Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 27 12 6:23 PM

Great work Nico. NMI will no doubt struggle in the Challenge Cup qualification (Draw tomorrow).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Nov 27 12 6:34 PM

Lucky I was able to help. Yes they will struggle not to get humiliated at the qualifying but Guam seems to get stronger. They even will field a player from the second league in Denmark when they compete at the EAFF qualifying this December.

NMI seems to field +35 players from the USA and native youth players without much experience. But impressive how active they are and also playing regularly in Guam, Taiwan etc. without beeing FIFA members and so don´t get FIFA funding. But I believe the AFC helps them a lot.

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Nov 27 12 6:43 PM

When have they played in Taiwan? I'm trying to find a lineup from Saturday's game.

I still don't know if they will meet 1 (2-legged) of 3 teams (group) in qualification. If Bangladesh are playing then I suspect it will be groups.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jun 10 14 4:28 PM

The NMIFA was supposed to be given full member status of AFC at the 2014 Congress (it has been an associate member since 2009).
Does anybody know if this has happened yet?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#45 [url]

Jun 11 14 10:28 AM

The AFC's 2014 Congress page doesn't mention it - NMI are listed as a regular member on the members page, but I think they have been throughout their associate period.

Other interesting news is that a Central Asian Zone is to be created - the 4 "stans" + Iran from WAFF and Afghanistan from SAFF.

So now we have:
WAFF: 12 teams
CAFF: 6 teams
SAFF: 7 teams
EAFF: 10 teams
AFF: 11 teams
+ Australia

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jun 11 14 9:24 PM

Northern Mariana Islands

According to the last press release from the AFC (in January I think) that this would not take place until the next ordinary congress in 2015, the weeks AFC congress was an Extrordinary one as they still only hold them every 2 years.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jul 25 14 12:49 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
The AFC's 2014 Congress page doesn't mention it - NMI are listed as a regular member on the members page, but I think they have been throughout their associate period.

Other interesting news is that a Central Asian Zone is to be created - the 4 "stans" + Iran from WAFF and Afghanistan from SAFF.

So now we have:
WAFF: 12 teams
CAFF: 6 teams
SAFF: 7 teams
EAFF: 10 teams
AFF: 11 teams
+ Australia
Yes but Central Asian zone isn't the same as CAFF. Iran already were part of Central/South Asian zone prior while Australia is part of ASEAN zone without being AFF members.
I believe zones has to do with number of seats on the executive committee and that sort. Remains to see if Iran and Afghanistan will leave WAFF and SAFF resp.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#50 [url]

Jul 25 14 9:15 AM

Apparently, Iran were behind the creation of CAFF because of disputes with the (otherwise Arabic-speaking) WAFF.

What I meant was a Central Asian FEDERATION is to be created, and Iran will join (leaving the West Asian FEDERATION).

I think it makes sense for the 6 nations to join CAFF, as otherwise, 4 of their national teams have no regional championship to play in.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jul 25 14 6:17 PM

I've always thought Central Asian teams should join SAFF. If Afghanistan depart it will weaken SAFF even further I think. However a joint championship between Central and South Asia could be interesting. Sort of like between CECAFA/COSAFA.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#52 [url]

Jul 25 14 11:06 PM

I think it makes sense to stick with the Olympic regions. The Central Asian Games (for example) exists or existed, as do the South Asian Games. I don't think Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan have anything to gain from playing weak South Asian teams. There is no rivalry there. However, there is a lot of rivalry among 'the stans' and also Iran. The inclusion of Kazakhstan would have made it stronger, but they've committed themselves to Europe. Personally, I think it's a decent sub-confederation. Iran and Uzbekistan are 2 strong teams (the presence of Uzbekistan would ensure Iran sent a competitive team), and the other 4 teams can be competitive on their day. I don't think the Central Asian teams have much to learn from South Asian teams. If anything, if they were going to merge with another region, the CAFF would be much better joining WAFF than SAFF.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Jul 26 14 9:40 AM

Iran has plenty of experience in playing other teams from Asia, but they do not manage to arrange many matches against good opposition from Europe or South America so I suppose that would be the focus of their A national team. Tournaments like WAFF or any proposed CAFF are nowadays more about experimenting or preparing Olympic teams.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Sep 1 14 3:52 PM

Gotta love facebook. A good source for old football results and information in general.

In the 1980´s the FA at the time was called "Marianas Soccer Association". Presdient was Kim An Young.
I believe this was the FA which was associated OFC member as well as the FA that had the intention to send a team to the 1983 South Pacific Games but withdrew.

Season 1981 (ended in February)
1. "Saipanese"
2. Inter-Con
3. "Korean Team"
4. Garapan
5. Tanapag

Season 1982/83
known results:

InterCon over Chinese by forfeit (Team Chinese didn´t have enough players)

Garapan - Chinese 11:0 
3 goals by John Wayne(not joking :)
2 goals Dennis Camacho
2 goals Ike Taitano
2 goals Vidal Camacho
1 goal Inos Yamada
1 goal Mark Camacho

Korea Soccer Victory - Saipanese 3:6 (3:1 halftime)
1 goal Moon Sae Chang    1 goal Norman Palacios
1 goal Hong Song Chan     1 goal Leo Mendiola
1 goal Chang Whan Jang    2 goals Oscar Pangelinan
                                          1 goal Lucio Aldan
                                           1 goal Pete Fejeran

Korea Soccer Victory - InterCon 3:2 (2:1 halftime)
1 goal Kim Jin Young          2 goals Mehadi
1 goal Kim Kwang Young
1 goal Kim An Young

Garapan over Chines by forfeit

Major´s Cup Soccer League 
Team standings as of 27.12.81
    Team                             won    loss
1. Saipanese                        4         0
2. Garapan Kickers             3         1
3. Korea Soccer Victory     2          2
4. InterCon                         1          3
5. Chinese    0          5

There was also a tournament called Y´s Islanders Tournament.
It was organised by the Saipan Soccer Association (president Kim An Young).
I believe the Saipan Soccer Association and the Marianas Soccer Association were the same.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Sep 1 14 4:04 PM

Following resulst are from an unknown tournament probably the league but the year is unclear.

The Islanders - Village Boys
1 goal Leo Mendiola

The Saipanese - Garapan Kickers 7:1 (2:0 halftime)
1 goal Elias Mailti        1 goal Ike Tatiano
1 goal Nick Aldan
2 goals Leo Mendiola
1 goal Joe Duenas
1 Nick Aldan
1 John Faisao
InterCon - Kamikazi 8:1

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Sep 1 14 4:59 PM

Leo Mendiola also trialled for the 2007 NMI team to play vs Guam, but was injured during training shortly before the final selection... assuming it was the same player that is quite a remarkable longevity.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Sep 1 14 6:45 PM

Yes and right now he is in Palau and plays there in the league. I´ve also read he is from the Marshall Islands. Considering his age football must have some kind of backround in the Marshall Islands as well when he started playing.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Sep 6 14 12:55 AM

If he moves into sports administration he will be the new Napoleon Spitz.
If he moves into politics he will be the new Kim Il Sung.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help