Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 20 13 10:09 AM

This competition saw a singular fact, since it was won by a player born on February 29: Taylor Twellman (USA), whose date of birth is 29-02-1980. According to my investigations, only another player born on this day won an international competition for national teams: Tinoi Christie (New Zealand), born on 29-02-1976, conquered the 1998 OFC Nations Cup.

On the other hand, three players won an international competition for clubs. Manoel Maria (Brazil), born on 29-02-1948, conquered the 1968 Intercontinental Supercup for Santos; Tamaz Kostava (Soviet Union), born on 29-02-1956, won the 1980/81 European Cup Winners' Cup for Dinamo Tbilisi; Hans-Jürgen Sperlich (West Germany), born on 29-02-1948, conquered the 1976/77 European Cup Winners' Cup for Hamburger.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Nov 20 13 4:29 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Is there any date with no champions born? We can call this international losers' day ;-)

If there is it will probably be in December.

My bet is on December 21, six months away from the birthday of Michel Platini, the only player to appear on a World Cup match on his birthday more than once (and he celebrated with a goal each time).

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Nov 20 13 7:39 PM

With all respect for footballers born on December 21, but it seems that this date is definetely not lucky... Antony de Ávila (December 21, 1963)  LOST 5 COPA LIBERTADORES FINALS!!!

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

May 3 14 10:36 AM

for the GC 2015 CFU and UNCAF send 4 teams and will play off for the 12th place in the finals.... so there might be 5 Caribbean teams in the finals...

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jan 17 15 6:27 PM

Just wait until UEFA Euro 2020...

And it's not a complete instance... but in 2007 Asian Cup co-hosts Vietnam finished 2nd in their group... the schedule meaning they had to play their Quarter-Final match in Thailand.

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Jan 17 15 6:29 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#49 [url]

Mar 26 15 5:44 PM

I think the away goal could prove decisive for Honduras. I predict a 2-0 home win for Honduras.  As far as I know, French Guiana has never played outside the Caribbean or France.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Mar 26 15 6:49 PM

anyway a good result for them, hope they can qualify

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#51 [url]

Mar 26 15 7:14 PM

pieter wrote:
anyway a good result for them, hope they can qualify

Yes. It was a brilliant result.  I don't think anyone expected them to win, and I don't think anyone would have predicted they would score 3 goals.  If they get to the Gold Cup, will be a great experience for them to play against a world-class team like USA - probably the best-ranked team they would have played against.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Mar 26 15 11:30 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
As far as I know, French Guiana has never played outside the Caribbean or France.

They have played in South America.... (at least, geographically).

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Mar 27 15 7:28 PM

Only just noticed, amid the excitement of French Guiana pumping Honduras, that USVI won away in Barbados.... surely that is a much bigger upset? Not that Barbados are any good, but even so. And Belize 0-0 Cayman Islands, can't decide whether it was a shock or not.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#55 [url]

Mar 27 15 9:22 PM

I think Belize were expected to beat Cayman Islands, yes, but maybe by just 2 goals. I expect they will get through either on away goals or with a narrow win in the Cayman Islands.

USVI winning in Barbados was a big shock. Barbados apparently dominated but just couldn't score.

Dominica 3-2 BVI was also a bit closer than expected considering Dominica beat them 10-0 just 4 years ago.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Mar 28 15 6:46 PM

Perhaps in future they will play their international matches in England or the Netherlands. Somewhat like South American sides playing them in Europe.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Mar 30 15 10:28 PM

Boo. Honduras better have more to offer than they did at the World Cup, just thuggishly occupying space and clumping people.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help