Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Aug 27 12 7:43 PM

I still have a great curiosity about the AFC Challenge Cup: what is the point system adopted by FIFA for this competition? I mean: does FIFA treat it as a proper Continental Cup or as a Continental Cup qualifiers?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Aug 28 12 12:34 PM

Luca wrote:
… does FIFA treat it (AFC Challenge Cup) as a proper Continental Cup or as a Continental Cup qualifiers?

… As a Continental Cup qualifiers! But: only the final round. The first round (qualification) is defined as 'friendlies'.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Aug 28 12 6:56 PM

ctr wrote:
Luca wrote:
… does FIFA treat it (AFC Challenge Cup) as a proper Continental Cup or as a Continental Cup qualifiers?

… As a Continental Cup qualifiers! But: only the final round. The first round (qualification) is defined as 'friendlies'.

Thank you: interesting explanation.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#24 [url]

Nov 29 13 3:57 PM

Biggest mover in this month's rankings - CUBA - naturally! I mean, not playing for 4 months, losing your last match 6-1 to Panama. Clearly that merits a 27 place rise in your ranking! Wow, I love the FIFA rankings, they are so good!

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Nov 29 13 5:00 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Biggest mover in this month's rankings - CUBA - naturally! I mean, not playing for 4 months, losing your last match 6-1 to Panama. Clearly that merits a 27 place rise in your ranking! Wow, I love the FIFA rankings, they are so good!

Looks like the Boss Hogg rankings. Nothing will surprise. Nothing.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#27 [url]

Nov 29 13 11:13 PM

I think FIFA want to move their headquarters to Cuba, to avoid criticism and make it easier to smoke cigars. But first Cuba need to have a ranking of 47, to match the number of Sepp Blatter's working brain cells.  Last year, he lost 5 brain cells in a fight with a paper bag (which he won).

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Nov 30 13 11:16 AM

Reading the atricle I can say FIFA rankings is ridiculous. Teams can win points even when they lose, teams can losing points even if they win. The world upside down! A system like Elo rankings i.e. looks far more fair. Two teams play each other. If team A win i.e. 10 points their opponents will lose the same amount of points.

BTW I remember sometimes FIFA changes the formula, probably in order to get both World Cup finalists on the top 2 places. Where I come from they call this manipulating. Elo rating positions of World Cup finalists (after the match)

1930: 2. Uruguay, 1. Argentina
1934: 1. Italy, 7. Czechoslovakia
1938: 1. Italy, 6. Hungary
1950: 7. Uruguay, 2. Brazil
1954: 3. Germany, 1. Hungary
1958: 1. Brazil, 7. Sweden
1962: 1. Brazil, 3. Czechoslovakia
1966: 1. England, 2. Germany
1970: 1. Brazil, 4. Italy
1974: 1. Germany, 2. Netherlands
1978: 3. Argentina, 2. Nertherlands
1982: 2. Italy, 3. Germany
1986: 1. Argentina, 5. Germany
1990: 1. Germany, 13. Argentina
1994: 1. Brazil, 2. Italy
1998: 1. France, 2. Brazil
2002: 1. Brazil, 5. Germany
2006. 1. Italy, 2. France
2010: 1. Spain, 3. Netherlands

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#30 [url]

Nov 30 13 8:58 PM

Put it this way - a 9-0 win away to Spain in a friendly is worth 600 points. A 1-0 win at home to Latvia in a qualifying match is worth 607.5 points.

Which one do you think is harder to do?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Nov 30 13 9:12 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Put it this way - a 9-0 win away to Spain in a friendly is worth 600 points. A 1-0 win at home to Latvia in a qualifying match is worth 607.5 points.

Which one do you think is harder to do?

Beating Latvia 1-0 smiley: roll How about you?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#32 [url]

Feb 13 14 2:35 PM

Cape Verde are 27th in the World Rankings, above the likes of Czech Republic and a full 23 places above Japan and 44 places above South Korea.

Did I miss something? When did Cape Verde become the 3rd best team in Africa?

Oh, wait, I forgot. The FIFA rankings are crap.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Feb 13 14 3:45 PM

But don't say FIFA is not very quick in taking action anymore. When I gave a comment at FIFA's Facebook site and gave a link Elo rankings is more logical and FIFA's list is more like a Boss Hogg ranking it was removed by them within in a minute. Probably even within half a minute. So FIFA can react very fast and taking action very fastsmiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Feb 14 14 9:37 PM

Can we again see the "meta-rankings", i.e. the comparison between ranking systems in success of prediction of upcoming games? Except this time add in also a "pub ranking", where you get some bloke in a pub to just put the teams in an order which seems roughly correct to him. I expect that the pub ranking will be better than FIFA's, but worse than all proper rankings.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#37 [url]

Feb 25 14 4:04 AM

I think 14 of the 16 teams who played in CHAN lost ranking points because they played the CHAN finals. Nigeria qualified for the World Cup (Cape Verde didn't), but somehow, Cape Verde is above Nigeria.

About the removal of comments mentioned above - I have been given a 'warning' by e-mail from someone at FIFA that my behaviour is not very professional (because I used Twitter to say that FIFA rankings were rubbish). I replied and said that what I said was true, so I wouldn't be changing my opinion. It was apparently not professional because I am an employee of FIFA (I am not really, I have a freelance contract with them, and receive a very small amount every 3 months, but I don't work directly for them).

I detest this type of behaviour (you must not criticise people you work for) - why not? If they do something deserving of criticism, they should be criticised.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#38 [url]

Oct 23 14 1:59 PM

Latest FIFA rankings, with respect to AFF (ASEAN) teams. Does anybody agree these represent the true strength of these teams? Personally, Thailand being 8th is more than a bit strange. Philippines certainly not the best either (despite their recent improvement). Laos are not better than Thailand, and shouldn't be placed there in any self-respecting ranking system.

1. Philippines
2. Vietnam
3. Burma
4. Laos
5. Malaysia
6. Indonesia
7. Singapore
8. Thailand
9. East Timor
10. Cambodia
11. Brunei

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 23 14 9:50 PM

According to the Elo ratings Thailand is the #1 of these teams, Vietnam #2, Indonesia #3 and Philippines #4.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help