Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 29 11 6:46 PM

Tags : :

What about the qualifiyng tournament? Japan, Australia and S.Korea are sure of a place just like 2 Challenge cup winners....
Can a team like India or N.Korea play both the Challenge cup and the qualifying tournament? Any idea about entries and format?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Oct 9 12 8:17 AM

Considering the weakened pot of qualifying teams, the draw is fairly simple for most. Top two plus the best third place team qualifies. As usual, the toughest challenge will be for AFF teams to qualify.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#9 [url]

Oct 9 12 11:02 AM

Asian Cup Qualifying Draw
Group A
Singapore, Oman, Syria, Jordan

Group B
Lebanon, Thailand, Kuwait, Iran

Group C
Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, China, Iraq

Group D
Malaysia, Yemen, Bahrain, Qatar

Group E
Hong Kong, Vietnam, UAE, Uzbekistan

Yes, I'd say Group C looks tough as well. There is generally at least 1 team with not much chance in each group (Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia/Yemen, Vietnam/Hong Kong), and as trekky said, it's usually the AFF team.

Instead of having the silly "best 3rd-placed team", which is dependent on the teams that the 3rd-placed teams play, and is not really fair, why didn't they just have the Top 4 teams from 2011 automatically qualify instead of the Top 3? That way, Uzbekistan would be an automatic qualifier, and there would be a simple case of the Top 2 in each group qualifying. I'm sure they could find another team to replace Uzbekistan in the qualifying.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 9 12 2:32 PM

it is not a silly rule, the third best, it will give suspense until the last day .... The rule to qualify only the 3 best teams was introduced to give the third place play-off an extra- motivation.
The only strange thing is that only 20 teams of 45 will play this important continental competition.....it is a pity

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#11 [url]

Oct 9 12 10:03 PM

pieter wrote:
it is not a silly rule, the third best, it will give suspense until the last day .... The rule to qualify only the 3 best teams was introduced to give the third place play-off an extra- motivation.
The only strange thing is that only 20 teams of 45 will play this important continental competition.....it is a pity

It may give suspense, but it is not fair to compare the records of teams who play in different groups against different opponents.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Oct 10 12 6:27 AM

that is the effect of the draw: it may be not fair to have Iraq, China and S.Arabia in one group; luck in the draw is part of the system and sometimes weaker teams can qualify ; I do not see an alternativeas long asthey qualify the winners of teh challenge cup

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#13 [url]

Oct 11 12 9:51 PM

pieter wrote:
that is the effect of the draw: it may be not fair to have Iraq, China and S.Arabia in one group; luck in the draw is part of the system and sometimes weaker teams can qualify ; I do not see an alternativeas long asthey qualify the winners of teh challenge cup

I just discovered the reason why the best 3rd-placed team will qualify. It's because Australia qualified as hosts of the 2015 edition AND runners-up of the 2011 edition. So there was one qualification space extra (11 instead of 10). So, it's also just luck that there was an extra place available in the first place.

To calculate the best 3rd-placed team, I think they should only count matches against the Top 2 (qualified) teams. This will minimise the effect of having a weak team (like Malaysia) in the group.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Oct 12 12 9:51 AM

I do not agree, there are no minnows in this competition , so every game has to be counted that is fair for everyone because the rules are known no one can speculate finishing third....It will be good if there are surprises

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#15 [url]

Oct 13 12 9:24 AM

pieter wrote:
I do not agree, there are no minnows in this competition , so every game has to be counted that is fair for everyone because the rules are known no one can speculate finishing third....It will be good if there are surprises

I too like surprises - but it is a lot harder for example, for Indonesia to finish 3rd in their group (with Saudi Arabia, China and Iraq it is almost impossible) than it is for Malaysia (with Yemen in their group, they have some chance) and Hong Kong (against Vietnam they have a chance). I don't think Indonesia are a weaker team than Malaysia or Hong Kong, but they are unfortunate in that they have 3 top-class teams in their group, while Malaysia and Hong Kong only have 2. It's not really fair on Indonesia. What is fair is to count only matches against the top 2 teams - that makes it even and fair for everyone.

Imagine a situation where Hong Kong finish 3rd with 2 wins over Vietnam. And then Indonesia finish 3rd with a win and a draw against Saudi Arabia. In my opinion, Hong Kong doesn't deserve to be classed as a "better 3rd place team" based on those results. A win and a draw against Saudi Arabia is much better than 2 wins over Vietnam.

We already have a situation where 2 AFC Challenge Cup teams get to play in the Asian Cup finals - we don't need to make the list of 16 teams any weaker.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Oct 13 12 12:44 PM

"but it is a lot harder for example, for Indonesia to finish 3rd in their group (with Saudi Arabia, China and Iraq it is almost impossible) than it is for Malaysia (with Yemen in their group, they have some chance) and Hong Kong (against Vietnam they have a chance). "

It is as fair as finishing top two in this group will be very hard; it is simply the effect of the draw to have such "unbalanced" groups. Following this logic, we cannot have draws anymore, we couls simply ban qualifiyng matches and decide which teams are the strongest and let them play the AFC cup.....it is the same in every competition....
it is also unfair Indonesia, Malaysia , etc... cannot play the challenge cup like Turkmenistan or N.Korea

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 4 14 8:28 PM

Jordan qualified today...3 teams to go, no big surprises, seems the Middle East teams are to strong for SEA teams...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help