Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 26 12 5:56 PM

Tags : :

Anyone have any idea why Spain has agreed to play a friendly away against Purto Rico on August 15th? Seems an odd (though refreshing) match, especially at this time of the year.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 27 12 10:11 AM

They have to play somewhere. Perhaps other countries are scared of playing Spain ;-) Maybe it will be a holiday for the team, or a charity / tourism promotion.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Mar 27 12 10:24 AM

Yes, it does smack of some kind of "let's really get the game off the ground in Puerto Rico" move. There's no bigger Hispanic team than Spain at the moment, so they were the perfect choice. Not sure how seriously Spain will take the game, given that it comes just at the start of next season, and also a thrashing for Puerto Rico may have the opposite effect and turn people off the national team. Maybe a diplomatic 3-0, or 3-1 - just to give the home crowd something to cheer about.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 27 12 12:41 PM

It's not really that uncommon for Caribbean teams to play European teams. Many teams like Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands were on Caribbean tours before. It will be interesting to see the squad list.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 27 12 1:42 PM

Scandinavian teams are world-travellers....Spain never played friendlies in the Caribbean or in Asia, Africa or Oceania....(I think)
It seems this is changing with the world title: a world champion needs to play "everywhere"

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Mar 27 12 2:29 PM

The difference is that recently, most of these top teams played against TOP Caribbean countries (Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago). Northern Ireland (though not a top team) played Barbados and Saint Kitts & Nevis. Also, Norway (not a top team at the time) played Saint Lucia, Grenada, Martinique and Guadeloupe. Netherlands played in Curaçao when Curaçao were a Caribbean power.

Puerto Rico is not a top team in the Caribbean. In fact, they have been consistently one of the worst teams in the region, and it's only the last 3 or 4 years that they've started to improve - but they are still only at the level of Nicaragua at best.

In European terms, it's the equivalent of an Andorra v Spain friendly match. It's not that they are playing in the Caribbean that is strange - it's the strength of their opposition.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Mar 27 12 2:43 PM

I read somewhere (possibly a link on the Federaciones Independentes facebook page) that Spain are being paid over $1 million to play this game. Sorry I can't provide a source.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 27 12 3:00 PM

It is almost certain they get a lot of money; it is a kind of exhibition game and if there are sponsors in P.Rico it is a good opportunity for people there to see a top team...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Mar 27 12 4:49 PM

Brazil seem to be the only major footballing nation that regularly play matches against vastly lower ranked countries, away, like Thailand, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Haiti, Gabon. Pressure from their sponsors has always been cited as the reason. I expect the Spanish federation has been offered a lot of money to play the fixture, they went to Costa Rica a few months ago, but there are a lot more better ranked Spanish speaking countries who they could have played. That said, I think it is really refreshing to see matches like this. Hopefully it will encourage other top ranked countries to do likewise.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 6 12 2:47 PM

pieter wrote:
Scandinavian teams are world-travellers....Spain never played friendlies in the Caribbean or in Asia, Africa or Oceania....(I think)
It seems this is changing with the world title: a world champion needs to play "everywhere"

12-11-1961 WCQ in Casablanca (Morocco)

That's the only game I found. And, actually, you were right Spain did not play friendlies in Caribbean, Asia, Africa and Oceania. They just travelled hispanic countries like Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay...

I aten't dead !

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#12 [url]

Aug 16 12 5:47 PM

pieter wrote:
anyway a good result for P.Rico: Spain played with most of their top players....

Spain apparently had 32 shots in the match and Puerto Rico had 1!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 16 12 6:24 PM

I saw some of the game on TVE and I did not saw P.Rico make any danger, the score was 0-2 When I got to bed and I expected 0-6 or something.....so I was surprised by the result

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help