Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Sep 13 13 3:31 PM

I feel more sympathy for Cape Verde than the others though, as it was a second-order issue (player still suspended despite picking up the card in an earlier match which was itself overturned). It's too easy just to say they are incompetent. I still feel that FIFA needs to work to prevent this happening in advance.
The occasional mistake can happen, there are hundreds of qualifying games for each World Cup, so it's not unlikely that one or two isolated examples may occur.
But there have been too many cases this time in Africa for FIFA to simply shrug off any responsibility. Even if it is not their fault, they need to take action to stop this happening.
The suspended player should never be able to enter the field. If they can detect the error after the match is reported, then they can also detect it BEFORE the match.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Sep 13 13 7:47 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I still feel that FIFA needs to work to prevent this happening in advance.
If they can detect the error after the match is reported, then they can also detect it BEFORE the match.

I don't know how the procedures are nowadays, but in the past FIFA did it. This is a short piece taken from a circular regarding the 1988 Olympic Games, when the rules were rather chaotic:

"In order to avoid problems regarding the eligibility of players, we ask the National Associations which have doubts concerning a player, to request an official confirmation from FIFA as to if said player is eligible or not."

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#43 [url]

Sep 14 13 12:58 AM

With regard to the (simple) task for FIFA of making a list of ineligible players, I somehow don't think they will do this. They are of the opinion that everyone knows the rules (this also applies to reporting of friendly matches/subs/match reports) - but as Neil says, there are far too many cases where they do not seem to know the rules (despite what FIFA believe). How many friendly matches have been removed because the FAs 'forgot' to notify CAF/FIFA, 'forgot' to name neutral officials, 'forgot' they were only allowed 6 subs? Most of these matches seem to be happening in Africa - so clearly, no matter whose fault it is, it is an issue. FIFA and CAF need to get together and do something to stop all these matches being nullified/struck off the records.

I've given up trying to make FIFA understand that they have to take action. FIMA (FIFA's internal committee for international matches) check all the documentation to see whether FIFA has been notified (or not) of matches - but what I don't understand is why they only check AFTER the matches have played.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Sep 14 13 8:00 AM

FIFA cannot make a list of illegible players...it is up to the FA's to know the rules and to ask FIFA if they have any doubts...It happens only in Africa where a lot of FA's are very bad organised and that is a pity.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#45 [url]

Sep 14 13 3:37 PM

Of course FIFA can make a list of ineligible players - they should already have one!

It's FIFA that makes the decision to make a player ineligible in the first place. How can you make a decision and not have any record of it? If an FA asks FIFA when they have a doubt about a player - what do you think FIFA will do? Of course, they will look at their list of ineligible players. So all they need to do is make it public.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Sep 14 13 7:19 PM

ineligible players: I hope you mean : players that are suspended, becaus ealmost every player in the world is ineligible for Cap Verde... :)
he FA's have a big responsability, I do not see this kind of incidents outside Africa ......they have to organise decently

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Sep 14 13 7:36 PM

Yes of course the FAs have responsibilities, and it is really their fault. But shouldn't FIFA help them? If FIFA has a role at all, it is surely to help out it's member associations. Some years ago FIFA paid for every association to have a fax machine. It has also spent a lot of money helping build pitches in exotic places. It can easily spend a few minutes maintaining a list of yellow cards.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Sep 16 13 11:32 AM

Back to the qualification process, the draw for the final round was made today:

Ivory Coast v Senegal
Ethiopia v Nigeria
Tunisia (pending appeal?)  v Cameroon
Ghana v Egypt
Burkina Faso v Algeria

1st legs 11-15 Oct, 2nd legs 15-19 Nov.

Looks like all 5 qualifiers for 2010 have avoided each other, and Ivory Coast v Senegal has some history behind it...

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Sep 17 13 12:00 AM

Go on Ethiopia, you can do it! (he said, without conviction)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#51 [url]

Sep 22 13 5:19 PM

Sudan 1-3 Lesotho apparently, on 8th September. All live scores around the time had 2-3 (and FIFA itself had 2-3 on its site).

The official result on FIFA.com is now 1:3. The second Sudan goal seems to have been imagined.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Sep 23 13 3:11 PM

Anyway Lesotho scored their first WC-wins in this campaign and an away win against Sudan is a surprise...

problems with Liberia fielding an ineligible player against Angola.... FIFA will try to prevent this in the future....Hope they will have a solution...

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Sep 23 13 6:04 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Just as well I didn't bet on that one. Amazing such errors can still be made.

Couldn't agree more, especially at international level at this day and age. Administratively, African international football matches in 2013 have been inconsistent to say the least.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#55 [url]

Sep 24 13 2:34 AM

FIFA will only have a solution when they start caring and when they listen. As far as I am aware, these 2 events rarely occur at the same time.  Too many people high up in FIFA with their heads up their own arses and too many people trying to get power, which means that the people in FIFA who actually want things to change are squashed like flies.  Also too many people in FIFA who have virtually no knowledge of football.

I'm not being cynical - I'm being honest.  

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Sep 24 13 2:37 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Sep 24 13 8:54 AM

I can sort of understand a "live score" error by one individual who thought there was a goal but disallowed or something. But surely somebody checks the news reports from Sudan, or has a TV link, or something... it's 2013, Sudan is not a small country where there are delays finding news.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#57 [url]

Sep 25 13 1:18 PM

For World Cup qualifiers, FIFA should have a representative at every match (1 person with a computer/phone). It shouldn't be too hard to get internet/phone access at a national stadium. However, FIFA is regularly 3 or 4 minutes behind the livescore sites at updating events from their own qualifiers.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Sep 25 13 2:14 PM

I don't think FIFA does anything themselves. All that admin stuff is outsourced to other companies.
Unfortunately they aren't doing any good job. Even this year there are tons of mistakes in the qualifier reports and it's amazing they can't even spell the names right.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Sep 25 13 9:12 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
FIFA should have a representative at every match (1 person with a computer/phone).

They do, it's the match commissioner.  Also you could argue the referees are also FIFA representatives.
But, these guys don't provide live score updates, which are not part of the running and administration of the competition, but are only necessary to keep viewers on the FIFA website.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Oct 2 13 3:25 PM

Cape Verde's appeal to FIFA has been rejected, apparently the case is still open to be taken to CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport), but they'd better get a move on if they're doing that though...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help