + five older players. I did not find this info in the English version.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_2011

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#23 [url]

Jun 23 11 10:32 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
To me this does not sound as a problem. England, Germany, Hungary, Sweden, Argentina and Uruguay used to play with two different teams on the very same day. I don't know if the kick off was also at exactly the very same time but it is likely this happened on some occasions. If not there will be a bigger chance these countries played at least a part of both matches simultaneously. Nevertheless these matches were recognized official by both nations that played the match and FIFA. I don't think the same kick off time at the very time should be a problem. A different time would not have changed the line up of the Mexican teams that played both Colombia and Honduras.

About the 2011 Copa America Dutch Wikipdiasite mentions Mexico and Costa Rica will sen their Olympic team + five older players. I did not find this info in the English version.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_2011

It depends - Guatemala also done this recently (I think they played El Salvador and Japan on the same day) and both matches were counted as official. Chile also played North Korea and Northern Ireland on the same day. The difference here was that the 2 Guatemala teams and the 2 Chile teams were approximately equal in strength, and it was like the national team was divided in 2. In the Mexican case, one team is clearly stronger than the other.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jun 26 11 8:30 AM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
At least Mexican FA regard the match played on 11 June with its U-22 side against Venezuela as official A-international.
http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/secciones.aspx?s=999&ep=171

However, Mexican FA does not regard the matches against Colombia on 22 June and (I presume) Ecuador on 25 June as official, as the Gold Cup final against USA on 25 June is already included.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jun 28 11 7:27 PM

Here are my predictions...

Group A
1 Argentina
2 Colombia
3 Costa Rica
4 Bolivia

Group B
1 Brazil
2 Paraguay
3 Venezuela (second best third team)
4 Ecuador

Group C
1 Uruguay
2 Chile
3 Mexico (best third team)
4 Peru

Quarterfinals
Argentina-Mexico
Colombia-Chile
Brazil-Venezuela
Uruguay-Paraguay

Semifinals
Argentina-Chile
Brazil-Uruguay

Final
Argentina-Brazil

Champion
Brazil

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jul 4 11 9:08 PM

I find it annoying CONMEBOL and the official CA website has different matchdates for the matches! Were they changed recently or what happened?

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jul 5 11 6:52 PM

trekky76 wrote:
I find it annoying CONMEBOL and the official CA website has different matchdates for the matches! Were they changed recently or what happened?

I love South America and its football, but I have to admit that the South American institutions are often muddling. The regulations are usually eccentric and the organisation leaves much to be desired...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#28 [url]

Jul 5 11 9:35 PM

Mexico and Costa Rica will probably lose a lot of FIFA ranking points due to sending U-22 teams. CONMEBOL really needs to just go back to 10 teams. What does substrength Mexico and Costa Rica bring to the tournament? Does anyone in Mexico or Costa Rica even care? They know it's not their full team, so will they bother watching?

Solution:

2 groups of 5 teams:

Each team plays each other once.

The top team in each group goes through to the semi-final. The 2nd and 3rd placed teams in each group play crossover quarter-finals to determine the other 2 semi-finalists.

Same number of games overall (25), and most matches should be competitive, as 3 out of 5 teams have a chance of reaching the semi-finals.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jul 6 11 1:32 PM

I agree. It usually is a problem whenever CONCACAF and CONMEBOL have their championships in the same year. I guess if it wasn't for the Confederations Cup spot, Mexico would have made Copa América as their priority..

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#30 [url]

Jul 6 11 10:33 PM

Less popular world sports like basketball and handball manage an Americas confederation - I'm sure football can follow suit. Regional qualification, then an Americas championship with 16 teams.

As far as World Cup qualification is concerned, Mexico and USA should be strong enough to qualify among the top 7/8 teams in the combined Americas, but I'm not sure about the UNCAF nations or Canada.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Jul 7 11 5:46 AM

In Argentina it is still the 6th....in Europe it is already 7 july, so local time seems the right time to me....
I think the UNCAF teams and stronger Caribbean team will be able to develop facing stronger opposition and they will cause some upsets, just like in Europe (remember Latvija qualifiyng for Euro 2004); teams like Peru, Bolivia, Venezuela could be eliminated by CONCACAF teams

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jul 7 11 6:02 AM

mcruic wrote:

2 groups of 5 teams:

Each team plays each other once.

Not feasible because one team would be resting on the final round, giving an opportunity for their rivals to fix games. This is of course possible in a four team group as well, but to a lesser extent.

Also, the minimum time necessary to play all games would be lengthened to 15 days (assuming each team is given three days of rest between matches), instead of 11 as in the current arrangement.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#34 [url]

Jul 7 11 9:01 AM

Yes, the length of the tournament may be a problem - but I don't think 15 or even 16 or 17 days is too long (Euro 2012 will be 24 days long, for example).

The 6 teams that are eliminated in group play and in the crossover quarter-finals will play only one more match than they do at present. The 4 semi-finalists will play the same number of games as they do just now.

About fixing games, this is of course possible. But if CONMEBOL was really worried about this, they would have simultaneous kick-off times in the last round of fixtures in the 4-team groups.

Technically, any 5-team qualification group for the World Cup, for example, is open to possibilities of match fixing. And there have been many 5-team groups.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#35 [url]

Jul 7 11 9:03 AM

Alternatively, Suriname and Guyana should be invited to help improve their football. At least they are in South America. The difference between these 2 and the rest of South America is no different than what Venezuela was like not so long ago. They used to lose their matches 5-0 and 6-0, but now they are more even.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jul 7 11 6:45 PM

mcruic wrote:
Alternatively, Suriname and Guyana should be invited to help improve their football. At least they are in South America.

I agree: this can be a good option.
I have a curiosity: how is the level of football in Suriname and in Guyana nowadays? I mean: could they eventually cut a good figure at the Copa América?

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jul 7 11 7:18 PM

Luca wrote:
I have a curiosity: how is the level of football in Suriname and in Guyana nowadays? I mean: could they eventually cut a good figure at the Copa América?

I have asked Surinamese people (who live in Holland) your question some months ago. The optimists say sometimes they might reach the semifinals if Dutch players from Surinamese descent will play for Suriname. If not Suriname will always play with Guyana for the 11th place. Those Surinamese people prefer their country join ConCaCaf. They will be very honoured indeed if their likes will play Brazil, but playing in ConCaCaf zone will give their likes fair chances to win matches.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#38 [url]

Jul 8 11 12:28 AM

Luca wrote:
mcruic wrote:
Alternatively, Suriname and Guyana should be invited to help improve their football. At least they are in South America.

I agree: this can be a good option.

To give a rough example, the worst CONMEBOL team (Bolivia) should win by 3 or 4 goals against either Guyana or Suriname.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jul 8 11 9:05 AM

I've always admired the Surinamese "school". In despite of a small population, that country has been able to produce so many champions. The great obstacle for the Surinamese football is represented by the fact that the best talents move to the Netherlands and decide to represent the Dutch National team. Moreover, I have read that over there the footballers have got an excellent talent, but they don't know nothing about "professional mentality", "tactic discipline" and so on...

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jul 8 11 9:29 AM

Seems Mexican FA is counting their matches as "A" after all. Any idea what Costa Rican FA thinks?

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help