Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

Site Admin

Lead

Jun 3 11 2:59 AM

Tags : :

I'm working on adding 2 (maybe 3) more sports to the site over the next few months - does anybody have any preferences?

For which of these team sports would you be interested to see results/fixtures/rankings? (Result)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#3 [url]

Jun 4 11 11:30 AM

I had not actually thought about U-23 or B international matches.

But if I included U-23, I don't think it would be fair for UEFA teams (who play an U-21 championship). Most European teams do not have an U-23 team. Also, I believe CONMEBOL uses their U-20 Championship to qualify teams for the Olympic Games, so I'd probably have to include U-21 and U-20 as well.

For B teams - at the moment, I include B results in the main site if the B team plays an A team. There are not many matches between B teams, and a lot of countries don't even have a B team.

So, I think I would prefer to stay with full national teams for each sport.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 4 12 11:07 PM

mcruic wrote:

I agree. I have a few in mind: Inline Hockey, Ball Hockey, Street Hockey, Sepak Takraw. By the way, great job adding kabaddi, how many people are working on this site?

nfm24 wrote:
Maybe Gaelic Football, or Shinty.

I don't think Shinty and Gaelic Football are played at an international level besides the annual shinty-hurling match (Ireland vs Scotland) and international rules football match (Ireland vs Australia), but correct me if I'm wrong.

I would actually like to see the international football match rated in with Australian Rules football rankings, at a higher weight of course. I would also like to see shinty-hurling weighted higher and mix it with lacrosse, but this is probably too much of a stretch.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

Aug 5 12 12:12 PM

Blake Haydn wrote:
mcruic wrote:

I agree. I have a few in mind: Inline Hockey, Ball Hockey, Street Hockey, Sepak Takraw. By the way, great job adding kabaddi, how many people are working on this site?

nfm24 wrote:
Maybe Gaelic Football, or Shinty.

I don't think Shinty and Gaelic Football are played at an international level besides the annual shinty-hurling match (Ireland vs Scotland) and international rules football match (Ireland vs Australia), but correct me if I'm wrong.

I would actually like to see the international football match rated in with Australian Rules football rankings, at a higher weight of course. I would also like to see shinty-hurling weighted higher and mix it with lacrosse, but this is probably too much of a stretch.

For the sports mentioned at the bottom - I don't like to mix different sports, so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this. Despite their similarities, lacrosse/shinty/hurling are all different sports, as are Aussie Rules/Gaelic Football/International Rules. For this reason, until Australia put together an international team for Aussie Rules, they will not appear on the ranking. I'd thought about how to get Australia into the ranking before, but couldn't find a satisfactory way to do so. New Zealand played Aussie Rules against Australian states back in the 1920s, so it's possible to get an idea of the relative strength of, say, Victoria (the best Australian state of the time), and make Victoria's ranking Australia's ranking. However, the vast amount of time that has passed since these games makes any conclusion about their current ranking dubious.

For the 4 sports you mentioned to add:
Sepak Takraw - too difficult to find historical results. For this reason, it's impossible to build up a meaningful database of results on which to base a ranking.
Inline Hockey - 2 different governing bodies (IIHF and FIRS), playing 2 different versions of the game. So, I'd have to create 2 separate rankings. Colombia, for example, play inline hockey (under FIRS) but are not members of IIHF.
Ball Hockey/Street Hockey - From what I can see by looking at the ISBHF site, there is the "Street & Ball Hockey World Championship", which suggests that these 2 sports are the same. Is this correct? At least, I could not find any international championships for street hockey alone.

There's also a sport called skater hockey - but it's played by only 9 or 10 countries worldwide.

To answer your question - I work on this site alone. Hence I have to be very careful how many sports I add :-) Of course, if anyone can direct me to historical results resources, I will be happy to add more sports. But I simply don't have enough time to conduct extensive research into adding results archives for more sports at the moment.

For any new sports, I would like to have all results from international championships (men & women) back to at least 2005, and back to 2000 if possible. All sports on my site go back to 2000, with the exception of curling, which dates back only to 2005 results (due to unavailability of full results from earlier).

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 16 12 10:16 PM

mcruic wrote:

Sepak Takraw - too difficult to find historical results. For this reason, it's impossible to build up a meaningful database of results on which to base a ranking.
Inline Hockey - 2 different governing bodies (IIHF and FIRS), playing 2 different versions of the game. So, I'd have to create 2 separate rankings. Colombia, for example, play inline hockey (under FIRS) but are not members of IIHF.
Ball Hockey/Street Hockey - From what I can see by looking at the ISBHF site, there is the "Street & Ball Hockey World Championship", which suggests that these 2 sports are the same. Is this correct? At least, I could not find any international championships for street hockey alone.

There's also a sport called skater hockey - but it's played by only 9 or 10 countries worldwide.

To answer your question - I work on this site alone. Hence I have to be very careful how many sports I add :-) Of course, if anyone can direct me to historical results resources, I will be happy to add more sports. But I simply don't have enough time to conduct extensive research into adding results archives for more sports at the moment.

For any new sports, I would like to have all results from international championships (men & women) back to at least 2005, and back to 2000 if possible. All sports on my site go back to 2000, with the exception of curling, which dates back only to 2005 results (due to unavailability of full results from earlier).

I think it's pretty remarkable how you do all this yourself, I couldn't imagine that.

I'm sure the information for Sepak Takraw is available, just in Asian languages. I had a lot of trouble finding any data for it in English also. And yeah from the research I did on inline/roller/street hockey it's all pretty disorganized, even more so than other international sports which are already painfully disorganized. Skater hockey is a new one for me.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#10 [url]

Aug 17 12 1:15 PM

Blake Haydn wrote:
mcruic wrote:

I think it's pretty remarkable how you do all this yourself, I couldn't imagine that.

I'm sure the information for Sepak Takraw is available, just in Asian languages. I had a lot of trouble finding any data for it in English also. And yeah from the research I did on inline/roller/street hockey it's all pretty disorganized, even more so than other international sports which are already painfully disorganized. Skater hockey is a new one for me.

I might have another look for sepak takraw results in other languages if I get time. I think if I can get complete results from international tournaments back to 2005, then I could definitely add it.

There's also pétanque and bowls...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#12 [url]

Sep 27 15 11:21 PM

4 new sports should be added soon, bringing the total to 54.

3x3 basketball, shinty, sepak takraw (having a few problems getting results at the moment, but am in correspondence with the governing body and they seem keen to help) and...... quidditch.

For shinty, only 2 teams play internationally (England and USA), but I will use 3,000 domestic shinty results from Scotland in order to also give Scotland a ranking, which will of course make them the best team in the world. If this seems a bit like a complete waste of time, it probably is - but I do enjoy a spot of frivolity for no reason!

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#16 [url]

Nov 25 16 10:45 PM

International names of this old horse game: pushball on horseback, pushball a cheval (F), horse soccer, equine soccer, equine pushball, paardenvoetbal (NL), horse football, hoofball

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 27 16 10:00 AM

Diego Armando Maradona used to juggle with a similar ball icon_smile.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help